Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] AutoWeek Z06 News...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 10:14 PM

Default AutoWeek Z06 News...

Is this old news? On the AutoWeek website today.

"Only the coupe will debut in Detroit. The convertible will be shown later in the year, and the Z06 will be a 2006 model-year item. Hill said it will differ more from the C6 on which it is based than today’s Z06 is from the C5, and talk of 500 hp is widespread. Thanks to the existence of the Cadillac XLR for the luxury touring car crowd, Corvette engineers will be free to concentrate on the performance side of the equation. It’s looking like an exciting time for Corvette fans."
Old 01-06-2004, 02:45 PM
LittleBoyBlu99
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: AutoWeek Z06 News... (MMI)

:cool: :cheers:
Old 02-01-2004, 12:24 PM
RWTD
Burning Brakes

Is this old news? On the AutoWeek website today.

"Only the coupe will debut in Detroit. The convertible will be shown later in the year, and the Z06 will be a 2006 model-year item. Hill said it will differ more from the C6 on which it is based than today’s Z06 is from the C5, and talk of 500 hp is widespread. Thanks to the existence of the Cadillac XLR for the luxury touring car crowd, Corvette engineers will be free to concentrate on the performance side of the equation. It’s looking like an exciting time for Corvette fans."
This should be fun on the wait! There will even be a decent challenger to the '06 Z06 in 2006 in the form of the '06 Cobra. Ford's SVT department claims they are going "high-end" with the '06 Cobra, yet still keep it affordable. Guaranteed minimum of 500 rwhp for the Cobra (as is for the next generation Lightning) are also floating around the rumor mill. Ford will need to find some weight savings to keep up with the power/weight ratio of the Z06, but then again the Cobra will have the infamous ole trusty Roots blower, possibly Twin Screw by then, to make up for it with a buttload of torque at any rpm. The battle of the Z06 Vette and the S/C Cobra will continue to be quite interesting and extremely fun! Thank the good Lord that we have two companies like Ford and GM to keep us enthusiasts happy, and to give us something to brag about.

[Modified by RWTD, 11:25 AM 2/1/2004]
Old 02-03-2004, 02:49 PM
RichieRich
Melting Slicks

Received 128 Likes on 61 Posts

Default Re: AutoWeek Z06 News... (RWTD)

This should be fun on the wait! There will even be a decent challenger to the '06 Z06 in 2006 in the form of the '06 Cobra. Ford's SVT department claims they are going "high-end" with the '06 Cobra, yet still keep it affordable. Guaranteed minimum of 500 rwhp for the Cobra (as is for the next generation Lightning) are also floating around the rumor mill.
So is it guaranteed or in the rumor mill?

I have a hard time believing Ford will make a Mustang for ~$50K with as much power as the GT. Why? It's hard to sell a lot of $50K Mustangs (just ask Saleen and Roush) when it looks like and has the build quality of a $20K car AND it would kill the GT if a Mustang had just as much power for a third less, regardless of how much better the GT is as an overall package.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:02 PM
Z06 Mike
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: AutoWeek Z06 News... (RichieRich)

RE: Guaranteed minimum of 500 rwhp for the Cobra (as is for the next generation Lightning)

I think that is flywheel horsepower.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:38 PM
RWTD
Burning Brakes

Default Re: AutoWeek Z06 News... (OCMike)

RE: Guaranteed minimum of 500 rwhp for the Cobra (as is for the next generation Lightning)

YIKES! My bad, you're right. Hell, just a pulley swap and some tuning and it'll put out well over that, tho, hehe.

Anyhoo, it's pretty much considered "not" a rumor. Since Dodge just set a new world speed record in the truck department (please see here: http://www.modularfords.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=9158 ), you can nearly guarantee yourself that they will have at least the 500 rwhp of the concept Lightning truck displayed last year at all the major auto shows.

I do not see an issue with a 500 hp '03 Cobra in terms of marketplace with other Fords. It's already extremely easy to obtain this hp, even rwhp, from an '03/'04 Cobra with some minor exhaust, boost upgrades, and tuning. The SVT General Manager already said the new '06 Cobra is going to be worthy of competing with M series BMW's in terms of exclusivity, overall performance, and becoming more of a "real world car", all while remaining very affordable. The Ford GT will not be around forever, and it'll only be bought by those who can afford Ferraris and Lambos (multiple dealers are already selling them for $200k+; dayum, what a markup!).

Read this thread here:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/t165110.html

It states:

Here's a quote from Bob himself:

Q:You did the Viper during your stint at Chrysler, and now Neil Hannemann, who led the Viper team, is doing the GT at Ford. Does GM need a Viper/GT class vehicle, or is the Corvette strong enough to handle that role?

A:Let me tell you that the Corvette C6 will have versions where we confidently predict it will suck the doors off of both the cars that you just named. The current Z06, with 400 horsepower, on the Gingerman Raceway, laps faster with its 400 horsepower than the new Viper does with 500. So other than just brutal straightline acceleration, the Z06 is faster today. Clearly the C6 Corvette, without giving anything away, is going to be a major step forward in vehicle mass, dimensions, handling, braking and, most important of all, power-to-weight ratio. So I think whatever gap exists now is going to be eliminated — in total performance. I think we'll match the competition in acceleration, and we will beat them in on-road handling. And if the Z06 version of the C6 is not enough to do it, we've got a few tricks up our sleeve, which we're already investigating. But it will always be Corvette-based.

I really don't think we will ever see 700+hp out of any of the cars mention so far that's from the factory. The new Viper will have around 600hp though, and the Viper and GT already has VERY close performance numbers. But 700hp, and certain people will try to stop that from happening if you know what I mean.

GM HAS to up the C6 and Z06 anyways because Ford is looking to bump up the SVT Cobra to around 550hp or they are rumored to anyways. And even the Mustang GT is to have around 300-350hp.
This post is in no way meant to demean the Vette (I still get a woody seeing a clean C5 drive by). I think competition is only better for us all, and the great thing is that we can all still have the infamous Ford vs. GM battles even with the new cars on the market!

Regards...

[Modified by RWTD, 10:52 PM 2/3/2004]
Old 02-14-2004, 06:57 AM
Weasel
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

Just a note to say that Ford has said in public, (Detroit Free Press), that they will try to keep it under $100k. C6 will be under $45k. Z06..a small amount more.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:54 AM
LittleBoyBlu99
Le Mans Master

Default Re: AutoWeek Z06 News... (OCMike)

:yesnod: :yesnod: :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To AutoWeek Z06 News...

Quick Reply: [Z06] AutoWeek Z06 News...