Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Cleaning - How Delecate are the CC Rotors?

Old 07-08-2019, 04:23 PM
Legionofone1
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Cleaning - How Delecate are the CC Rotors?

I am trying to find a good place in town to get my car washed and none of them even seem to know what carbon ceramic brakes are or that you have to be careful with them. Even the places showing off ferrari's and AMG's for their advertisements.

This got me thinking, how truly fragile are these thing? How does road grime not destroy them? Do I need to get wheel bags to cover them when the guy does the rest of the car?

My plotting for Z06 brakes gets more pronounced daily.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:49 PM
JMBLOWNWS6
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

Your rotors are designed to take abuse from the elements. So getting them wet isnt a problem. If they are removing the tires and you are worried about the drum chipping the rotor best bet it to DIY.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:24 AM
JimsCorvettes
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Legionofone1
My plotting for Z06 brakes gets more pronounced daily.

Do you or plan on tracking your car?
Old 07-09-2019, 07:47 AM
Legionofone1
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

I am not Jim, shes going to be a daily driver, figure the 1K to swap to Z06 brakes would pay for itself 6x over if I ever had an issue with the CCBs, it would also get rid of the damn brake squeak.

My main fear is that somethings going to get on the damn things and ruin them somehow.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:57 AM
BAAD LS2
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2017 C6 of Year

Don't spray wheel or tire cleaner on the brakes. If they are just hand washing using regular car wash soap they will be fine. If taking wheels off, use the rotor protectors so they don't get chipped.

When they squeak, its because of pad material built up on the rotor. Go take it out and do some 100+mph hard braking like almost to the point of lockup and it will clean them off and they won't do it for a while.
The following users liked this post:
Black E (07-19-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 11:19 AM
ZR1Gerhardt
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BAAD LS2
Don't spray wheel or tire cleaner on the brakes. If they are just hand washing using regular car wash soap they will be fine. If taking wheels off, use the rotor protectors so they don't get chipped.

When they squeak, its because of pad material built up on the rotor. Go take it out and do some 100+mph hard braking like almost to the point of lockup and it will clean them off and they won't do it for a while.
This will fix it.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:58 AM
GTIMANiac
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

The burnishing procedure cracks me up. I wonder how many iron rotor people have boiled fluid after a few stops trying it, thinking it applied to them.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:51 PM
JimsCorvettes
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BAAD LS2

Old 07-09-2019, 04:53 PM
JimsCorvettes
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Legionofone1
I am not Jim, shes going to be a daily driver, figure the 1K to swap to Z06 brakes would pay for itself 6x over if I ever had an issue with the CCBs, it would also get rid of the damn brake squeak.

My main fear is that somethings going to get on the damn things and ruin them somehow.
If you drive in the street, I would keep them on the car. CCB's will last you a lifetime... BUT not on the track! (ask me how I know)
Old 07-10-2019, 10:58 AM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

yeah swaping to Z06 brakes are the worst thing you could do...if you're going to swap to iron brakes, then for pete sake just swap out for a real race set up...otherwise I feel you're wasting time and money and will end up with lesser brakes.

I'd avoid spraying wheel cleaners because some can ruin your caliper finish, and you don't want to risk over spray doing something weird to the rotors either...when it comes to wheels on the ZR1, soap and water, a soft brush and go to town.

Get notified of new replies

To Cleaning - How Delecate are the CC Rotors?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [ZR1] Cleaning - How Delecate are the CC Rotors?