Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Headers or No Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2024, 11:27 PM
jtm1968
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headers or No Headers?

Hi Everyone,

I was planning to buy a set of catted ARH headers/x-pipe for my C6 Z06 but a local tuning shop in Utah informed me that they will not pass emissions, especially because the state is starting to get more stringent with respect to emissions inspections. I have been told that Kooks Green Cat System is the only header system that is EPA approved/legal, but they are pricey at over $3k. Is it worth it? If not, is it even worth modding the car at all without headers?

I look forward to hearing everyone’s opinions.
Old 05-23-2024, 06:51 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,870 Likes on 3,092 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Kooks does make the best aftermarket catalytic converters however the Z06 factory manifolds flow pretty well so is it worth it to drop 3k+ ( and the cost of a tune) for a 20 something hp gain? That's your call
Old 05-23-2024, 08:05 AM
furious427
Drifting

Received 473 Likes on 338 Posts

It all depends on how far you plan on going with mods. Do you plan on doing heads and cam later on down the road?
Another factor is are you doing the work yourself or having a shop do the work?
And as you know you will also need to tune.
Old 05-23-2024, 08:53 AM
jtm1968
Intermediate

Originally Posted by furious427
It all depends on how far you plan on going with mods. Do you plan on doing heads and cam later on down the road?
Another factor is are you doing the work yourself or having a shop do the work?
And as you know you will also need to tune.
I was planning to do ported heads, cam, intake, throttle body, tune, etc. What I’m really asking is if all that other stuff will fail to provide the same gains as it otherwise would if I don’t add LTs.

I would be doing the work myself. The entire exhaust is currently out of the car for a clutch replacement, which is why I’m considering upgrading the exhaust now.
Old 05-23-2024, 09:33 AM
jerseydrew
Melting Slicks

Received 217 Likes on 100 Posts

only you can answer the cost per hp gain question. but with cam and heads the headers will provide significant gains. with nothing else done i wouldn't waste my time or money. if you are at that point and doing work yourself at least do the exhaust, cold air intake and cam with tune for now. then later upgrade everything else. you may be happy with just the 100-ish hp bump of a cam, intake and headers.
Old 05-23-2024, 11:02 AM
Kevin Mason
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jtm1968
I was planning to do ported heads, cam, intake, throttle body, tune, etc. What I’m really asking is if all that other stuff will fail to provide the same gains as it otherwise would if I don’t add LTs.

I would be doing the work myself. The entire exhaust is currently out of the car for a clutch replacement, which is why I’m considering upgrading the exhaust now.
Correct me if I am wrong, but doing that stuff also might cause you to fail emissions, depending.

From what I understand, and keep in mind, I know just enough to be dangerous, I wouldn't do the exhaust by itself. In fact, headers aren't strictly necessary with a very mild cam/ported heads, although they will help. You still will need a tune with cam/heads.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (05-24-2024)
Old 05-23-2024, 11:04 AM
Dj_or_dj
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 134 Posts

Hi Everyone,

I was planning to buy a set of catted ARH headers/x-pipe for my C6 Z06 but a local tuning shop in Utah informed me that they will not pass emissions, especially because the state is starting to get more stringent with respect to emissions inspections. I have been told that Kooks Green Cat System is the only header system that is EPA approved/legal, but they are pricey at over $3k. Is it worth it? If not, is it even worth modding the car at all without headers?

I look forward to hearing everyone’s opinions.
Once the physical location of your catalytic converters has moved it is no longer considered “legal”

the only headers that are legal
are shorties.

Old 05-23-2024, 11:08 AM
jtm1968
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dj_or_dj
Once the physical location of your catalytic converters has moved it is no longer considered “legal”

the only headers that are legal
are shorties.
so I guess the real question is: is it even worth it to do ported heads, cai, ported msd intake and a cam if you leave the factory exhaust intact? How much power and torque would be left on the table by skipping the LTs but doing the rest?
Old 05-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Dj_or_dj
Burning Brakes

so I guess the real question is: is it even worth it to do ported heads, cai, ported msd intake and a cam if you leave the factory exhaust intact? How much power and torque would be left on the table by skipping the LTs but doing the rest?

Okay so now you are asking the right questions.

there are some work arounds to this.

As far as heads go. Trickflow specialties has CARB legal heads that flow more than ported OEM garbage does from a smaller chamber. And cost no more than $3500. The work around would be those heads and supercharge the Z06 with a CARB legal A&A kit and those Trick flow heads. Running no more than 5psi and you’re good.

Unless you want to do a cam swap every two years lol

Last edited by Dj_or_dj; 05-23-2024 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-23-2024, 11:26 AM
jtm1968
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dj_or_dj
Okay so now you are asking the right questions.

there are some work arounds to this.

As far as heads go. Trickflow specialties has CARB legal heads that flow more than ported OEM garbage does from a smaller chamber. And cost no more than $3500. The work around would be those heads and supercharge the Z06 with a CARB legal A&A kit and those Trick flow heads. Running no more than 5psi and you’re good.

Unless you want to do a cam swap every two years lol
How would this setup compare to a traditional 600whp hci N/A setup?

Am I to understand that changing heads and cam will cause the car to fail emissions? I definitely haven’t heard that from the local tuners. Mostly just concern that emissions testers are being forced to start taking pictures of the stock cats and submitting them to the authorities (EPA?)
Old 05-23-2024, 11:38 AM
Dj_or_dj
Burning Brakes

How would this setup compare to a traditional 600whp hci N/A setup?

Am I to understand that changing heads and cam will cause the car to fail emissions? I definitely haven’t heard that from the local tuners. Mostly just concern that emissions testers are being forced to start taking pictures of the stock cats and submitting them to the authorities (EPA?)
Yes and no,

Carb compliance is carb compliant Heads No.

anything that has a carb # will not cause the car to fail emissions. Our cars are not emissions tested. Its obd-ii tested.

BUT…. having a Tune will cause a yes flag.

Now again A&A is the only carb compliant company that offers a tune that will not fail.

As long as you have a CARB O.E. # you are good.

so if you can find a carb legal / compliant cam intake and headers … you are good

CAM possibly.
Headers Yes.

Old 05-23-2024, 08:40 PM
BuckeyeRay
Racer

Received 157 Likes on 107 Posts

For anyone not from the Kooky People's Republik of Kalifornia, CARB is California Air Resources Board and has zero authority outside the state.
The following 2 users liked this post by BuckeyeRay:
97Black (05-26-2024), NotreOkc (05-24-2024)
Old 05-23-2024, 10:43 PM
Dj_or_dj
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BuckeyeRay
For anyone not from the Kooky People's Republik of Kalifornia, CARB is California Air Resources Board and has zero authority outside the state.

you are right … but if the parts are stringent enough for California’s laws …

The air research board works nearly hand in hand with the EPA and EPA is federal.

so those numbers mean something.
Old 05-24-2024, 11:36 AM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 765 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckeyeRay
True, they have zero authority elsewhere...
But other states and the EPA do use CARB acceptance as a standard for emissions legality.
Thought I left the DPRK behind, but its presence is felt far and wide.
Old 05-24-2024, 05:06 PM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,326 Likes on 897 Posts

The stock Z06 manifold flow very well. I would only upgrade to a long tube header if you were going for big power.

If you were to get headers, I would stay away from ARH. Too many fitment issues. Kooks with the green cats would be the way to go.
The following users liked this post:
Z.06 (05-27-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 11:18 PM
Z.06
Burning Brakes

Received 135 Likes on 105 Posts

For me, I am not interested in big power bragging rites, so my answer has been to keep the stock exhaust manifolds with a muffler mod (done correctly), mild camshaft, and ported OEM intake manifold. All of this has been aimed at keeping a broad torque curve. Heads are fully fixed but w/o aftermarket porting which may diminish midrange torque. My short block was built by LME in Houston with Callies Compstar forged steel crankshaft and rods and Wiseco forged pistons. Camshaft is Cammotion Titan 1. Main use of the car is to and from the track, and on the track for HPDE events.

Get notified of new replies

To Headers or No Headers?

Quick Reply: Headers or No Headers?