Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Reluctor Rattle - Crankshaft Position Sensor A out of range DTC-P0336 no start/weak

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 05:27 PM
Z007
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Reluctor Rattle - Crankshaft Position Sensor A out of range DTC-P0336 no start/weak

Car was hot, stalled from stoplight with not enough throttle, hit the Rev limiter in first, few minutes later heard a rattle, weak on power, worried it was the water pump breaking up so idled for a good half hour in 80+ degree shade, oil temp went up 10 degrees to 222 and plateaued. Tried to pull away and stalled from not enough throttle again, usually needs none on a flat surface, super-slow starter and no start, cooled to 130deg, starter hesitation, weak and very loud clatter at idle, shortly thereafter stalled at idle, starter too weak, CEL pulled P0336 code and cleared, cooled for 30m, starter couldn't turn over(few quarter cranks) let it cool completely, tried to jump-start, no cranks, P0336 code popped again, headlights strong.

Since the reluctor(timing wheel) is interference mounted to the end of the crankshaft and removed with only 200degreesF (and held on by one bolt?) I am thinking combined with the clatter and code twice that it must have dislodged or bent. Have to tow it to the shop just across the street Monday if they'll take it. I usually do my own work, but no Tech2 for relearn, hoping the engine won't need to be dismounted to get to the reluctor on the back, hopefully just disconnect the torque tube coupler.

May have warped a long time ago when oil temp went to 283 for half an hour due to radiator hole, also hit Rev limiter (3.4 sec is so damn soon) a few times since.

Any estimates on hours of labor? Looks like the part's only $22. Does the engine need to be pulled or is this not the major surgery I am expecting it to be?

Last edited by Z007; 06-30-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:35 AM
Z007
Advanced

Default Timing Chain Instead?

I talked to a mechanic and he said it is more common for the tensioner to go bad. So maybe the chain slipped, but it wouldn't run if it had broke and it did for a while, also it was a repetitive clanging sound, not a continuous scraping.

It's going to be hard to diagnose now that it won't start or even crank. If they pull the timing chain cover they can look for witness marks, since I guess cam issues can throw that code too, seems weird how it only gradually got worse.

If I do need to replace it I might as well get a Katech chain or a double-roller Manley(w/ Torrington thrust bearing and button head bolts to reduce clearancing of the pump/cover) Is there a double-roller that doesn't require clearance-grinding: like the Cloyes 9-3167A claims "No machining required and no fumbling with offset bushings."

Car has ~73333mi.

Could I retard the timing safely while I am at it? How much, 2degrees?
Old 07-01-2019, 09:55 AM
Millenium Z06

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts

The relucter wheel is interference and not held on by a bolt. If its damaged, the crank has to come out to replace it.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:55 PM
Z007
Advanced

The noise is there during idle only but it seems too loud to be a spun rod bearing(or "dry" as the mechanic that heard it for a second said) but it could be a main bearing? It definitely sounds slower in repetitions than idle rpm. I guess it might throw that position sensor code if there was excess crankshaft end-play?

Last edited by Z007; 07-03-2019 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:39 PM
Millenium Z06

Slow is the bottom end, twice crankshaft speed/frequency is going to be in the valve train.
No to the endplay, one has nothing to do with the other.

You really need to drop the oil pan and pull the valve covers off. I'd probably start at the bottom based upon your comments.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:25 PM
Jfryjfry
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Millenium Z06
Slow is the bottom end, twice crankshaft speed/frequency is going to be in the valve train.
No to the endplay, one has nothing to do with the other.

You really need to drop the oil pan and pull the valve covers off. I'd probably start at the bottom based upon your comments.
Its the other way - cam turns half the speed of the crank.

Loose bearings would have to be catastrophic to cause it to stall I’d think.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:52 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Z007
Car was hot, stalled from stoplight with not enough throttle, hit the Rev limiter in first, few minutes later heard a rattle, weak on power, worried it was the water pump breaking up so idled for a good half hour in 80+ degree shade, oil temp went up 10 degrees to 222 and plateaued. Tried to pull away and stalled from not enough throttle again, usually needs none on a flat surface, super-slow starter and no start, cooled to 130deg, starter hesitation, weak and very loud clatter at idle, shortly thereafter stalled at idle, starter too weak, CEL pulled P0336 code and cleared, cooled for 30m, starter couldn't turn over(few quarter cranks) let it cool completely, tried to jump-start, no cranks, P0336 code popped again, headlights strong.

Since the reluctor(timing wheel) is interference mounted to the end of the crankshaft and removed with only 200degreesF (and held on by one bolt?) I am thinking combined with the clatter and code twice that it must have dislodged or bent. Have to tow it to the shop just across the street Monday if they'll take it. I usually do my own work, but no Tech2 for relearn, hoping the engine won't need to be dismounted to get to the reluctor on the back, hopefully just disconnect the torque tube coupler.

May have warped a long time ago when oil temp went to 283 for half an hour due to radiator hole, also hit Rev limiter (3.4 sec is so damn soon) a few times since.

Any estimates on hours of labor? Looks like the part's only $22. Does the engine need to be pulled or is this not the major surgery I am expecting it to be?
That definitely sounds like it could be one (or more) spun rod bearings, which can range from being totally quiet to noisy as hell depending on how bad they are.

It would explain the noise at idle and subsequently not even being able to turn it over. It would also cause the P0336 code which can happen from the motor not turning over fast enough while trying to start. A lot of people mistakenly think the code is the reason for it not starting, but it's usually the other way around.

I doubt there's anything wrong with the reluctor wheel either. In all the motors I've blown (including a couple catastrophic failures at the track) the reluctor wheel has never been even moderately hurt. Plus, it wouldn't prevent it from being able to turn over.

Sounds like you're looking at a rebuild.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:03 PM
Millenium Z06

Originally Posted by Jfryjfry
Its the other way - cam turns half the speed of the crank.

Loose bearings would have to be catastrophic to cause it to stall I’d think.

That's what I meant
Old 07-12-2019, 02:57 PM
Z007
Advanced

I started a new thread to get better visibility for help, because I don't think I can change the thread title to BLOWN motor $16K to replace, my car hates me:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-cheaper.html

Last edited by Z007; 07-12-2019 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Started new thread for this

Get notified of new replies

To Reluctor Rattle - Crankshaft Position Sensor A out of range DTC-P0336 no start/weak

Quick Reply: [Z06] Reluctor Rattle - Crankshaft Position Sensor A out of range DTC-P0336 no start/weak