Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Jim Mero Mag ride upgrade/controller exchange

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 10:17 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Default Jim Mero Mag ride upgrade/controller exchange

I to got my ZR1 Mag ride upgraded with the Jim Mero tune. I did the Controller exchange. He mailed it Friday and I got it today (Monday), right on time to do the install once I got home from work.
Thanks to his youtube channel and the video on how to remove it, this was straight forward. The only variance were the 3 rivets you have to remove from the carbon fiber skirt so that the fender can move (and he provides those to re-install)
I would highly suggest you put tape on the skirt, as the lower fender has a couple nut-plates that will rub on the skirt as you move the fender around. You can also use a towel in between the too.
Hardest part was the clip that holds the controller, you gotta have some strong fingers, but once it unclip it pulled right out (all of this is well illustrated in his video)

Before I made the mod, I took out the car to run an errand in order to get a fresh feel on how the car felt all stock ( I don't drive it much these days sadly). Once I got home I did the install and took the car back out for a quick spin around the neighborhood where I know a couple of crapy spots that usually rattle my teeth out.
Very please with the new tour/sport mode. The tour mode is excellent, it definitely smoothed the car over regular bumps. When I switch to sport I can feel the car tightening (if that make sense), but still, not as hard as the original setting (rattle you to death really in comparison).
I'll be driving it some more in the coming weeks, but I'm pleased with the results, this is what I was looking for. Of course the short ride didn't really do it justice, I need to go drive it on the highway and stretch her out a bit to truly see how it will behave. I suspect it will be great.

Of course the swap is the hardest way to do this, but if you can't catch him at events or at one of his residence, rest assure this was an easy transaction and a fairly easy install. Took me a couple hours from wheels up to wheels down...with a couple beers and a few interruptions.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:27 PM
GTIMANiac
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Subscribed for updates, I am getting ready to do exchange before mine heads back into shop for some cooling and fuel upgrades.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:11 AM
ccryder
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks for posting up your results, much appreciated!
I’m gonna have Jim do the upgrade on mine, when we are down at the museum for the caravan.
We will have a long ride home to Wisconsin to test out the improvements!
Old 06-25-2019, 07:40 AM
Jim Mero
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,252 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by mirage2991
I to got my ZR1 Mag ride upgraded with the Jim Mero tune. I did the Controller exchange. He mailed it Friday and I got it today (Monday), right on time to do the install once I got home from work.
Thanks to his youtube channel and the video on how to remove it, this was straight forward. The only variance were the 3 rivets you have to remove from the carbon fiber skirt so that the fender can move (and he provides those to re-install)
I would highly suggest you put tape on the skirt, as the lower fender has a couple nut-plates that will rub on the skirt as you move the fender around. You can also use a towel in between the too.
Hardest part was the clip that holds the controller, you gotta have some strong fingers, but once it unclip it pulled right out (all of this is well illustrated in his video)

Before I made the mod, I took out the car to run an errand in order to get a fresh feel on how the car felt all stock ( I don't drive it much these days sadly). Once I got home I did the install and took the car back out for a quick spin around the neighborhood where I know a couple of crapy spots that usually rattle my teeth out.
Very please with the new tour/sport mode. The tour mode is excellent, it definitely smoothed the car over regular bumps. When I switch to sport I can feel the car tightening (if that make sense), but still, not as hard as the original setting (rattle you to death really in comparison).
I'll be driving it some more in the coming weeks, but I'm pleased with the results, this is what I was looking for. Of course the short ride didn't really do it justice, I need to go drive it on the highway and stretch her out a bit to truly see how it will behave. I suspect it will be great.

Of course the swap is the hardest way to do this, but if you can't catch him at events or at one of his residence, rest assure this was an easy transaction and a fairly easy install. Took me a couple hours from wheels up to wheels down...with a couple beers and a few interruptions.
Hey there JB, thank you for the review.

Relative to pulling back the tab that holds the controller, on the wet sump video, I include a short clip on how to use a screwdriver to gently pry it back. I apologize for not including it in the dry sump video. I will edit it in today. It makes the removal much easier.

The one thing I can't remember is if the auxiliary oil tanks allow enough room to use a screw driver. I will reach out to Ross, who make the dry sump video and make sure there is ample room.

Thanks again, Jim
Old 06-25-2019, 09:09 AM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Mero
Hey there JB, thank you for the review.

Relative to pulling back the tab that holds the controller, on the wet sump video, I include a short clip on how to use a screwdriver to gently pry it back. I apologize for not including it in the dry sump video. I will edit it in today. It makes the removal much easier.

The one thing I can't remember is if the auxiliary oil tanks allow enough room to use a screw driver. I will reach out to Ross, who make the dry sump video and make sure there is ample room.

Thanks again, Jim
I thought about using a screw driver but feared I would crack the connector, as Ross had warned to be careful when you remove it. No issue with the aux oil tank being in the way of using a screw driver.

Get notified of new replies

To Jim Mero Mag ride upgrade/controller exchange

Quick Reply: Jim Mero Mag ride upgrade/controller exchange