Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Dealer damages my zr1

Old 11-05-2010, 11:23 AM
c369
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dealer damages my zr1

I HAVE TO VENT A LITTLE!!!

This morning I am dropping off my 2010 ZR1 for its first service. The porter is driving my car through the garage area and decides to run over the adjustable arm of the two post lift with my splitter. I witness the entire thing and so did the service manager who is writing up my service order. He looks at me, I look at him and no words are exchanged but we both know what the other is thinking.

The dealer is very reputable and has offered, of course, to repair what ever damages there are. As far as I can tell the splitter is the only part damaged. I have requested to be there when the car is in the air so I can inspect the damage myself with their body shop manager.

My question is - Does anyone know if there is a date code on the splitter?
Old 11-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Xwet
Racer

I believe you kept your composure very well. If it was me I would be in jail.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:22 PM
jamesg89
Instructor

Originally Posted by Xwet
I agree i woulda been furious to say the least, and my car costs like 100k less! Id follow your plans and be there for the inspection and all. This proves my point why i hate for anyone to get behind the wheels of my car. People do stupid things and dont even think. I worked at a local tire store for 2 years and seriously we would be fired for something like that if it even happened to a beetle. Lots of cars dont clear those lifts thats why you have someone check while your pulling on.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Dark Overlord
Burning Brakes

In Jail over a friggin Air Splitter? Sh*t happens, its not like the dealer said, we are not going to fix it, & take a hike bub....... geeze.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:25 PM
c369
Instructor

I went to the inspection and found a bar code sticker with a green acceptance sticker attached on top of it with hand written initials. Adjacent to that there is something written in green highlighter. Towards the middle there is two tiny white labels with numbers and two white donut looking stickers. It looks like the damage is just isolated to the splitter at this time.

I called a meeting between the body shop manager, service manager and parts manager. We looked at the labels and front end together and they are ordering a new "replacement" splitter. The parts manager stated that those labels would most likely not be on the new splitter. "What a shock" "What a mess" - lol.

My biggest obstacle here is going to be stressing the importance to the dealer that the date codes/labels on the new splitter need to match the existing splitter. If that can not be accomplished than I would be ok with a used splitter with the same date codes. What's the chances of finding a used splitter with the same labels- lol. Any leads would be appreciated.

There will be many opinions about my thought process, however, it is my car, I did not damage it and it needs to be returned to the condition it was prior to the accident. If I damaged the car than put a replacement splitter on and away I go but that is not the case.

To be continued...
Old 11-05-2010, 02:26 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by c369
He looks at me, I look at him and no words are exchanged but we both know what the other is thinking.

Love when this happens. If that Service Mgr is worth his hourly rate there need be no words exchanged. He knows what needs to be done.

Props to you for being a mature adult and dealing with it as you did. My guess is your car will have a note on the account to be babied and the mgr himself will probably be the only one driving it.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:28 PM
690 HP V
Burning Brakes

It was made unboltable (if that's a word) for a reason. It's a CAR. No need to kill over a piece of CF.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:33 PM
MCSSLT1
Burning Brakes

Out of all the pieces that could be damaged I think that is the best one. As others have said it bolts on. If you bought the car from them, they put it on. They can take it off and put a new one on.

Sounds like they're taking care of it and accommodating your request to look underneath as well.

It sucks but i would take a front splitter over a wiped out door, mirror, or fender any day.

A lot of people say they would flip out, beat someone up, or go to jail but when it happens to them they just deal with it because that's all they can do. Any reason person would realize its not worth going to jail over.

Unfortunately I have had one of my cars damaged at my fathers work. I wasn't happy sure, but we fixed it. In my case it was right in the rear 1/4 of my SS which ties right into the roof and C pillar which was a pain. Its not like the corvettes where they are all separate panels.

Last edited by MCSSLT1; 11-05-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:37 PM
32DUECE
Instructor

My dealer has one guy that does corvettes. No one can even move them but him for this very reason. I would be mad but if they are going to fix it then no harm done. I would hope your first oil change is free...
Old 11-05-2010, 03:44 PM
BryanB75
Racer

Just another reason I do all of my own maintenance. I can understand you wanting to have all service records for any maintenance but I trust nobody
Old 11-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by 32DUECE
My dealer has one guy that does corvettes. No one can even move them but him for this very reason. I would be mad but if they are going to fix it then no harm done. I would hope your first oil change is free...
Same with my dealer I take my car for service. One guy they let move and service the z06s and zr1s.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:47 PM
Bluewasp
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

Why do you need the labels? NCRS years down the road? The fact that splitter is bolted to the front of the car and almost on the ground. I think a future buyer would understand if it needed to be replaced.

I would try using a heat gun to remove them from the old splitter or just keep it incase it's needed down the road...

Just wondering..
Old 11-05-2010, 07:24 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by c369
I went to the inspection and found a bar code sticker with a green acceptance sticker attached on top of it with hand written initials. Adjacent to that there is something written in green highlighter. Towards the middle there is two tiny white labels with numbers and two white donut looking stickers. It looks like the damage is just isolated to the splitter at this time.

I called a meeting between the body shop manager, service manager and parts manager. We looked at the labels and front end together and they are ordering a new "replacement" splitter. The parts manager stated that those labels would most likely not be on the new splitter. "What a shock" "What a mess" - lol.

My biggest obstacle here is going to be stressing the importance to the dealer that the date codes/labels on the new splitter need to match the existing splitter. If that can not be accomplished than I would be ok with a used splitter with the same date codes. What's the chances of finding a used splitter with the same labels- lol. Any leads would be appreciated.

There will be many opinions about my thought process, however, it is my car, I did not damage it and it needs to be returned to the condition it was prior to the accident. If I damaged the car than put a replacement splitter on and away I go but that is not the case.

To be continued...
For what it's worth, those labels that you see are not from GM. They are used as a quality inspection sticker from the manufacturer of the carbon fiber parts. From what I've seen, GM does not have any label on the splitters and the highlighted labels are from Plasan Composites. There are no documents that I know of to link the splitter to your car so I would not lose much sleep over the replacement part being a replacement. The carbon fiber parts are shipped in the back of the car and do not corespond to any particular ZR1 when they leave.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:59 PM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL. A valet did 3K in damages to my Z06 a while back and then another damn near totalled my friends car last week.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:59 AM
c369
Instructor

Thanks for all of your feedback. It is sad and comforting to know there are other ZR1 owners out there that have experienced my situation.

The first scratch is always the toughest!!!!!!
Old 11-06-2010, 11:19 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

It is impossible to drive the ZR1 and not scrape up the front spoiler. In fact, the Z was my first vette, so I was not real tuned in to the depth of the front end. With 500 miles on this monster (all from the trip home from LA) entering a motel parking lot, I ran the splitter up against one of those concrete parking bumpers - made a crack in the CF at mid point and is hardly noticable, unless you happen to own it. I haven't replaced it because I know it's going to happen again.

The boss-lady's red coupe constantly demonstrates to me that you can't drive these cars for errands (in and out of parking lots) without scraping the air dam - the Z and it's spoiler is much worse. There are times when I have to back out of a parking lot entrance - give new meaning to the term PIA. I try to not use the Z for shopping, but with the club fun runs, you just can't tell where you're going to be.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The splitter is more or less an expensive consumable item. I've already budgeted $600 for a Katech replacement when the time comes. Unless you are planning on keeping this car for 30-40 years, then I don't think matching numbers on things makes any difference.

I know everyone enjoys Corvettes differently, but you won't enjoy it much if you sweat every scratch, pebble ding and driveway scrape.

I just drive mine and I'll replace parts if I scratch them too badly or break them.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer damages my zr1

Old 11-07-2010, 09:07 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by MCSSLT1
Out of all the pieces that could be damaged I think that is the best one. As others have said it bolts on. If you bought the car from them, they put it on. They can take it off and put a new one on...................................... ...

It sucks but i would take a front splitter over a wiped out door, mirror, or fender any day................
Old 11-07-2010, 10:10 AM
c369
Instructor

I have logged 4,200 miles on the ZR1 since April of this year. Every mile is worth a smile -lol, especially watching my passengers either white knuckled to the door handle (my wife) or smiling bigger than me. I drive it every chance I get, to the store, kids sporting events or just around the block.

The best "clean" quote came from my son's 11 year friend when I asked him if he wanted to go for a ride - he sat in the passenger seat, I started the car with the exhaust commander open, he looked at me and said "this is sick". My 15 year is close to getting his drivers license and has been begging me to let him take it to his high school Prom next year. Ya right - when hell freezes over!!!!!

Looking back - it seems that half of the miles put on my car has been giving friends and family rides around town.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:23 AM
besz28
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not if i was the guy who did it, i guarantee that

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [ZR1] Dealer damages my zr1