Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Head Gasket likely blown. What else to check?

Old 04-27-2019, 02:15 PM
Dwebby
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Gasket likely blown. What else to check?

Greetings Corvette experts,

Two days ago I bought an '06 Z06 with 37k miles on it. Midway through my 600-mile drive home the engine temp gauge shot through the roof accompanied by some metallic rattling noise (sounds like a paper clip rattling inside an empty tin can) whilst doing 80 mph @ 4,000 rpm. I immediately pulled off the interstate and shut the car down. After limping it to a close by mechanic shop, the oil is chocolate milk (coolant mixed with oil). My assumption is that the head gasket failed possibly due to dry rot or hard abuse by prior owners. It is an HCI car (Heads, Cam, Intake) and very clean inside and out. Typically signs of abuse are easy to spot but during test drive this car idled smoothly (no knocks or ticks) with clean shifts, clean revs, crisp braking, and easy startup.

I do not know the cam specs but the heads are CNC ported West Coast heads. Also has Katech valve covers with coil pack relocation kit and a 102mm intake.

Based on symptoms I am thinking head gasket, but want to know what other key elements need to be checked once the heads are removed. Lifters, pushrods, springs, pistons? If it is simply a head gasket, what should I expect in terms of cost?

Thank you in advance for any advice and info!
Old 04-27-2019, 10:20 PM
Jayfabs
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 138 Posts

Were you doing any pulls?
Old 04-27-2019, 11:39 PM
Dwebby
Heel & Toe

Default No pulls

No, I never got on it. I had just taken it to a Chevy dealership to replace some faulty fuel injector o-rings (they looked dry-rotted) and the mechanic said to run slightly higher rpm for a bit to burn any excess fuel. I ran around 4k rpm on the interstate for about 15 minutes when this happened. No white smoke clouds, just the symptoms I described earlier.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:54 PM
pjazz
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I'd say if the heads are going to be removed all the above should be checked. Just a head gasket repair just a guess about $1700 parts and Labor?

Last edited by pjazz; 04-27-2019 at 11:55 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:58 PM
pjazz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dwebby
No, I never got on it. I had just taken it to a Chevy dealership to replace some faulty fuel injector o-rings (they looked dry-rotted) and the mechanic said to run slightly higher rpm for a bit to burn any excess fuel. I ran around 4k rpm on the interstate for about 15 minutes when this happened. No white smoke clouds, just the symptoms I described earlier.
To me it almost sounds like the dealer might of done a shoddy job.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:51 AM
mdopole1
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by pjazz
I'd say if the heads are going to be removed all the above should be checked. Just a head gasket repair just a guess about $1700 parts and Labor?
Head gaskets are around 50 dollars each. No way that a 1700 repair. Lol should be even cheaper if its just the passenger side.

Last edited by mdopole1; 04-28-2019 at 01:58 AM.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:12 AM
pjazz
Melting Slicks

Hey that was just my guess. I'm sure someone who's had it done can chime in.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:35 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,091 Likes on 575 Posts

Sad to say it's probably a cracked cylinder liner (which is much more common that a blown head gasket). This is especially true with a HCI (tuned) car. One of the Z06's Achilles heels is their thin and weak cylinder liners. Pulling the heads will tell the story.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:19 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Rare to see a head gasket go. Piston/block typically goes first.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:21 AM
Dwebby
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Undy
Sad to say it's probably a cracked cylinder liner (which is much more common that a blown head gasket). This is especially true with a HCI (tuned) car. One of the Z06's Achilles heels is their thin and weak cylinder liners. Pulling the heads will tell the story.
I previously owned a C5Z that was HCI tuned. That one broke a quarter-sized chunk off the head near the spring while I was cruising home from work one day. I certainly hope your prediction is incorrect this time around.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:29 AM
GTAZ06
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

A leaking fuel injector o-ring on the rail side would cause an external fuel leak. A leaking o-ring on the manifold side would cause an air leak. No additional fuel would be added to engine except to correct a lean condition if in fact there was an unmetered air leak. Possible that before the repair, a cylinder was chronically lean and was detonating. Damage may have already occurred unknowingly. Though if this was the case, an a/f metering code should have been present at some point. Just a thought...
Old 04-28-2019, 09:47 AM
Dwebby
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by GTAZ06
A leaking fuel injector o-ring on the rail side would cause an external fuel leak. A leaking o-ring on the manifold side would cause an air leak. No additional fuel would be added to engine except to correct a lean condition if in fact there was an unmetered air leak. Possible that before the repair, a cylinder was chronically lean and was detonating. Damage may have already occurred unknowingly. Though if this was the case, an a/f metering code should have been present at some point. Just a thought...

Good call out. The leak was severely external. I suddenly smelled fuel while driving on the interstate. I immediately pulled off and popped the hood to see fuel spraying all over the engine bay from two of the passenger side injectors. Major fire hazard. When I had it towed to the dealership I had them replace all 8 rings top and bottom. When I rolled it into the mechanic shop later that day with the engine problem, one of the injectors was leaking again. All of this happened on a long road trip home so I was not in a position to hang out and call places/wait several days so I had to leave it at the shop and rent a car to get home.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:20 PM
KurtsZ06
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Time to have a very hard conversation with the dealer that sold you the car. As Is condition is one thing, consumer law protects you in situations like this.
If me, I’d have the dealer buy it back or, learn a very potent lesson in tort law.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:39 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

80mph@4000rpm yet never got on it? That makes zero since, as 80mph should be 1700-1800rpm, unless you are downshifting and getting on it.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:28 PM
Dwebby
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Unreal
80mph@4000rpm yet never got on it? That makes zero since, as 80mph should be 1700-1800rpm, unless you are downshifting and getting on it.

I left it in 4th and climbed to around 80 and kept it there. I know better than to downshift hard at a healthy clip. Climbing to 4k and maintaining for several minutes is not even a hard run. Thats just driving in the low-mid range of the power band and definitely shouldn't be enough to blow a healthy motor.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:18 PM
KurtsZ06
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwebby
I left it in 4th and climbed to around 80 and kept it there. I know better than to downshift hard at a healthy clip. Climbing to 4k and maintaining for several minutes is not even a hard run. Thats just driving in the low-mid range of the power band and definitely shouldn't be enough to blow a healthy motor.
My point exactly ... you didn’t start with a healthy engine. The fuel injector leaks alone demonstrated that. Dealers are required by law to do safety inspections of the cars they sell. This dealer did the minimum if any at all.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:33 PM
mdopole1
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by pjazz
Hey that was just my guess. I'm sure someone who's had it done can chime in.
Sorry wasnt trying to be rude. Just thought you might have added a additional zero to that figure on accident or something. Id guess with parts and labor that it would be under 500 for both headgaskets to be replaced. Possibly cheaper.

Last edited by mdopole1; 04-28-2019 at 06:34 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Head Gasket likely blown. What else to check?

Old 04-28-2019, 07:48 PM
pjazz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mdopole1
Sorry wasnt trying to be rude. Just thought you might have added a additional zero to that figure on accident or something. Id guess with parts and labor that it would be under 500 for both headgaskets to be replaced. Possibly cheaper.
No worries I still think with parts and labor head removal and gasket replacement done right isn't cheap unless you do it yourself. I hope the OP isn't looking at something worse.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:34 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Get out of this car while you can. IMO, when a modified car ends up on a dealer lot (H/C/I), its because the owner most likely had to dump it.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:42 PM
Dwebby
Heel & Toe

Default Results once heads pulled.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Head Gasket likely blown. What else to check?