Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Advertisement

[ZR1] C8?

Old 07-10-2019, 08:28 AM
CBMZR1
CF Senior Member

Received 671 Likes on 542 Posts

The C6's interior may be lacking .I happen to like it. The C7 is much nicer in terms of bells whistles PDR, Comp seats etc
I owned an 08Z06 (3LZ) It had the Sienna Linen interior, my current ZR1 has the Cashmere interior.
Prior to buying my old C6ZR1 (3ZR) I drove a few C7Z's and almost bought one. I kept going back to the rarity of the ZR1 and the raw power.

For me, and my money, I chose the ZR1....

To be clear... It is not my intent to bash the C8... I have been trolling the C8 forums, talking to friends who are considering picking one up, trying to educate myself on this drastic new platform and still... " I am not feeling it". I am content w my 8 yr old ZR1...

1sikstick... Waiting on pics....
Old 07-10-2019, 09:55 AM
Texasthunder
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts

I am wondering if the people in the 50 and 60's thought their interiors sucked. Everything improves over time (with a cost). 2010 ZR1 seats fit my *** just fine.I didn't buy it to be comfortable. I bought it to go fast. I think the C8 like it or dislike it question (body shape) will depend a lot on the paint choices.

In for more pics. of 1Sikstik car also.

Matt------ BTR3 cam yet?
The following users liked this post:
WA 2 FST (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 10:16 AM
KurtsZ06
CF Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Good point about mid engine layouts and post warranty service. I’ve gone through those hoops twice, not pretty. The prospect of doing the service yourself, from the very basic items, is utterly impossible. My last mid engine had developed an oil leak at the water pump. Genius Italians put a high pressure oil cavity within the pump housing sealed by a 10 cent paper gasket. I tried for hours to gain decent access ... finally gave in an had an Indy do the work. One oil leak = $6300.00.

No doubt the weight distribution is better in a mid engine, but seems to me the C6 is almost perfectly balanced.

Like the others here, I’m far from bashing the C8. Evolution of cars is inevitable whether it be in aerodynamics or mechanicals. I’m just wondering about the long term consumer feedback. When you dump $300k + on an exotic and it breaks down, to save face you keep your mouth shut. When a Chevy breaks down, you see headlines from C/D and Motortrend.
WA 2 FST (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 10:35 AM
RedZ4me
CF Senior Member

Received 128 Likes on 108 Posts

I think the love for the C8 will increase plenty when the more performance oriented versions arrive (z06/ZR1) Until then, I'll enjoy my 'almost 10 year old' ZR1 purchased with a whole 6400 kms (4000 miles) last year.
CBMZR1 (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 11:14 AM
WA 2 FST
CF Senior Member

Received 178 Likes on 147 Posts

To me (and we are all different, even though owners on this board obviously share a commonality being in the C6 community), it is all about my own personal driving experience; that includes my style/type of driving. I no longer do much racing at a dragstrip or closed course. That's just the way it is. That's not bad or wrong, it is just different from some other owners. I want to be able to get in and enjoy the car (not my DD) immediately. I don't need/want a ton of high-tech gadgets. They aren't _bad_... but they take time to learn/navigate, and I just want to get in and drive. I'm sure I can do that with a newer model... but I drove a C7Z06 before I bought my C6ZR1 and chose the ZR1.

Is the interior dated... sure is. Do I care? Nope. Might that matter to a prospective buyer in the future? Doubtful. If it is an issue, they wouldn't be looking at a C6 ZR1 in the first place. And, FWIW, I've never bought a car to please someone else... either a future buyer, or gawkers/passers-by.

At my age (early 50s), I've probably bought my last Vette. Whether the C8 is "all that" or not, I seriously doubt it will affect whether I go buy one or not. It's going to be a very different Corvette, for many reasons. Strangely enough, if I buy another one, it will almost undoubtedly be a resto-mod C3 chrome bumper car. The only car, out of many, that I've owned that I regret selling... '69 BB restomod 'vert. Wasn't nearly as fast as my C6 ZR1 or TT C5Z, it certainly wasn't refined, had manual, roll-up windows, no power locks, and the interior was certainly dated... but in a cool way.

If you have the financial means -and- you're a "latest and greatest" owner, then you'll trade/sell anything over a few years old for the next/newest rendition... and that's perfectly fine. GM needs those types of folks, as well as those new to the brand, in order to keep the Corvette around.
The following 2 users liked this post by WA 2 FST:
CBMZR1 (07-10-2019), KurtsZ06 (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 12:34 PM
CBMZR1
CF Senior Member

Thank you Joel... coming from you, I respect your points and they are valid. The fact that you OWN a C6Z06, a C6ZR1 and a C7ZR1 and have even shared w me that you are contemplating a C8 also tells me and should tell others that you know these cars and what goes into them and more importantly what you want out of them.

I am sure the C8Z's will be CRAZY fast and very cool... But the base C8 like the C7 Stingray does nothing for me.

Thanks for stopping by my friend. TTYS....

Originally Posted by JG853 View Post
Matt -

I like Front engine cars, so my opinion is a little biased in that regard. To your point, the base C8 Stingray does not do much for me. I think the wide body car will look pretty neat. That being said, it will be a lot more expensive than people are posting in the C8 section of this website. I am waiting for someone to show me how this new Z06 version will be less than $150K base MSRP - Given a dual clutch, twin turbo set-up. Maybe I am wrong, who knows. The other thing people are not mentioning is on a rear engine car, is the maintenance costs - Yes, the car will be under warranty, but do you really want your engine being dropped out of the car all of the time? Last time I checked, that is what had to be done on all of my friends mid engine cars. Enjoy your ZR1 - It looks awesome!

JG
Old 07-10-2019, 02:16 PM
JG853
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

You too Matt - You have owned several C5 and C6 Z06s/ZR1 yourself. We help each other and learn from each other. Glad you are enjoying your CBM ZR1 - A car that is as rare and awesome as they ever made!

JG

Originally Posted by CBMZR1 View Post
Thank you Joel... coming from you, I respect your points and they are valid. The fact that you OWN a C6Z06, a C6ZR1 and a C7ZR1 and have even shared w me that you are contemplating a C8 also tells me and should tell others that you know these cars and what goes into them and more importantly what you want out of them.

I am sure the C8Z's will be CRAZY fast and very cool... But the base C8 like the C7 Stingray does nothing for me.

Thanks for stopping by my friend. TTYS....
Old 07-10-2019, 03:18 PM
MTPZ06
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,229 Likes on 1,080 Posts

Growing up, Corvettes never really captured my eye until the C4 ZR1...never owned one though. Loved my '03 C5Z immensely, and still loving my '09 C6Z...wish I could drive it more here though. I'm always going to have to own a Z or ZR if I own any more Corvettes...so I'm still anxiously waiting to see the C8 variants of those before I decide if I really like the car. The C7's never really grew on me like I hoped they might. I never planned to get rid of my C5Z; but the when I laid eyes on a C6Z in person for the first time, it was love at first sight...I had to have one. Nowhere close to feeling that way about the C7 Z / ZR. Fingers crossed for the C8...

My back up plan if its not a C8 Z / ZR in my future...I'm still very fond of the AMG GT (S, C, R variants).

Last edited by MTPZ06; 07-10-2019 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:35 PM
CBMZR1
CF Senior Member

Brother... I cannot bring myself to crack the LS9 open... that would be sacrilege...

Originally Posted by Texasthunder View Post
I am wondering if the people in the 50 and 60's thought their interiors sucked. Everything improves over time (with a cost). 2010 ZR1 seats fit my *** just fine.I didn't buy it to be comfortable. I bought it to go fast. I think the C8 like it or dislike it question (body shape) will depend a lot on the paint choices.

In for more pics. of 1Sikstik car also.

Matt------ BTR3 cam yet?
Old 07-10-2019, 04:58 PM
Texasthunder
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts

Just pulling your string. If I were you, I couldn't do it either. Put that beautiful wife in it and get that smile going and drive.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:08 PM
Stavesacre21
CF Senior Member

Received 113 Likes on 70 Posts

I'll glance at the C8 once it's revealed, but so far the camo shots haven't much impressed me at all. They need to hire an entire TEAM of people to design ONLY the rear ends of these cars, cause the butt of the C8 just looks so boxy and ugly. Same goes for the C7's rear. And unlike the OP, the C7 never did and still doesn't do anything for me at all.

My loyalty to the Corvette may end at the C6. Sitting on a C6ZR1, I do feel like I've hit my personal epitome of Corvette ownership. Not sure where I would (or will) go from here.
WA 2 FST (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 05:17 PM
CBMZR1
CF Senior Member

I am with you there ..

Originally Posted by Stavesacre21 View Post
I'll glance at the C8 once it's revealed, but so far the camo shots haven't much impressed me at all. They need to hire an entire TEAM of people to design ONLY the rear ends of these cars, cause the butt of the C8 just looks so boxy and ugly. Same goes for the C7's rear. And unlike the OP, the C7 never did and still doesn't do anything for me at all.

My loyalty to the Corvette may end at the C6. Sitting on a C6ZR1, I do feel like I've hit my personal epitome of Corvette ownership. Not sure where I would (or will) go from here.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:20 PM
rbartick
CF Senior Member

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 353 Likes on 266 Posts

... smaller displacement.. Perhaps I have become a little jaded with my recent ZR1 purchase.
Your car is 6.2L and the C8 will be 6.2L.

Yes, you have become jaded.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:56 AM
chassed
CF Senior Member

Received 206 Likes on 157 Posts

Brother... I cannot bring myself to crack the LS9 open... that would be sacrilege...
Say that now, till I blow past you 😜😜😜

The following 2 users liked this post by chassed:
CBMZR1 (07-11-2019), MPeters1961 (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 04:06 AM
Telepierre
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 149 Posts

Sorry don't own neither a C6 Z06 nor Zr1 but this thread is hitting home at so many levels and I am really interested in a C8!
I own a resto-mod C1 which I took to 400HP and own a heavily modded C6 both for power and aesthetics.
The C6 is a stupendous daily drivers and long haul cruiser. From time to time I play with the power as well but after a few years of ownership I am self realizing that for sports cars... I am a comfort ride + aesthetics kind of guy. Aesthetics to me is curves that work rather than angles that work..

I am hoping the C8 will bring back some of those curves...
Old 07-11-2019, 08:28 AM
JG853
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I think the C8 Stingray is 6.2 but the Z06 (Or equivalent) has been mentioned to be a smaller displacement Twin Turbo. We do not know yet, but we shall see...

Originally Posted by rbartick View Post

CBMZR1 (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 08:34 AM
CBMZR1
CF Senior Member

Perhaps.....
Even though the 2019 Chevrolet Corvette C8 will be a mid-engine car, this doesn’t mean we are going to see exotic powertrains. Instead, the base model is more than likely going to stick with a 6.2 liter naturally aspirated V8 with around 450 to 480 horsepower and close to 450 lb-ft of torque.

Originally Posted by rbartick View Post

Old 07-11-2019, 09:20 AM
C6Z06Silverbullet
CF Senior Member

Received 123 Likes on 115 Posts

I love the C6, C7 and hopefully the C8. What I see so far I like but some of the renderings show a very pointy nose which I don't like to much. I believe the only model that is coming out right now is the base anyway. Wanna see the Z06 & ZR1
Old 07-11-2019, 09:47 AM
jammeejamm
CF Senior Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

bro, i just want to go fast.
Texasthunder (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 10:22 AM
jbp8653
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

27 Corvettes here since 1974. Last one is a 13' 60th Anniversary ZR1 that I bought 12/13. Still have it.. I might add that I am a 30 year Chevy dealership employee. Although I like the C7 it's not enough to buy one. I actually have driven one only once. We have a C7 ZR1 on the show room floor that I can buy so cheap you won't believe it if I told you..Employee pricing,rebates,ect,ect. Still a lot of money though and I would have to trade my C6 ZR1. I personally am looking forward to the C8. I think it is going to be a awesome car especially in the Z06 and ZR1 version. Probably several years away from the big horsepower version. Looking forward to seeing this car. Hope I am not disappointed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [ZR1] C8?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: