Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GMís Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Advertisement

Loose feeling rear end

Old 07-09-2019, 06:56 AM
Zo6chip
CF Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose feeling rear end

My Z06 makes about 550 hp at the tires. I have noticed going around turns under power the rear end feels like it wants to step out or spin. Traction control on. Also with the traction control off if I get into it hard it always spins to the left making it hard to control. Was thinking maybe the bushing were bad. The car has 42000 miles and itís a 2006. I have read the TC could cause the feeling around corners. I wanted to take it to the mountains for some curvy road playing but sure donít like the uneasy feeling from the rear.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:41 AM
Mordeth
CF Senior Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 645 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Get yourself a better set of shocks. Like DRM Bilsteins. That will help somewhat in keeping the rear planted. And yes, the bushings can go bad and should be inspected. They can dry out and crack. A rear spoiler and a front ZR1 splitter with reinforcement brace will also help, by creating aerodynamic downforce that will keep the car better planted during acceleration and cornering. And make sure you are on quality, fresh tires that have some heat in them before attempting these maneuvers. You will know they have heat in them when the tire pressure starts to rise. You should also get an alignment, to ensure nothing is off.

Finally, you should always be careful with throttle application in a high horsepower, high revving, rear wheel drive car that is already loose from the factory. I am not suggesting you are doing this, but never stab the throttle. You progressively and firmly apply throttle as you accelerate, feeling out the available traction. If the rear starts to come loose, you should understand how to softly (not abruptly) lift off the throttle and counter-steer appropriately. Movements should be slight and precise. Do not over-correct, do not panic. It is a learned behavior and takes practice.

Keep all your nannies on until you understand completely how to anticipate what the car is doing and control it properly. It takes practice and a sensitive butt-o-meter. Competition mode will take off the stupid traction control and allow some yaw/slip angle.

Last edited by Mordeth; 07-09-2019 at 08:00 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Mordeth:
CDNZ (07-09-2019), Formula8 (07-09-2019), Maligator (07-11-2019), MTPZ06 (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 07:57 AM
CBMZR1
CF Senior Member

Received 678 Likes on 549 Posts

Well said Anthony... As always, sound advise.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:38 AM
DaOtherOne
CF Senior Member

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

When I saw the post title, I was tempted to post a bad exercise joke but decided not to. I must be growing up.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:28 PM
mykream
CF Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

As Anthony said, shocks and bushing are big items for the not so sound feelings in the rear end. A set of delrin or poly bushings would definitely make a big difference. A good set of shocks will keep the car more stable as well.
The following users liked this post:
Racingswh (07-11-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 01:56 PM
gsflyer2011
CF Senior Member

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

More negative camber. That is how i resolved my twitchy rear end. Street alignment is not for aggressive drivers that wants to utilize the design and potential if this car.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:04 PM
MTPZ06
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,231 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Shocks (DRM's), proper 4 wheel alignment for your driving habits, inspect sway bar bushings/mounting brackets as I have seen the bolts back out before, sway bar end links are a wear item that needs periodic replacement, inspect/replace control arm bushings if needed, and lastly...tires. What kind of tires, and how old they are can affect handling and traction

Last edited by MTPZ06; 07-09-2019 at 02:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MTPZ06:
LV Vette (07-09-2019), Racingswh (07-11-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 08:55 PM
Zo6chip
CF Member

Thanks guys for the info. My C5 Z06 made about 420 at the tides and it was very stable during wheel spin. It always went straight when spinning and around curves it was nailed to the road. I know the C6 makes a lot more power but I thought the handling was better the C5. I will check the rear bushing this weekend. My buddy has the same car with the same mods and his car goes straight when spinning. Mind steps out to the left every time. I’ll post what I find.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:06 PM
STANG KILLA SS
CF Senior Member

Received 176 Likes on 143 Posts

DRM shocks and better tires that can handle your power level.
every time i put my street tires on (PSS) the car scares the **** out of me. down right dangerous.
but with my race tires (200TW) i dont get this feeling at all. car is very planted.

i will also say that i didnt feel ANY difference when going from stock shocks with 42k on them to DRM Bilsteins on track. you could do a blind back to back test and id never feel the difference. however this does not seem to be be norm. most people like them (plecebo/ new parts effect?)
Old 07-11-2019, 09:42 PM
Zo6chip
CF Member

I had a friend suggest today it might be my posi unit slipping. I’ve never experienced this feeling before makes sense. What’s your opinion

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Loose feeling rear end

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: