Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Alternator wired directly to Fuse Box - Who's done it?

Old 06-05-2019, 05:53 PM
silverboost98
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Alternator wired directly to Fuse Box - Who's done it?

I have been a victim of the dreaded hot/start and voltage issues with my C6Z several times now. I have a new battery, rebuilt my alternator, and put a heat sheild along with the gold heat shield tape on my starter. Now that it's hot again I am once again getting voltage issues at idle when it's 90+ outside and I am in stop in go traffic.

Who of you on here has ran a lead directly from the alternator to the fuse box under the hood? Was it simple as just running the 4 gauge wire over and making the connection or was their other things you had to do as well?

Thank you,
Mike
Old 06-05-2019, 07:05 PM
philadd
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

I did it on mine. I have a 1 positive cable (fused) going from the alternator to the fuse box, but I also have 1 ground wire going from the block to one of existing ground points. I haven't seen my voltage dip below 13.6 V since.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:06 PM
seamus2154
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

I bought a Mechman alternator and while talking with the vendor he recommended just that-- a new 4 gauge from alt to fuse box. They sold a nice one with nice covering--I am at 14.6 all day.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:48 AM
STL Mike
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by seamus2154
I bought a Mechman alternator and while talking with the vendor he recommended just that-- a new 4 gauge from alt to fuse box. They sold a nice one with nice covering--I am at 14.6 all day.
Same here. Problem solved.

Also had my tuner remove some crank timing to make starting with heat soaked starter easier.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:00 AM
Jaybird29
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Question, are you guys running stock exhaust manifolds or headers?
Old 06-06-2019, 09:29 AM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaybird29
I've done the same as above. I'm running ceramic coated Kooks headers. My mechman alternator is great, and my voltage is always 14.xx.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:23 PM
philadd
Pro

My voltage with the added wires usually stays between 14.2-14.4. After sitting through bad rush hour traffic in 95+ degree heat, the idle voltage dips down into the upper 13.x range. This is with an OEM alternator.

Originally Posted by Jaybird29
Coated Kooks headers.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:30 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by venemous1
I have been a victim of the dreaded hot/start and voltage issues with my C6Z several times now. I have a new battery, rebuilt my alternator, and put a heat sheild along with the gold heat shield tape on my starter. Now that it's hot again I am once again getting voltage issues at idle when it's 90+ outside and I am in stop in go traffic.

Who of you on here has ran a lead directly from the alternator to the fuse box under the hood? Was it simple as just running the 4 gauge wire over and making the connection or was their other things you had to do as well?

Thank you,
Mike
I'd run larger than 4 gauge wire, especially if you're routing the charge wire around the engine. Resistance goes up significantly with heat so 4 gauge is good for 80* temps, but when under hood temps are double that, the resistance goes up dramatically. We used 0 gauge fine strand welding wire for mine and put a 175 amp slow blow fuse in line. We also added additional grounds from engine to frame, alternator case to frame and from my battery to roll cage.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:33 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

Is there a diagram somewhere for this modification? I'd be interested in doing this.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:08 PM
phxcobra
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

This thread is appropriately timed. Just bought a new billettech alternator from Bret with wire upgrade. My symptoms
-dropping voltage at idle when hot
- hot start up issues

Steps I'm taking
-putting on starter heat shield (lingenfelter)
-replaced ground wire from above starter to frame as it was partially torn/cut into
-cleaned off paint from above ground point and two others on l/r sides on engine bay. Thought I'll get a better connection without going through the paint that was on these locations
-170 amp alternator and bypass wire
- will check other ground locations as well and clean as needed

I'll report results when done.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:49 PM
STL Mike
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Let us know how well that works. I'm in the same position with the factory starter heat soak.

My starter cable that handles power from the battery is cracked. Any idea who may sell a replacement without having to fab one up?

Last edited by STL Mike; 06-06-2019 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:31 AM
silverboost98
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Appreciate all the feedback. Any of you got any pics you can attach so I can see your set up? Also is an inline fuse necessary to run if going from the alternator to the fuse box?
Old 06-07-2019, 01:18 PM
phxcobra
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by STL Mike
Let us know how well that works. I'm in the same position with the factory starter heat soak.

My starter cable that handles power from the battery is cracked. Any idea who may sell a replacement without having to fab one up?
Unreal (sorry I always forget his real name) here on the forums hooked me up with his old ground cable that runs parallel to the starter/battery cable. He redid his wiring with custom made and had his old ground wire left over. Maybe send him a pm and see if he has one to sell. I looked all over online for the ground wire and couldnt find one. Probably either fine a used one or make your own i guess.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:22 PM
philadd
Pro

Originally Posted by venemous1
Appreciate all the feedback. Any of you got any pics you can attach so I can see your set up? Also is an inline fuse necessary to run if going from the alternator to the fuse box?
I don't have any pics at the moment, but most people just route it underneath the driver side fuel rail cover and then along the firewall before going to the fusebox.

I separate fuse is probably not necessary, but I figured it couldn't hurt. I'd rather replace that fuse than any other possible issues with the fuse box.

Get notified of new replies

To Alternator wired directly to Fuse Box - Who's done it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Alternator wired directly to Fuse Box - Who's done it?