Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06
Reload this Page >

would YOU be opposed to purchasing this 2009 ZR1 if you were in the market?

Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GMís Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Advertisement

would YOU be opposed to purchasing this 2009 ZR1 if you were in the market?

Old 07-04-2019, 10:14 AM
o2baZR1
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thx for the education
Old 07-04-2019, 10:17 AM
Gary '09 C6
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 393 Likes on 346 Posts

Old 07-04-2019, 12:09 PM
09Z06pj
CF Senior Member

Received 485 Likes on 434 Posts

All I can say is that when the price of a ZR1 (or anything else for that matter) seems too good to be true, it usually is. Sure, someone always stumbles across a great deal now and then but when a dealer sells a car for retail at a price far less than it would normally sell for at wholesale auction, I'd be real suspicious. $42K for a 2011 falls into that category for me. The seller either needed to unload that car in a hurry for some reason or something else is not right somewhere along the line. I'm always for a good deal and want to pay as little as I can for the best I can get but sometimes those good deals can bite you in the *** in a major way. The best practice is to do your homework on a car in as thorough a way as possible. Nothing is ever a sure thing. OP, the car you're looking at sounds like it's nice and IMO it is definitely a good price. If it all checks out, I'd be jumping on it too. Good luck.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:53 PM
KurtsZ06
CF Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 09Z06pj View Post
All I can say is that when the price of a ZR1 (or anything else for that matter) seems too good to be true, it usually is. Sure, someone always stumbles across a great deal now and then but when a dealer sells a car for retail at a price far less than it would normally sell for at wholesale auction, I'd be real suspicious. $42K for a 2011 falls into that category for me. The seller either needed to unload that car in a hurry for some reason or something else is not right somewhere along the line. I'm always for a good deal and want to pay as little as I can for the best I can get but sometimes those good deals can bite you in the *** in a major way. The best practice is to do your homework on a car in as thorough a way as possible. Nothing is ever a sure thing. OP, the car you're looking at sounds like it's nice and IMO it is definitely a good price. If it all checks out, I'd be jumping on it too. Good luck.
True. In my case the car had complete history, pre buy and my hands on inspection. Sometimes a cigar is just that, a cigar. The seller needed the dough to reserve a C8.
Im a pretty thorough buyer, very very little gets by me.. Iíve learned the hard way more than once.

Just do the research into the car, get an indie prebuy. Hammer the price or walk away.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:02 PM
KurtsZ06
CF Senior Member

PS .. Here is one I saw, dealer is in it for just north of $46,000. After I walked, they called and said they’d come down to $50,000.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/t-Used...ting=232420568

Illl bet if you threw down cash, you could buy it for sub 50. Just my 2 1/2 cents worth for anybody looking.
The following users liked this post:
o2baZR1 (07-06-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 03:10 PM
CBMZR1
CF Senior Member

Received 678 Likes on 549 Posts

I looked at that one as well... threw em what I thought was a fair offer... they declined. I walked, found my 2012... Everything happens for a reason.!

These cars are out there... Not the $42K ones.. lol

But there are plenty of decent mid to low $50K cars.... Get em while their hot!
Old 07-06-2019, 07:32 AM
o2baZR1
CF Senior Member

hadn't said so up to this point because to be honest i was 100% sure somebody else wouldn't ****** it out from under me, but i did get the deal completely set yesterday morning. anyway, this vehicle is sold by CARVANA who i've never dealt with before, but i'll report my experiences here whatever they turn out to be.

as i said, 25,020 miles, and '09 3zr. my fave is Arctic White and this one is Victory Red, which is still hot though, especially with the CF roof and halo. has a few chips on the hood, but that's nothing. not a fan of ZR1 wheels, so i'll be getting cups before too long. was also looking at some recaros that i really like..if i can get the side airbags functionable. Planning on taking it to Abel Chev in Rio Vista, CA for initial check-out and subsequent mods. i've seen some past threads about that which seem to have some valuable experiences shared, such as the option to have set up for harnesses. Not sure i want to go that route though to get around the challenge of getting side airbags that function. i've more than once had somebody right in front of me run a stop sign and on another occasion, a red light. especially with that stop sign in my '07 c6 in Monterey a few years ago, had i been literally 2 full seconds sooner, i'd have gotten broadsided by two guys who rolled through it about 50 mph like they had no stop sign at all. if i had gotten T-boned...and they were coming at me on my driver's side,..i'd for sure have gotten F'ed up, even with my side bags. without them, i don't even want to think about my head slamming sideways against the window with a 50 mph broadside. also will do a flat-top/flat-bottom alcantera/CF steering wheel upgrade i see at Corvette Mods.

one of the things i'd really like to try to do is to get some red ambient lighting set up. i really like the little bit of red in the ZR1 now and would like to add a bit more....just so long as it is not to the point of causing reflection off of the inside of the windows aat night. i had a Wrangler with limo tints when i lived in Vegas in the early 2000's and almost hit a guy stepping off a street corner at night because of the reflection...and that was just from the stock instrument lights. i'll never get limo tints again, just for that reason. even at light gradients of tint though, if there is too much ambient light, it could cause visibility obstructions and i for sure don't want that. i've seen some led tubing in colors that looks like something very cool could be done with it and still not be gaudy. first thing i want to do is upgrade what i see most of the time i drive...which is the c6 interior. i've looked at TONS of forum threads and no diss intended but i still haven't seen a single version that blew me away. basically, upgraded seats, steering wheel and some fake CF pieces....nothing using ambient light,,,which as i say in the case of the '19 ZL1 interior looks killer especially with the brushed aluminum and alcantera seats.

to get back to what i most wanted to say here, this vehicle is from CARVANA. don't know anyone else's experiences with them, but they ahve a 7-day money back guarantee, a 100-day/4138 mile warranty. in the 7 days you do have a 400-mile limit, but in a pinch, for $1 per mile over the 400, you can still return the vehicle, or swap it for another of theirs. because i'm picking up my ZR1 in a WalMart lot 10 miles away next Thursday morning, i also avoided having to pay the $399 shipping fee,,,which still wouldn't have been bad for an out-of-state purchase.

so, to sum it up, i'm happy at this point, largely because i feel secure that i don't have to keep it if "our forum pal" at Abel Chev tells me it's a dawg in expensive threads. as people are pointing out here though, so long as it's a good quality roller, all things considered $50,900 for this ZR1 is a killer deal. i'd hate to be the one who probably paid at the msrp when new, which was $113,000 for it and took the hit of the depreciation, but for people like me...this is one helluva a fantastic "crumb" to be able to sweep up off of the table. insurance is HALF of my '16 Rubicon Hard Rock Unlimited which is great too! so, i would have certainly been ecstatic with a killer example of a used c7 z06 or a '19 ZL1 with 1LE (found some for $61k with under 10,000 miles), but at this price and this insurance rate, i can afford to keep my Jeep and have a ZR1 too. life is good!!! God bless America...for realz! I mean that to the core.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:35 AM
Gary '09 C6
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 393 Likes on 346 Posts

G/L with the car !
Old 07-06-2019, 04:54 PM
KurtsZ06
CF Senior Member

I’ve heard good and bad about Carvana. The main thing is to get the prebuy ( or in your case, post buy ) inspection done by Abel.
Next up is an extended warranty, you’ll use it for over what you paid for in cost. I got mine through Infinite for both c6s, z06 and ZR1. Cost $2300 for the ZR1, 6 years and or 70,000 miles.
Good buy decision. And yes, it’s always nice to let the first owner take the $60,000 hit on the ZR1.

Last edited by KurtsZ06; 07-08-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:35 PM
o2baZR1
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by KurtsZ06 View Post
I’ve heard good and bad about Carvana. The main thing is to get the prebuy ( or in your case, post buy ) inspection done by Abel.
Next up is an extended warranty, you’ll use it for over what you paid for in cost. I got mine through Infinity for both c6s, z06 and ZR1. Cost $2300 for the ZR1, 6 years and or 70,000 miles.
Good buy decision. And yes, it’s always nice to let the first owner take the $60,000 hit on the ZR1.
whadya mean "through Infinity" Kurts? the car company "Infinity" b'coz that's where you got a used Vette or is that the name of some underwriter? what's the connection between Infinity and the Vettes you speak of?

compared to the few extended warranties i've seen, 23 is really pretty decent for 6/70...although i'll almost certainly either be doing warranty-voiding mods or trading it in long before then if i treat this vehicle the way i've treated all others I've been going through left-and-right over the past 15-16 years of my life...or BOTH! like, i haven't really completely contemplated the situation too very far on down the highway beyond maybe 18-24 months. at first blush though, if i could get half that time/mileage for half the $2300 price, i think i'd be super happy with that.

i've read a lot online about CARVANA including a lot on various boards including this one, but haven't seen a single thing from anyone who complained about a purchase they made from them regarding condition of the vehicle. of course there are people who got a better purchase price available elsewhere, but based on what i've read, most people were satisfied with their price. oddly enough there are what to my way of thinking are some strange concerns such as people saying they have a ridiculous business model and have yet to turn a profit. unless somebody either works there, owns stock in them, or works for the IRS and worries about them being solvent enough to pay their taxes, why would anybody care about that???...aside from the fact that that is just how it goes regarding the internet providing an outlet for anyONE to vent about anyTHING, whether there is a purpose beyond just feeling like complaining about something or not.

the other thing is people talking about their experience selling their ride to CARVANA which seems to be about 4 people satisfied with the amount they got for their car/truck to every 1 who was able to get more money someplace else. another thing is that, just like AutoNation, they present themselves as being a better choice because you don't have to haggle. meanwhile of course anyone with any experience at all wants exactly THAT...the opportunity to save money by offering less than their selling price, even if it is only a few hundred.

90% of the vehicles i've ever purchased were bought at a place where i offered thousands below their price and had my offer accepted which is why i bought there in the first place. in my experience, it is a rare thing to get a killer price at a no-haggle dealer, but with the ZR1 i'm getting now, i do consider their price to be unusually good. they have another '09 and granted it's got at least 10k fewer miles on it, but it's also priced $10k higher than mine. mine has some chips on the front/center of hood and on the front/left fender but that's nowhere near $10k worth of blemishes. nonetheless though, i'll have a more complete understanding of everything about it AFTER Abel reviews her.

all things considered though, I'm stoked and can hardly wait!!!

Last edited by o2baZR1; 07-07-2019 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:40 AM
KurtsZ06
CF Senior Member

[QUOTE]whadya mean "through Infinity" Kurts? the car company "Infinity" b'coz that's where you got a used Vette or is that the name of some underwriter? what's the connection between Infinity and the Vettes you speak of?/QUOTE]

Not the Car company Infinity, rather the independent warranty company Infinite. Here’s a link.

[email protected]

https://infiniteautoprotection.com/

I chose this company based on consumer affairs ratings and owner experiences. They have done right by me on my Z06, so I covered the ZR1 with them as well. I have the top tier plans.
Two months after getting the coverage on my Z, I went ahead with the heads repair. A few of the guides were out of spec. The adjuster with Infinity agreed to replace all the guides. They allowed for the labor to rr the heads, fluids and gaskets. I applied that money towards a set of bullet proof heads from AHP. In all, the coverage saved me $2300.

Carvana seems to get the job done right, both selling and buying. The negatives I read about are at the purchase end. Some people get cars that have mechanical issues and as a result, get caught in a spiral while trying to get the issues resolved. They are few and far between. No big.

Last edited by KurtsZ06; 07-08-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:46 PM
o2baZR1
CF Senior Member

just encountered wrinkle-in-the-road on the 2009 ZR1 i have been arranged purchase via CARVANA with. here's the details: early this afternoon i get a guy who says he is the shipper 40 miles from me in San Jose, CA who is to bring the ZR1 the final leg of its journey. i believe it came from AZ 690 miles from me. i was told a few days ago by the carvana main office staff that if i will go pick it up at a walmart lot 10 miles from me, it saves me the $399 shipping fee. so driving 10 miles to pick it up saves me that $399. BUT: early this afternoon i get a call from the last-leg-from-san-jose,ca-shipper who says there is a problem, which is that the vehicle has headers and so they can't sell it to me with me living in CA. i've got family in others states, so i could have asked them to do that, but at this point, don't know anyone closer than FL, NY, PA or GA, all at least 2000 miles away which would mean i'd have to get it from there to here if it's dropped off over there...then that DOES cost to ship.

i figured that was the end of it and thought i'd just tell people here about the specifics so somebody could take advantage of the price. but then the last-leg-shipper calls again and says that if i give him about $300..."and we never had this conversation"...he CAN get it smogged...keeping the headers, which would be great coz i'd like a set and thinking of parts and install fee, that saves me about $2,000 or thereabouts. then he calls a third time after telling 'his guy' we will proceed, says we can get it smogged, and now that might not involve being able to keep the headers on it..with no mention of what will replace them if they need to be removed to pass smog. he didn't leave me a phone number for himself...although i could call the carvana office and get his contact. also said the initial-leg-shipper cracked the splitter so they had to replace that.

anyway....the more i ponder it, the less i like exchanging $57k when ANYONE has said, "this conversation never happended." so basically, i got free shipping, and now the last-leg-shipper says he needs $300 "cash" to get it smogged...and as i say, not 100% certain i get to keep the headers or not, and if not...what will replace them!

so, i had asked peoples' experiences about carvana, and now my own experience is unfolding with at least a little bit of stink, which i'm not completely sure of whether the wiff-O-stank is punani or "brown-eye" !!!

carvana does have another 2009 with 4700 instead of 25,000 but it cost's $10k more for another 3zr. i asked if they'd just do an even swap to cover for my aggravation-endured and have yet to hear back from that email

PERHAPS THE BIGGEST PROBLEM HERE...BECAUSE IT IS COVERED BY A 7-DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE, IS THAT IF IT EVER HAS HAD HEADERS, IT ALSO HAD TO HAVE A TUNE, THE HISTORY OF WHICH REMAINS WITH THE VEHICLE EVEN IF THE HEADERS WERE CURRENTLY REMOVED, right? AND I WANT TO GET AN EXTENDED WARRANTY VIA G.M. IF I CAN, WHICH WILL BE BEYOND THE 100-DAYS WARRANTY CARVANA PROVIDES. so, basically this is not a situation i'd prefer to encounter if i did not have too, but i AM covered while i decide whether to keep it or not at the same price. the problem is that it will cost me another $300 extra (not at all a terrible thing, but not a good thing either coz $300 is $300 !!! and i'm now not at all feeling inclinded to 'tip' the last-leg-shipper anymore after forking over an extra $300 no matter WHO gets it ahahahaha Even if someone DOES SELL me a warranty now, whether any specific dealership in the future would apply that warranty to a repair is something i cannot know with %100 certainty before the situation arrises...AND, i would already have had to lay out the cost of that warranty without knowing for certain if i could get a refund if a tune-history-prevents-coverage or if i wouldn't end up having to pay for a repair i thought was covered but wasn't.

so, whadya think? not the best of all possible circumstances i'm discovering here, is it?
Old 07-10-2019, 08:52 AM
09Z06pj
CF Senior Member

Received 485 Likes on 434 Posts

If you somehow get the car emissions certified in CA with the modifications, aren't you gong to have the same problem again in two years?
Old 07-10-2019, 12:00 PM
WA 2 FST
CF Senior Member

Received 178 Likes on 147 Posts

See if they will sell you the lower-mileage one for an extra $300 over your agreed-upon price of this car (which, with headers is not legal in your state/area).
Old 07-10-2019, 12:45 PM
CBMZR1
CF Senior Member

Received 678 Likes on 549 Posts

Wow... that took a turn down a shitty road.... Bro, it shouldnt' be that hard to buy a car. I recently purchased my 12 ZR1 from NM.... It was delivered 1 week to the day of purchase to my front door step here in Dallas TX in an enclosed trailer. Seamless transaction from a Chevy Dealership there in NM... Sorry you are going through this BS... If it helps, there is a TR 2010 3 ZR here in Dallas w 32K miles and the asking price is $53K... No headers, Bone Stock and Corvettes of Dallas delivers all over the country. Just a thought.
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=245028122

Last edited by CBMZR1; 07-10-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:16 AM
Josh M
CF Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Personalized plates ordered ..

IXLR8
So jealous! However in a good way Congrats on that car. That definitely is a steal!
Old 07-11-2019, 09:41 PM
o2baZR1
CF Senior Member

Next up is an extended warranty, you’ll use it for over what you paid for in cost. I got mine through Infinite for both c6s, z06 and ZR1. Cost $2300 for the ZR1, 6 years and or 70,000 miles.
how many miles/year since in-service point did u get offered that $2300 warranty you speak of? i'd buy that if it was the same price for this ZR that's already almost 10 years along with the 25,020 miles. i'm being delayed-on-delivery right now because they broke the splitter during shipment and are replacing it but the potential obstacle is regarding the final shipper in the process here in CA telling me my ZR has headers...which i'm very happy about...EXCEPT...it needs to get smogged in "KKK"-alifornia. so "mr-last-guy-in-the-chain-LUIS" says for $300 cash he'll get it smogged nonetheless. first he said i could keep the headers too, then they had to be removed, now i don't know which. BUT, my BIG obstaKKKle, as it seems to me (what do you guys think about this? what's been your experience?) my obstaKKKle now is that any vehicle that gets headers also gets an altered TUNE right? and the record of that remains forever with the ZR brain. SO: WHAT IS THE IMPACT ON THAT REGARDING OPPORTUNITY TO GET AN "EXTENDED" WARRANTY SUCH AS THE INFINITI WARRANTY KurtsZO6 HAS ME EXCITED ABOUT? AND EVEN IF I DO GET A WARRANTY SOLD TO ME BY INFINITI OR ANYONE ELSE, IN THE FUTURE WHEN/IF I TAKE MY ZR TO A CHEVY DEALER, MIGHT THEY VERY WELL JUST REFUSE TO BILL THE WARRANTY GUARANTOR SOLELY ON THE BASIS OF HAVING A TUNE STORED IN MEMORY?

I'VE VERY CONCERNED ABOUT THAT. I CERTAINLY DON'T WANT TO SPEND $2300 ON A WARRANTY ALONG AT LEAST $200 TIP SOMEWHERE ALONG THE LINE IN THAT PROCESS.

BTW: carvana just got a second ZR1 (another red one) with 12,500 miles or thereabouts for $58,900. they still have the black '09 with 4700 or thereabouts on it for $60,900. the none i'm quite possibly going to buy has 25,020 miles, is an '09 and price is $50,900. i don't think it's worth another $10,000 for 20,000 miles...even though it's still not at all a bad price if it's a top notch quality ZR. the 12,500 miles '09 in red as i say is $58,900 and also still not bad, depending on quality. i don't think 20,000 fewer miles is worth $10,000 and although it's a better proportioned deal, 12,500 fewer for $8,000 more is not especially enticing to me. how about you? what's your opinion?

they also have a '16 Z...can't recall the mileage at the moment, but most problematic to my way of thinking is that it's automatic.

Last edited by o2baZR1; 07-11-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:55 AM
KurtsZ06
CF Senior Member

California totally sucks when it comes to the smog program. Most mods don’t pass. My experience in Calif regarding smogging is this .. headers are a no go. I bought my Z06 and it had headers. Had to pull them even though they had Cats attached. If you have a guy that’ll overlook, perfect. There is always someone out there that’ll smog your car, cash is king. I wasn’t able to find such a guy.

As for Infinite warranty. In the contract it stipulates that any non factory performance mods null the coverage. As for a tuning mod, I’m not certain they’d catch that. You take your ZR in due to a spun bearing, for example, the adjuster they send out is not going to be looking at the computer memory. You have the same scenario, but instead you have Nitrous installed, you can bet the adjuster will recommend denial of coverage.
I put a supercharger on my Z06, under warranty with Infinite. Before I did so, I got a letter of approval from their underwriter stating that the powertrain is covered. I sent them all of the info they wanted, along with the complete installation invoice. So, modifications can apparently be done buy you’ll always want a letter from the warranty co that approves the mod.

Last edited by KurtsZ06; 07-13-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-13-2019, 03:08 PM
o2baZR1
CF Senior Member

well that is very interesting. i've never heard of such an allowance before. i will DEFINITELY be talking with INFINITE. thanks Bud

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: would YOU be opposed to purchasing this 2009 ZR1 if you were in the market?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: