Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GMs Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Advertisement

What is this - picture?

 
Old 07-10-2019, 12:33 AM
  #1  
froggy47
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
froggy47's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2002
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 10,478
Received 141 Likes on 122 Posts
Default What is this - picture?

It's falling off my 2013 c6z windshield. How do I stick it back up? The long wires are for my dash cam.


Last edited by froggy47; 07-10-2019 at 12:34 AM.
froggy47 is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 12:40 AM
  #2  
ss2z06
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,130
Received 59 Likes on 54 Posts
Default

It’s the onstar antenna
ss2z06 is online now  
Old 07-10-2019, 01:00 AM
  #3  
froggy47
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
froggy47's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2002
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 10,478
Received 141 Likes on 122 Posts
Default

How do I reattach it? Does not feel "gluey".

froggy47 is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 08:21 AM
  #4  
Undy
CF Senior Member
 
Undy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 1999
Location: Virginia Beach, VA & Port Charlotte, FL (snowbird)
Posts: 3,201
Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts
Default

I would imagine it uses standard rear view mirror glue.
Undy is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 12:16 PM
  #5  
froggy47
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
froggy47's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2002
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 10,478
Received 141 Likes on 122 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Undy View Post
I would imagine it uses standard rear view mirror glue.
Same as superglue?

froggy47 is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 01:54 PM
  #6  
MTPZ06
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
MTPZ06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2008
Location: Honolulu HI
Posts: 13,566
Received 1,231 Likes on 1,082 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by froggy47 View Post
Same as superglue?

No...designed for glass adhesion. Any auto parts store should carry.


MTPZ06 is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 02:30 PM
  #7  
froggy47
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
froggy47's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2002
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 10,478
Received 141 Likes on 122 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MTPZ06 View Post
No...designed for glass adhesion. Any auto parts store should carry.

thx.
froggy47 is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 01:20 AM
  #8  
froggy47
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
froggy47's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2002
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 10,478
Received 141 Likes on 122 Posts
Default

So I peeled it off and it's not any glue , it is very thin double stick tape of some kind.

So anyone know about this & where I can get some. I doubt very much any regular tape will last with the sun beating on it in parking lots, must be special tape.



It lasted 6 years so I guess I'll just use the same, right?
froggy47 is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 11:38 AM
  #9  
wjnjr
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2009
Location: Klein TX
Posts: 1,536
Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

Lots of different double stick tapes available for different applications. Try your local body shop supply house & just explain what you need, rather than wasting time at Home Depot or Lowes. Let us know what you find, stuff like this will become more common as the cars get older.

Last edited by wjnjr; 07-12-2019 at 11:39 AM.
wjnjr is online now  
Old 07-12-2019, 12:31 PM
  #10  
froggy47
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
froggy47's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2002
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 10,478
Received 141 Likes on 122 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by wjnjr View Post
Lots of different double stick tapes available for different applications. Try your local body shop supply house & just explain what you need, rather than wasting time at Home Depot or Lowes. Let us know what you find, stuff like this will become more common as the cars get older.
I'll try this & do a video (of course). Trip to Amazon is faster than a trip to body shop, haha. I love hanging out at automotive shops, but it's hit or miss if you get to talk with the "right" guy. It'll just fall off if it does not work and I'll try another.


https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BU7038A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2CLSPX77ALNG9&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BU7038A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2CLSPX77ALNG9&psc=1

Reviews said guys use it for body side moulding, attach solar panels to campers, etc. CF parts like a spoiler. That last seems dicy, tape holding a spoiler @ 150mph?

Last edited by froggy47; 07-12-2019 at 12:34 PM.
froggy47 is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 01:19 PM
  #11  
Function Racer
CF Senior Member
 
Function Racer's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2017
Location: CT
Posts: 187
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

Lots of companies use 2-sided tape for those applications.

Adhesive properties and bond knowledge has increased dramatically in the past decade. For the original question: Simply go to Autozone or Advance Auto and buy this: https://www.autozone.com/sealants-gl...tape/12717_0_0
Function Racer is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 01:28 PM
  #12  
froggy47
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
froggy47's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2002
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 10,478
Received 141 Likes on 122 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Function Racer View Post
Lots of companies use 2-sided tape for those applications.

Adhesive properties and bond knowledge has increased dramatically in the past decade. For the original question: Simply go to Autozone or Advance Auto and buy this: https://www.autozone.com/sealants-gl...tape/12717_0_0

THX pretty sure it same as I got on Amazon, different width, diff pkg.
froggy47 is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 03:42 PM
  #13  
MAD Matt
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2012
Posts: 384
Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts
Default

3M VHB (Very High Bond) with red backing. So strong they use it to hold the plate glass in the window frames of skyscrapers. The tallest building in the world in UAE has all of it's glass held in with this stuff. Amazing technology and a great product. I use it for many applications and it currently holds the Caravaggio rear spoiler on my C5Z.
MAD Matt is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 10:56 PM
  #14  
froggy47
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
froggy47's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2002
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 10,478
Received 141 Likes on 122 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MAD Matt View Post
3M VHB (Very High Bond) with red backing. So strong they use it to hold the plate glass in the window frames of skyscrapers. The tallest building in the world in UAE has all of it's glass held in with this stuff. Amazing technology and a great product. I use it for many applications and it currently holds the Caravaggio rear spoiler on my C5Z.
VHB red that's what I ordered thx. Got the old stuff off today, car parked in the sun at the gym for a couple of hours, peeled it with my thumb, came off clean. Not sure if GM uses this one we are talking about or similar?
froggy47 is offline  
Old 07-13-2019, 04:17 PM
  #15  
wjnjr
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2009
Location: Klein TX
Posts: 1,536
Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

Well, no, if the factory used the very thin double stick tape that's a different product than VHB red label which is thicker. Should work OK anyway, the VHB sticks like crazy. OEMs use it for trim & emblems.

3M double sided tape info:

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...94857497&rt=r3

Last edited by wjnjr; 07-13-2019 at 04:24 PM.
wjnjr is online now  
Old 07-13-2019, 07:16 PM
  #16  
froggy47
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
froggy47's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2002
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 10,478
Received 141 Likes on 122 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by wjnjr View Post
Well, no, if the factory used the very thin double stick tape that's a different product than VHB red label which is thicker. Should work OK anyway, the VHB sticks like crazy. OEMs use it for trim & emblems.

3M double sided tape info:

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...94857497&rt=r3
The vhb is at least double the thickness if not 2.5x, so GM must get something else. This application should be fine, but for others I don't think the gap created by thicker tape would be wanted.

froggy47 is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is this - picture?


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: