Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GMs Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Advertisement

[Z06] Best intake for track days?

Old 05-27-2019, 08:29 AM
TorqueForDays

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best intake for track days?

Hey CF members,

I drive my '08 Z06 car as a daily driver in the summer when its nice out, I take it to the drag strip once or twice a year, as well as a track weekend and autocross once or twice a year.

I've been looking at upgrading the intake and have been researching Vararam vs Halltech vs Callaway, vs Airraid, vs K&N FIPK vs K&N drop-in. Lots of members have recommended Vararam due to it's price and force air effects, but I have also read that it reduces cooling efficiency of the radiator since the shroud is being cut and it blocks airflow on the front end. Halltech & Callaway seem to use forced air principals, but do not reducing cooling efficiency. Airraid, K&N intake seem to basically be a flow optimized version of the stock intake without a splash shield. The K&N drop-in seems to be a fairly inexpensive option that probably gets 80% of the HP gains of the Airraid and K&N intake. Perhaps one approach would be to keep the highly engineered stock intake with simply a higher flowing filter.

What is the best intake for the Corvette that does not compromise cooling? Are there any other intake features I have not considered?
Old 05-27-2019, 08:32 AM
jayyyw
CF Senior Member

Received 308 Likes on 271 Posts

Halltech
Old 05-28-2019, 04:09 PM
MTPZ06
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,231 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Originally Posted by jayyyw View Post
Halltech
And you can add a Vette Air scoop as well to bring in additional cold air without sacrificing radiator efficiency.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:20 PM
LPmold

Originally Posted by TorqueForDays View Post
Hey CF members,

I drive my '08 Z06 car as a daily driver in the summer when its nice out, I take it to the drag strip once or twice a year, as well as a track weekend and autocross once or twice a year.

I've been looking at upgrading the intake and have been researching Vararam vs Halltech vs Callaway, vs Airraid, vs K&N FIPK vs K&N drop-in. Lots of members have recommended Vararam due to it's price and force air effects, but I have also read that it reduces cooling efficiency of the radiator since the shroud is being cut and it blocks airflow on the front end. Halltech & Callaway seem to use forced air principals, but do not reducing cooling efficiency. Airraid, K&N intake seem to basically be a flow optimized version of the stock intake without a splash shield. The K&N drop-in seems to be a fairly inexpensive option that probably gets 80% of the HP gains of the Airraid and K&N intake. Perhaps one approach would be to keep the highly engineered stock intake with simply a higher flowing filter.

What is the best intake for the Corvette that does not compromise cooling? Are there any other intake features I have not considered?
I'm curious what you ended up going with? I want to change mine too. If you wouldn't mind sharing what you learned. Thanks!
Old 07-10-2019, 09:01 PM
TorqueForDays

Originally Posted by LPmold View Post
I'm curious what you ended up going with? I want to change mine too. If you wouldn't mind sharing what you learned. Thanks!
I think I'm just gonna stick with my Airraid. Its a bigger high flow filter, it utilizes the air from the front hood scoop, and has some protecting seals against engine heat, no change to radiator efficiency. Sure the Halltech is probably a little better at all of the above, but its not worth the extra money IMO.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:51 PM
STANG KILLA SS
CF Senior Member

Received 176 Likes on 143 Posts

cold air or intake manifold?
Old 07-11-2019, 10:04 PM
LPmold

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
cold air or intake manifold?
Did you do a cold air?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Best intake for track days?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: