Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Breaking ac belt 2006 z06

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 09:53 AM
RandyA
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breaking ac belt 2006 z06

I have a 2006 Z06 with a Procharger supercharger that I purchased with the Procharger setup. In recent weeks, when I started the engine with AC I got in a fairly severe fan belt squeal. It lasted 5 to 10 seconds and then cleared out. The AC worked. Recently it didn't clear out and on a trip around the block I snapped the accessory belt in half. This particular 4 rib belt runs between the AC compressor the main crank pulley and an idler pulley that has another 8 rib belt running the power steering and the alternator. I gather this is the modified 2 belt 8 rib Procharger setup. With a new 4 rib belt when I turn off the air conditioning the belt noise disappears immediately. I've hooked up my harbor freight AC gauges and get a static pressure of around 55 psi on both the high side and the low side so I would assume that the system is properly charged. When the belt is squealing the compressor is still turning (compressor pulley center section is rotating). With the new belt in place I hesitate to run the engine to see if I get any kind of proper high low pressures. I was hoping there might be some clever answer that would help me avoid the job of replacing the compressor. Any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.
Randy
Old 07-15-2019, 03:59 PM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

I had an AC compressor lock up on my Z06 and would break the belt fairly quickly. I ending up getting a new compressor. The clutch mechanisim in the pulley may be going.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Breaking ac belt 2006 z06