Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Finally Getting The 08Z06 Dyno Tuned

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 03:24 PM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Finally Getting The 08Z06 Dyno Tuned

Currently at Norris Motorsports getting tuned. I had some mods done back in 2017 starting with an AHP heads, ported and milled .020" to address the head issue. While addressing the heads I went ahead and added B&B LT's, no cats. The car already had Akra Evo system and K&N air tube and filter, but I recently modified Haltech Beehive to clean up engine bay. I won't have a baseline to compare as I originally sent the ECU to ECS for their mail order tune, not the best route to go IMO. After mail order tune I was having some hanging idle issues and intermittent codes, Service Traction Control and Service Electronic System would pop up intermittently. Apparently I'm being told that pretty much every code that could set the SES light was disabled and car was running lean via the fuel trims at idle and cruise and before any wide open pulls could be done 8% more fuel needed to be added to complete fuel table, even with that, the first dyno run was quite lean. Norris is still currently working on it to dial her in, I'll post results later.

The following users liked this post:
Landru (05-13-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 04:37 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Shame a basline couldn't be done.
W/ mods & proper tune I'll guess something near or slightly over 500 RWHP.
Wouldn't be surprised.

Sub'd for final #s.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:15 PM
92rsz
Pro

Received 239 Likes on 165 Posts

If it helps any I put my 08 Z on his dyno last spring. It was 100% stock at 13,500 miles and put down 448 whp. Couldn't get a torque reading that day for some reason.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:16 AM
itomh
Pro

Dyno results are in, 490 RWHP, 458 RWTQ. I'll be picking it up today and post printout later. The main reason for the tune was fixing the hanging idle issue and was hoping this would also fix the intermittent Service Traction Control and Service Electronic System that kept popping up. I suspected issues were because of the ECS mail order tune, guess I was right. I wonder what the HP is at the crank?
Old 05-14-2019, 01:10 PM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Received 234 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by itomh
Dyno results are in, 490 RWHP, 458 RWTQ. I'll be picking it up today and post printout later. The main reason for the tune was fixing the hanging idle issue and was hoping this would also fix the intermittent Service Traction Control and Service Electronic System that kept popping up. I suspected issues were because of the ECS mail order tune, guess I was right. I wonder what the HP is at the crank?
I doubt Mike will tell you that the tune was causing the Service Traction Control or Service Electronic System. Usually that's ground or module related if you didn't changed out your tire size.

The hanging idle could be tune related or an unmeasured air leak related because if you didnt add an aftermarket camshaft, you really dont need to change the idle characteristic.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:03 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Very nice numbers Sir!!!
Looks like you picked up right at 42rwhp from our ported heads and LT's!!!
I bet she feels nice and strong now!

We typically see a 60-70 HP delta from the engine Dyno to the Chassis Dyno... So at 490rwhp you will be right at 550-560bhp. New vehicles (like the C6z06) are much more efficient at transferring the power from the engine to the rear wheel. We observe a much greater Delta on older vehicle with less efficient drive lines.

https://www.americanheritageperformance.com/

Last edited by American Heritage; 05-14-2019 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:17 AM
Esser
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Mike norris is decent, but my eyes were opened after I went to Short Tuning. There is no comparison!
Old 05-15-2019, 02:45 PM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Esser
Mike norris is decent, but my eyes were opened after I went to Short Tuning. There is no comparison!

yup, norris tuned my car last year. and was tuned again by another tuner in indiana at the end of the season.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:24 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Sorry to hear there was an issue with your tune, however, I do not "shut off all codes" ever, so unfortunately from that point on I cannot take this seriously, but more of an "I'm a hero tuner" response that was given to you. I am seriously happy that you are happy with your car though, best of luck to you with it.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:26 PM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Sorry to hear there was an issue with your tune, however, I do not "shut off all codes" ever, so unfortunately from that point on I cannot take this seriously, but more of an "I'm a hero tuner" response that was given to you. I am seriously happy that you are happy with your car though, best of luck to you with it.

HERO TUNE

Old 05-15-2019, 03:56 PM
itomh
Pro

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Just stating the facts, don't get your feelings hurt, my car ran perfect until your tune. Just do a better job next time and yes, he is my hero, car never ran better!!
Old 05-16-2019, 03:03 AM
SocalChvy
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 54 Posts

Just stating the facts, don't get your feelings hurt, my car ran perfect until your tune. Just do a better job next time and yes, he is my hero, car never ran better!!
Don't add thousands of dollars worth of parts and go cheap with a mail order tune OP. ECU calibrations are extremely important to the life of the engine.

Last edited by SocalChvy; 05-16-2019 at 03:03 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:34 AM
shane p
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by SocalChvy
Don't add thousands of dollars worth of parts and go cheap with a mail order tune OP. ECU calibrations are extremely important to the life of the engine.

A mail order tune is one step up from doing nothing at all. Hard to blame a tuner if they dont have the car in front of them,
The following users liked this post:
SocalChvy (05-17-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Finally Getting The 08Z06 Dyno Tuned

Quick Reply: [Z06] Finally Getting The 08Z06 Dyno Tuned