Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Why no automatic for ZR1?

Old 03-04-2011, 04:04 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Callaway Corvette Grand Sport has over 600 HP and a automatic.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:41 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
Yes, but that powertrain does not have the 100k mile warranty and that's for obvious reasons.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:01 PM
HarryWild
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting fors and against. I think in the next year or two; one way or another GM will get a dual clutch transmission for all their manual cars now. The competition is doing it now; they certain want more buyers of their cars and that is the reasoning behind the DCT.

I may buy a ZR1 if it has either a DCT or an Automatic. I drive mostly everywhere and there is stop and go traffic on the highways now at regular hours.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:30 PM
MawneeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Why no 4 cylinder for the Zr1?
Old 03-04-2011, 10:23 PM
ZR180
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No ZR1 Auto

The ZR1 is a high performance car. If you want an automatic - buy an Oldsmobile. Lincoln Towncars have automatics too. ZR180
Old 03-04-2011, 11:15 PM
COVERT GUY
Pro

Automakers are turning to the "flappy-paddle" gear boxes due to their cars making increased power and being more difficult for their fat, lazy, and talentless owners to control.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:45 PM
jason427
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 355Spider
Too much power for the A6 and they suck ***** for performance cars,
I don't agree AT ALL with that statement. Road course maybe... but still the tranny in my GTR was heads and tails better than ANY other of the 40+ cars I have owned. And the new PDK in the Turbo is awesome as well. If Chevy came out with a decent tranny like those I would buy it in a heartbeat in a ZR1

Jason
Old 03-04-2011, 11:53 PM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Fish heads are probably happier with GTR's, agreed. Okay, I'm just kidding, but about this I'm serious as a heart attack...the ZR1 is way more fun to drive than the GTR, and I do like the GTR!
Old 03-05-2011, 01:27 AM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Yes, but that powertrain does not have the 100k mile warranty and that's for obvious reasons.

Actually...

Callaway does make available, our 5 yr / 100,000 mile Powertrain Warranty on our cars. See your dealer for details

Last edited by Callaway Chris; 03-05-2011 at 01:29 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:29 AM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
Thanks for the mention

www.callawaycars.com
Old 03-05-2011, 01:30 AM
gunterwalker
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
It's not cost effective for them to bother. The transmission in the V won't fit in the rear end of the Corvette without... work. And that work costs money. And they won't sell enough cars to make it worth their effort.

So essentially the answer stays: they don't have an automatic that'll work with the ZR1's (or the Z06's) torque output. Trust me, they'd do it if it were cost effective.

jas

We have a winner. I hate to say it but a true dual clutch trans is better than a regular manual in almost every way when it come to racing. Isn't that what the ZR1 is for. Didn't Chevy just introduce the dual clutch trans with their racing team? Its not hard to turn that into an auto. That being said in a Corvette I still want a M6. If I had a Ferrari 599 then I want paddles.

Last edited by gunterwalker; 03-05-2011 at 01:43 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:00 AM
RBK
Melting Slicks

Received 889 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by racerns
The CTS-V has an auto and while it does not have quite the same power it is a good 800lb heavier which puts alot of stress on a tranny. I am sure GM could make one live in a ZR1 if the wanted. I am not saying that they should, just that they could.
A good point. I own a Ferrari 430 (F-1 transmission) which is better than a third pedal unless, of course, you like third pedals. I own a CTS-V with added horsepower (Lingenfelter) and moving back and forth from automatic (in the city and when stuck in traffic) to manual (driving on the freeways and long distances when wanting to "play" or pass cars), is nice to have. I have no problem driving a third pedal car but it does get old when stuck in traffic for long periods of time.As far as speed goes, most here have never driven their cars 7/10th of their capability and although I accuse no one of seeking "status" (the Ferrari, McLaren, Lamborgini , etc. guys would laugh), I am sure many take "pride" in their ownership and if paid for everytime they tell someone "I own a ZR1" , would not be looking for overtime pay.

Last edited by RBK; 03-05-2011 at 07:03 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:32 AM
jamie furman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vette6799
Yeah, those stupid flappy paddles should be replaced with a cluch and a manual tranny on F1. For maximum racing performance, you do NOT want a manual transmission nor do you want what GM has available currently. Give me what Porsche and Ferrari have, flappy paddles and all.
If they started offering a dual clutch like the GTR or the Porsche in a ZR1 they would outsell 6 speeds 4 to 1 IMO.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:01 AM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jamie furman
If they started offering a dual clutch like the GTR or the Porsche in a ZR1 they would outsell 6 speeds 4 to 1 IMO.
IMO, you'd be right because 75% of that crowd has never owned, learned or know how to drive with a stick, and the number would be growing.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:38 AM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RBK
Ferrari 430 (F-1 transmission)
Now that's how a "flappy paddle" car should shift and sound.

Even so, I don't think I'd be drawn to a ZR1 with the same trans as the F430. For me there is just something "American" about rowing the gears with a small-block V8 in front of me and massive rear tires behind me going up in smoke. Call me crazy if you must!

Any other car outside of the vette I wouldn't mind a very nice paddle shifting trans. My sights are set on the F430 just for that reason.

Not in my vette though!
Old 03-05-2011, 10:57 AM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

I'd take paddles in a F430 as well but the topic started by the op is, Why no Automatic?

You can howl to the moon about the PDQ, DCT, the fact is they are 'manumatics' not automatics. They eliminate the 3rd pedal (which is unfortunate). Alonso gets to keep his, why not me? Manumatics are very notchy and tiresome to live with in the automatic mode, and actually somewhat of a pain in the manual mode in a daily driving sense, because you don't have control over neutral, still have a torque converter.

Although panned because upshifts take 10-20 ms longer than a DCT, the sequential gear box in the LFA or the 8-spd in the IS-F are much smoother in the fully automatic mode than any of the dual clutch transmissions, also weigh less, probably more reliable and less complex.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:48 AM
CPG1962
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10
Default I respectfully disagree

I have a 997 911 TT with a tiptronic tranny and it's a blast. I am pushing 800 BHP and ~688 WHP with approx. 650 FT# tq. It is a blast to drive on the track or street and is quicker than another automatic in the PDK tranny or (I believe) the GTR. I think you will see more and more auto's but with that the price will definetely go up. US made automatics with flip shifting are horrendous. All one need do is drive a PDK versus a CTSV (using their flip switch) and the difference is embarrasing to US engineering. The PDK, as we all know, runs 0-60 in well under 3.0 seconds and with companies like Champion Motorsports they are developing a PDK that will handle the 800-900 whp you can attain out of a built manual GT2. There is a time and place for each (manual versus flip shifting) but rest assured dual clutch flip is the wave of the future. The new McLaren which ran an even 7.0 min around the ring is a flip drive. The list goes on and it WILL only grow.

On the other side there is a long way to go before you will see flip drives in the 1000 WHP range but it will happen in less than 5 years.

Go to the championmotorsport.com to see just a spattering of what the future holds. Keep in mind not alot of what is going on behind the scenes are public knowledge.

Last edited by CPG1962; 03-05-2011 at 12:06 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Why no automatic for ZR1?

Old 03-05-2011, 12:38 PM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CPG1962
I have a 997 911 TT with a tiptronic tranny and it's a blast. I am pushing 800 BHP and ~688 WHP with approx. 650 FT# tq. It is a blast to drive on the track or street and is quicker than another automatic in the PDK tranny or (I believe) the GTR. I think you will see more and more auto's but with that the price will definetely go up. US made automatics with flip shifting are horrendous. All one need do is drive a PDK versus a CTSV (using their flip switch) and the difference is embarrasing to US engineering. The PDK, as we all know, runs 0-60 in well under 3.0 seconds and with companies like Champion Motorsports they are developing a PDK that will handle the 800-900 whp you can attain out of a built manual GT2. There is a time and place for each (manual versus flip shifting) but rest assured dual clutch flip is the wave of the future. The new McLaren which ran an even 7.0 min around the ring is a flip drive. The list goes on and it WILL only grow.

On the other side there is a long way to go before you will see flip drives in the 1000 WHP range but it will happen in less than 5 years.

Go to the championmotorsport.com to see just a spattering of what the future holds. Keep in mind not alot of what is going on behind the scenes are public knowledge.
That's all very great. Are you giving PDQ credit for all of that? I would have thought that AWD, rear weight bias and 800 hp would have been responsible for some of those gains.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:22 PM
CH C5
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an SL65 and would trade it in with a ZR1 today if the Vette had a DCT.
I am sure there are a good number of potential customers GM bypasses because the do not offer a modern option in transmissions.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:53 PM
gunterwalker
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CH C5
I have an SL65 and would trade it in with a ZR1 today if the Vette had a DCT.
I am sure there are a good number of potential customers GM bypasses because the do not offer a modern option in transmissions.
I love the SL65. We have a 09 SL550. Wish we had the SL65. Its amazing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [ZR1] Why no automatic for ZR1?