Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Exhaust Install help

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 07:48 PM
slow_zo6
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Exhaust Install help

Hey guys sorry to disappoint by not posting the usual “which oil or oil filter should I use” thread but I’m trying to get my exhaust bolted up on the Z.
Headers fit fine-just trying to get the pipe between the x-pipe to the factory npp mufflers in place. Everything was bought from the same place(tps) so they should work together although it’s easier said than done especially trying to do it on jack stands. I had everything loosely clamped after the headers but my issue is the pipe after the x-pipe seems too long to fit with the stock npp system. Snapped a few pics to make sure I’ve got it all situated correctly.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:39 PM
EviLS7
Pro

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts

Its a pain in the ***, but you will definitely need another set of hands to help guide and move into place. I am going to be welding in some v-bands to avoid this slip fit crap in the future.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:52 PM
slow_zo6
Pro

Originally Posted by EviLS7
Its a pain in the ***, but you will definitely need another set of hands to help guide and move into place. I am going to be welding in some v-bands to avoid this slip fit crap in the future.
exhaust is pretty straight forward so I don’t get what the issue is unless the parts aren’t correct which the company has already insisted they are.
Should I be able to get everything on with the stock npp mufflers completely in place?

Last edited by slow_zo6; 03-17-2019 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:10 PM
zblackz06
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

When I installed headers on to my Corsa system I had to remove the spring hangers off of the muffler.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:30 PM
slow_zo6
Pro

Originally Posted by zblackz06
When I installed headers on to my Corsa system I had to remove the spring hangers off of the muffler.
yea I’ve got them removed but even with the mufflers tilted forward all the way it looks like the pipes are too long to fit in between.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:20 AM
99Hawk262
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Have you ensured each of the slip joints are pushed in as far as they can go? They are likely tight, but if each one isn’t fully seated that could add quite a bit of length...something small and simple that could make the install darn near impossible.

Last edited by 99Hawk262; 03-18-2019 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:53 PM
slow_zo6
Pro

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
Have you ensured each of the slip joints are pushed in as far as they can go? They are likely tight, but if each one isn’t fully seated that could add quite a bit of length...something small and simple that could make the install darn near impossible.
yes sir. From eyeballing it the pipe appears to be 3-4 inches too long which has me questioning if it’s really the correct part. Hopefully I’ll be able to figure something out. Stupid crap like this has me tired of messing with cars.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:07 PM
Dfell25
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have experienced the exact same thing with a header xpipe combo I purchased recently. Albiet on my 2010 grand sport but what i ended up having to do was cut a few inches off the pipes going from the xpipe to the axel back and that gave just enough room and them I lengthened the slit cut in the pipe so they can conform down onto the other pipe, it wasnt an easy install in anyway and I had access to a lift while doing it. It was such a struggle I ended up receiving a partial refund for my trouble my next plan is to weld in V-Bands to get rid of some of the slip fit issues. Best of luck to you.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 05:11 AM
slow_zo6
Pro

Originally Posted by Dfell25
I have experienced the exact same thing with a header xpipe combo I purchased recently. Albiet on my 2010 grand sport but what i ended up having to do was cut a few inches off the pipes going from the xpipe to the axel back and that gave just enough room and them I lengthened the slit cut in the pipe so they can conform down onto the other pipe, it wasnt an easy install in anyway and I had access to a lift while doing it. It was such a struggle I ended up receiving a partial refund for my trouble my next plan is to weld in V-Bands to get rid of some of the slip fit issues. Best of luck to you.
i figured that was the next step. Sounds simple when I think about it in my head.
Next time I’ll be sure to only purchase from known brands/vendors instead of a fairly new company with subpar customer service.
Thanks for the input!

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust Install help

Quick Reply: Exhaust Install help