Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06
Reload this Page >

zr1 stock stereo is realy crap. well. guess what you do

Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GMís Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Advertisement

zr1 stock stereo is realy crap. well. guess what you do

 
Old 07-06-2019, 04:41 PM
  #1  
wera78
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jan 2017
Posts: 29
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default zr1 stock stereo is realy crap. well. guess what you do

just wanted to tell everyone that is nervous to change it out .Well let me tell you what I found out, when I got enough nerve to have some shop pull apart my, 11' zr1 cmg .It was like trying to trust some doctor to operate on one of my kids. Yea i'm **** also. Well pulled the trigger and bought a top of the line pioneer with all the bells and whistles , around 800$ .also went for front and rear cameras , paid around 2K.Yea paid a little too much, told the guy though if he fucked my **** up I was going to split his wig..Yea LOL . .Well im not 6'4" 240 for nothing .Alright I will get to it just funning. It was night and day with the sound I mean no need to spend money and get new speakers or a different amp,I think a new amp that would fit in the factory location would only further improve though .Further more the sound quality and loudness was off the chart.It was like having and entirely new system. This made so much of a difference I felt compelled to share.

On another note .I've been thinking of this for awhile.I know there are quit a few of us in DFW we should post up and have a meet or a drive sometime? It would be nice to see others ,hang out ,share info?
wera78 is offline  
Old 07-07-2019, 12:01 AM
  #2  
Legionofone1
CF Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2019
Posts: 81
Likes: 0
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

This is super easy to do yourself and a great upgrade... I now have a 2010 with the same features of my wife's 2019 car.

I threw in a pioneer nex unit, a rear camera and a USB port into the cig lighter under the center console for carplay.

All you really need is a PAC box and a metra kit.

Last edited by Legionofone1; 07-07-2019 at 12:02 AM.
Legionofone1 is offline  
Old 07-07-2019, 12:47 AM
  #3  
wera78
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jan 2017
Posts: 29
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

[QUOTE=Legionofone1;1599709127]This is super easy to do yourself and a great upgrade... I now have a 2010 with the same features of my wife's 2019 car.

I threw in a pioneer nex unit, a rear camera and a USB port into the cig lighter under the center console. that's what I did what a difference it made .
wera78 is offline  
Old 07-07-2019, 03:01 AM
  #4  
JMBLOWNWS6
CF Senior Member
 
JMBLOWNWS6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2005
Location: New Braunfels TX
Posts: 2,592
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

As soon as I get more than a day off this junk *** stereo is gone. Im totally surprised how crappy it is! Install thread will be fun
JMBLOWNWS6 is offline  
Old 07-07-2019, 10:40 AM
  #5  
Pb82 Ronin
CF Senior Member
 
Pb82 Ronin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2012
Location: Out back
Posts: 2,785
Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts
Default

You'll get used to it...and then you'll want more. Thankfully, I've taken the journey, and I'm okay with sharing.
Pb82 Ronin is offline  
Old 07-07-2019, 01:59 PM
  #6  
RedZ4me
CF Senior Member
 
RedZ4me's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 4,592
Received 128 Likes on 108 Posts
Default

Which Avic unit #. ? Thanks
RedZ4me is offline  
Old 07-07-2019, 07:18 PM
  #7  
JMBLOWNWS6
CF Senior Member
 
JMBLOWNWS6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2005
Location: New Braunfels TX
Posts: 2,592
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

Im using the 4200 NEX out of my 2017 Jeep I am getting rid of. Should be an easy install. I really wish maestro idatalink did corvettes. I enjoyed the integration I had on the jeep and being able to read SES on the fly and the gauges. Oh well back to Torque app via HDMI / stream stick
JMBLOWNWS6 is offline  
Old 07-08-2019, 09:47 AM
  #8  
RedZ4me
CF Senior Member
 
RedZ4me's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 4,592
Received 128 Likes on 108 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by wera78 View Post
just wanted to tell everyone that is nervous to change it out .Well let me tell you what I found out, when I got enough nerve to have some shop pull apart my, 11' zr1 cmg .It was like trying to trust some doctor to operate on one of my kids. Yea i'm **** also. Well pulled the trigger and bought a top of the line pioneer with all the bells and whistles , around 800$ .also went for front and rear cameras , paid around 2K.Yea paid a little too much, told the guy though if he fucked my **** up I was going to split his wig..Yea LOL . .Well im not 6'4" 240 for nothing .Alright I will get to it just funning. It was night and day with the sound I mean no need to spend money and get new speakers or a different amp,I think a new amp that would fit in the factory location would only further improve though .Further more the sound quality and loudness was off the chart.It was like having and entirely new system. This made so much of a difference I felt compelled to share.

On another note .I've been thinking of this for awhile.I know there are quit a few of us in DFW we should post up and have a meet or a drive sometime? It would be nice to see others ,hang out ,share info?
Hi, which Avic unit # ?? thanks
RedZ4me is offline  
Old 07-08-2019, 10:49 AM
  #9  
wera78
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jan 2017
Posts: 29
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

I put the avh w4500 nex
wera78 is offline  
Old 07-08-2019, 04:38 PM
  #10  
KurtsZ06
CF Senior Member
 
KurtsZ06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2019
Posts: 244
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default

Just picked my ZR1 up from stereo shop, had the Sony RSX complete system installed. I added a different subwoofer and an upgraded amp.
What a sound system is all I can say. Friggin amazing. Pricey for a car stereo but worth every penny.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_700RSX...+din+car+radio
KurtsZ06 is offline  
Old 07-08-2019, 04:41 PM
  #11  
Legionofone1
CF Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2019
Posts: 81
Likes: 0
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by KurtsZ06 View Post
Just picked my ZR1 up from stereo shop, had the Sony RSX complete system installed. I added a different subwoofer and an upgraded amp.
What a sound system is all I can say. Friggin amazing. Pricey for a car stereo but worth every penny.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_700RSX...+din+car+radio
That's beautiful but seems to lack a lot of features...
Legionofone1 is offline  
Old 07-08-2019, 09:52 PM
  #12  
wera78
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jan 2017
Posts: 29
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

What amp did you use?
wera78 is offline  
Old 07-08-2019, 11:58 PM
  #13  
LawrenceFromTorrance
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2004
Location: Oakhurst Ca
Posts: 1,091
Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Default

Did the phone use the existing mic or did you put in a new mic? I ask because I'm afraid that the radio, etc will work better but the phone will not work as well as in the stock setup.
LawrenceFromTorrance is offline  
Old 07-09-2019, 12:05 AM
  #14  
wera78
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jan 2017
Posts: 29
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Ir was all stock install
wera78 is offline  
Old 07-09-2019, 12:07 AM
  #15  
JMBLOWNWS6
CF Senior Member
 
JMBLOWNWS6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2005
Location: New Braunfels TX
Posts: 2,592
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

With any aftermarket unit it will have its own MIC. All of my experience with the Pioneer NEX series has been great bluetooth quality. I have 8100,4200 and 4100 so thats from experience with these units. And I installed them all myself so I have a good grasp on Pioneer products. The key to the install is MIC placement. In my Silverado its in the middle of the truck where my sunroof controls are. In my 2017 Jeep JK its wired into the rear view mirror and when I had my Trans Am it was above the mirror right in front of the window. The ZR1 placement will be in the headliner above the mirror middle of cabin.

Last edited by JMBLOWNWS6; 07-09-2019 at 12:08 AM.
JMBLOWNWS6 is offline  
Old 07-09-2019, 12:07 AM
  #16  
wera78
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jan 2017
Posts: 29
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

It was a stock install
wera78 is offline  
Old 07-09-2019, 10:08 AM
  #17  
KurtsZ06
CF Senior Member
 
KurtsZ06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2019
Posts: 244
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by wera78 View Post
What amp did you use?

Alpine - PDX Series Class D Digital Multichannel MOSFET Amplifier

KurtsZ06 is offline  
Old 07-09-2019, 10:16 AM
  #18  
KurtsZ06
CF Senior Member
 
KurtsZ06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2019
Posts: 244
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Legionofone1 View Post
That's beautiful but seems to lack a lot of features...
On the surface, it doesnít have all the bells and whistles. For pure music sound and clarity, it canít be beat. I pipe navigation through it, from my phone. I rarely use navigation, especially in this ZR so a moving map is not important. My preference. I can pipe in music from my phone and iPad, plus satellite so Iím good. The upgraded amp has more ***** than the package amp and the set of speakers plus the sub have unbelievable clarity at any sound level. Iím old s hood music ( ZZ Top, Steppenwolf, etc ) and unlike before, Iím listening without any distortion or background noise.

All personal preference.
KurtsZ06 is offline  
Old 07-09-2019, 06:53 PM
  #19  
Scuba_Steve
CF Senior Member
 
Scuba_Steve's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: Colorado Springs, CO.
Posts: 643
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6 View Post
Im using the 4200 NEX out of my 2017 Jeep I am getting rid of. Should be an easy install. I really wish maestro idatalink did corvettes. I enjoyed the integration I had on the jeep and being able to read SES on the fly and the gauges. Oh well back to Torque app via HDMI / stream stick
Can you elaborate more on using the Torque app via HDMI/Stream stick? I'd love to get the Torque gauges on my head unit, I use it all the time mainly to monitor IAT's.
Scuba_Steve is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 08:41 PM
  #20  
JMBLOWNWS6
CF Senior Member
 
JMBLOWNWS6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2005
Location: New Braunfels TX
Posts: 2,592
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Scuba_Steve View Post
Can you elaborate more on using the Torque app via HDMI/Stream stick? I'd love to get the Torque gauges on my head unit, I use it all the time mainly to monitor IAT's.

So if you have a streaming stick it will mirror your phone to your AVIC. On a 4200 aka 4100 NEX model you have to install the bypass on it inorder to see video in motion. Order a Screen Beam Mini2 and your in business via HDMI. Its only a mirror no control functions but it does work for that exact function. I used it to watch youtube etc on the road on long trips. I havent used it in a long time once I had adapted to imaestro but I cant use that anymore on the C6 platform so back to my old school ways.

Last edited by JMBLOWNWS6; 07-10-2019 at 08:42 PM.
JMBLOWNWS6 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: zr1 stock stereo is realy crap. well. guess what you do


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: