Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Lightning Lap No 4 at VIR

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 09:35 AM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lightning Lap No 4 at VIR

ZR1 has fastest lap times in this year's test. 3rd fastest in history of tests over the past 4 events. Beaten only by Mosler MT900S and Viper ACR from 2008 event, both of which "are much more in their element on a track than on a street". Among the cars beaten are Ferrari 430, Nissan GT-R, Lamborghini LP670-4SV, Audi R8 5.2, Lotus Exige, Porsche (both 911 Carrera S and Cayman), Shelby GT500, etc. Grand Sport placed 5th in this year's event. All from Car and Driver Feb 2010.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:04 PM
Andrew M
Instructor

So let me get this straight, just because an ACR beat the ZR1 that makes it a track car? By your analogy then a ZR1 is a track car also because it beat all those other cars...

An ACR is NOT a track car it is in fact a totally comfy streat car which has all the amenities needed, you know like AC, power steering, stereo, power everything, etc, etc... What it does have over the zr1 though is tires, and aero, which just happens to be above what a zr1 has.

Now if you want to compare lap times to a track viper, there is always a comp coup or an ACR X but I doubt you will be very happy with those comparisons.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:09 PM
Blow N By
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Andrew M
So let me get this straight, just because an ACR beat the ZR1 that makes it a track car? By your analogy then a ZR1 is a track car also because it beat all those other cars...

An ACR is NOT a track car it is in fact a totally comfy streat car which has all the amenities needed, you know like AC, power steering, stereo, power everything, etc, etc... What it does have over the zr1 though is tires, and aero, which just happens to be above what a zr1 has.

Now if you want to compare lap times to a track viper, there is always a comp coup or an ACR X but I doubt you will be very happy with those comparisons.
That's not what he said. "streat" is spelled street by the way...
Old 12-25-2009, 06:46 PM
jmc5
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

An ACR is NOT a track car it is in fact a totally comfy streat car
I call BS.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:08 PM
RBK
Melting Slicks

Received 889 Likes on 408 Posts

A "street car" is not a trolly. A race car cannot be driven on the street. Are we ok so far or will you suggest that any car allowed iinto a class on a race track becomes a "race car? Soooo, all the cars mentioned can be "driven" on the street, therefore they are street cars. Any confusion yet. This includes such cars as a Z06, ZR1, GT3, Viper, Ferrari, Audi, and a host of others.

A "race car" CANNOT be driven on the "street".

Maybe the problem here is we like to think we own a race car when we really own a street car or the fact that showroom stock classes, characterized by cars with safety equipment can also be driven on the street with or without (just) safety equipment. However, make any other modifications such as exhaust or bumpers, lights, etc., and the car is no longer legal for street use.

I drive a SCCA T-1 "race car". Why is it a race car? Because it has been "modified" and is "illegal" for street use. Now, if the car was not modified and could be driven on the street, what should we call it? Best
Old 12-25-2009, 08:45 PM
rico750sxi
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 137 Posts

Yeah, I think a statement like" much more in their element on the track" is an accurate way to describe the ACR and Mossler. I do not see a big issue with it.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:52 PM
redknight
Racer

I don't see any analogy in the original post or anything about the ACR being a track car because it is faster. Its more at home on a track because the tires are not recommended for street use, the splitter is not street legal, and the ride is harsher, etc. The hardcore package deletes the audio system (you mentioned stereo as a needed amenity), underhood silencer pad, trunk carpet and tire inflator. Hmm, non-runflat tires, no spare and no tire inflator, sounds like a perfect street car.

Just to be clear, none of these things would prevent me from driving one on the street but the acr is far from "a perfectly comfy street car" in the same sense that a Z06, ZR1, 911 Turbo or GT-R is.

What was the ZR1's time?
Old 12-25-2009, 09:27 PM
Kyle Lemish
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Could someone post a link to the article? Id love to read it!
Old 12-25-2009, 11:20 PM
Howydo
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 90 Posts

I think the most significant difference between these two cars is the tires. I know the on going argument of comparing stock to stock but we are only talking about tires. Mant other car conpanys give multiple tire options when buying a high performance car. Everyone talks about how the ZR1 will never beat the ACR on the track. I say if you simply change out the run flats and nothing else the corvette will equal and possibly beat the viper PERIOD!!!
Old 12-25-2009, 11:38 PM
Andrew M
Instructor

Originally Posted by Howydo
I think the most significant difference between these two cars is the tires. I know the on going argument of comparing stock to stock but we are only talking about tires. Mant other car conpanys give multiple tire options when buying a high performance car. Everyone talks about how the ZR1 will never beat the ACR on the track. I say if you simply change out the run flats and nothing else the corvette will equal and possibly beat the viper PERIOD!!!
I totally agree a ZR1 with good tires, and an Aero package like the ACR will certainly be faster than the ACR is right now. It has more power, and a better torque curve stock for stock.

What gets me is that people on here are constantly trying to find ways to take away the fact that the viper is just faster around a track by a good margin. Not because its a race car but because it was made to be, just like the ZR1 was made to beat a normal Viper on the street.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:26 AM
redknight
Racer

I totally agree a ZR1 with good tires, and an Aero package like the ACR will certainly be faster than the ACR is right now. It has more power, and a better torque curve stock for stock.

What gets me is that people on here are constantly trying to find ways to take away the fact that the viper is just faster around a track by a good margin. Not because its a race car but because it was made to be, just like the ZR1 was made to beat a normal Viper on the street.
There is not a "one size fits all" tire. If I'm going to drive a car in the summer I want PS2s, in the winter I want all seasons or snows(not that I would drive a zr1 in such conditions), at the strip drag radials, and at the track R compounds. The ACR's tires make it a worse street car in the same way the ZR1's tires compromise some track performance. No one is trying to detract from the viper's track prowess but if lap times are that important to someone it is reasonable that they would run the appropriate tire for the situation.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:13 AM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 6 Posts

So they didn't test the updated 2010 Viper ACR? You do know it has several improvements and is a 'good bit' faster than the previous model. Matter of fact, the new model bested the 2008 model by nearly 1.5 seconds at Laguna Seca. Therefore, a guestimate would be at least 3 seconds faster at VIR Lightning Lap. That would put it ahead of the Mosler at a lap time of 2:45.6. I'm disappointed they didn't test it, especially same day/same driver against the ZR1. It would have been interesting to see how large the gap would have been. Now we can only speculate.

So what was the ZR1's time?
Old 12-26-2009, 09:22 AM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Default Times

ZR1 Lap time was 2:51.8, (the GS lap time was 2:58.8,) Viper was 2.48.6, Mosler was 2.45.9.

The quotation was from the article. Here's another one "the Corvette combines startling pace around VIR with lots of luggage space, plus a tractable engine, good visibility and a supple ride."
Old 12-26-2009, 09:36 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I love these comparo's more than anybody, but unless the cars are on equal rubber, you're comparing tire compounds as much (if not more) than the cars themselves. I've you've been around a track for any amount of time, you'll know there is no one single more important piece of hardware for lap times than the tires. You can figure a 5 second spread on the same car/track (typical 2 miler) just amount R compounds, this spreads gets even bigger when you throw in street tires.

This kind of becomes moot for the ZR1 though, as the tire sizes to fit over those 15" rotors put it outside the realm of having any R comps in it's proper size.

Both cars are hugely fast, probably very very close on the same compound tire.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:45 AM
MyBeaches
Pro

Totally comfy street car is the last thing anyone will describe the ACR. It will shatter your spine over any bump and the road noise is extremely high. Its a GREAT car, but comfy it is not.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:25 AM
Kyle Lemish
Drifting

They even admit it on the viper forums:

ZR1= great everyday car
ACR= weekend warrior/track
Old 12-26-2009, 01:18 PM
redknight
Racer

Originally Posted by Onerareviper
So they didn't test the updated 2010 Viper ACR? You do know it has several improvements and is a 'good bit' faster than the previous model. Matter of fact, the new model bested the 2008 model by nearly 1.5 seconds at Laguna Seca. Therefore, a guestimate would be at least 3 seconds faster at VIR Lightning Lap. That would put it ahead of the Mosler at a lap time of 2:45.6. I'm disappointed they didn't test it, especially same day/same driver against the ZR1. It would have been interesting to see how large the gap would have been. Now we can only speculate.

So what was the ZR1's time?
1.2 seconds on a different day/driver at Leguna is hardly proof that it is a good bit faster. The changes for 2010 are pretty minimal. Car and Driver also said they did not get to really ring out the Mosler.

Get notified of new replies

To Lightning Lap No 4 at VIR

Old 12-26-2009, 01:23 PM
HC Mechanic
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

The ZR1 sounds like a Beast! The Dodge V-10....

It comes down to tires, conditions, and driver at that level. Look at the SV670, that should be way up there!

The ZR1's as fast of a car there is stock. If you want to go faster, go to a high end driving school, at a track like Road Atlanta
Old 12-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Andrew M
Instructor

Originally Posted by drivinhard
I love these comparo's more than anybody, but unless the cars are on equal rubber, you're comparing tire compounds as much (if not more) than the cars themselves. I've you've been around a track for any amount of time, you'll know there is no one single more important piece of hardware for lap times than the tires. You can figure a 5 second spread on the same car/track (typical 2 miler) just amount R compounds, this spreads gets even bigger when you throw in street tires.

This kind of becomes moot for the ZR1 though, as the tire sizes to fit over those 15" rotors put it outside the realm of having any R comps in it's proper size.

Both cars are hugely fast, probably very very close on the same compound tire.
Problem with your theory about tires is that at what point do you stop bringing the other car up to par?

If you give the ZR1 good tires, why not give the ACR better brakes like the ZR1? Or perhaps a super charger like the ZR1, or maybe electornic gizmos like the ZR1 which will make magazine drivers do much better in the car. The only fair comparison is the way the car came from the show room floor.

Oh and the people on here saying R compound tires are not for the street, how wrong you are. Almost everyone I know now drives around on R compound tires on the street, even to work. The only difference is that you need to change them every 8k miles or so nothing more nothing less.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:13 PM
Kyle Lemish
Drifting

Problem with your theory about tires is that at what point do you stop bringing the other car up to par?

If you give the ZR1 good tires, why not give the ACR better brakes like the ZR1? Or perhaps a super charger like the ZR1, or maybe electornic gizmos like the ZR1 which will make magazine drivers do much better in the car. The only fair comparison is the way the car came from the show room floor.

Oh and the people on here saying R compound tires are not for the street, how wrong you are. Almost everyone I know now drives around on R compound tires on the street, even to work. The only difference is that you need to change them every 8k miles or so nothing more nothing less.
8k miles out of R compounds? Really? lets be realistic here! 4-5 k if your lucky! and drive like grandpa!

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Lightning Lap No 4 at VIR