Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Went drag racing for the first time tonight

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 06:05 AM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Went drag racing for the first time tonight

Not pleased at all. Let me start by saying I came from 2 Z06s that I raced a lot. I would run 11,2@127 most of the time. So I can row the gears alright.
Tonight I drove to the track and went right at it. No cool down time from driving an hour and man did it show. This car has some serious heat soak issues. I ran 11.7@123 the first time out at about 205 coolant temp. I normally ran my Zs at 150 degrees because they would start losing power after that. So I ran again at 210 coolant temp and was even slower 11.9@120. Needless to say I was pissed. My first run ever in my Z06 was 11.7@126. So I let it sit 10 minutes hood open and ran 11.7@125. Better. I was at about 180 coolant. I give it another 30 minutes hood open and ran 11.5@127. This car pulls timing bigtime as the air intake temps go up. My tuner friend was there and he was saying that's what it's doing. My last run of the night was 11.4@127 w/170 coolant. I didnt have enough time before it started raining to get them down to 150 degrees. I bet it would have run 128-130.
One other thing to watch out for if you go racing is using the launch control on a prepped track seems to induce wheel hop bad. It did for me both times I tried it. The track crew saw a guy last week wheel hop a brand new Zr1 3 seperate times with launch control on and blow the rear end on the 3rd pass. Car still had paper plates on it. They said they have had many near new Vettes do the same thing lately.
Oh well i'll hit the track again and do it right. Air wasnt too good either. 65 degrees with moderate humidity.
Anyone else run as slow as me out of the box?
Old 03-05-2011, 08:34 AM
mpizz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 355Spider
Not pleased at all. Let me start by saying I came from 2 Z06s that I raced a lot. I would run 11,2@127 most of the time. So I can row the gears alright.
Tonight I drove to the track and went right at it. No cool down time from driving an hour and man did it show. This car has some serious heat soak issues. I ran 11.7@123 the first time out at about 205 coolant temp. I normally ran my Zs at 150 degrees because they would start losing power after that. So I ran again at 210 coolant temp and was even slower 11.9@120. Needless to say I was pissed. My first run ever in my Z06 was 11.7@126. So I let it sit 10 minutes hood open and ran 11.7@125. Better. I was at about 180 coolant. I give it another 30 minutes hood open and ran 11.5@127. This car pulls timing bigtime as the air intake temps go up. My tuner friend was there and he was saying that's what it's doing. My last run of the night was 11.4@127 w/170 coolant. I didnt have enough time before it started raining to get them down to 150 degrees. I bet it would have run 128-130.
One other thing to watch out for if you go racing is using the launch control on a prepped track seems to induce wheel hop bad. It did for me both times I tried it. The track crew saw a guy last week wheel hop a brand new Zr1 3 seperate times with launch control on and blow the rear end on the 3rd pass. Car still had paper plates on it. They said they have had many near new Vettes do the same thing lately.
Oh well i'll hit the track again and do it right. Air wasnt too good either. 65 degrees with moderate humidity.
Don't you live around Houston somewhere ????? I've been here for 60+ years and not much has changed! Pick your Day and Time and you'll get there ! This place has Allway's Suck The Big One on times and MPH.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:21 AM
NotEnoughToys
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts

What causes wheel hop? I have had that happen a few times in our vette. I always let of the gas at that point....
Old 03-05-2011, 10:15 AM
mpe1514
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same thing happened to me with the wheel hop. first time to the track, used launch control. twice in a row, severe wheel hop. that was the last time i used launch control on a prepped track. works great on the street but not at the track.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:18 AM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mpizz
Don't you live around Houston somewhere ????? I've been here for 60+ years and not much has changed! Pick your Day and Time and you'll get there ! This place has Allway's Suck The Big One on times and MPH.
I was in Dallas last night.
Originally Posted by ClevelandPlasma
What causes wheel hop? I have had that happen a few times in our vette. I always let of the gas at that point....
Yeah always back out. Its the loss of traction with the rebound if the suspension and then it rebounds again and again.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:24 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Man thats slow

I understand your frustration and this is what i have been saying fom day one .The ZR1 in a quarter mile drag race is not any quicker or marginally quicker than a z06 with 133 less h.p.Some people have blocked me off their you tube pages for saying that but its the truth.Gearing and heat soaking issues?Maybe .But i still dont see why a stock ZR1with all thet power and a decent driver doesnt run consistant high tens.Forget these yoyos with their prepped tracks etc.Tell them to take a zr1 or even a z06 with no prepped track and no drag radials and no three hour cooldown period between runs and they wont be any quicker than the next guy.Some people elevate these guys to the level of semi god .These same guys criticize if we use another dot tire than the stupid gy runflats while they are toying around with every other variable to set a record.Lets all meet at a track and see who really is the fastest on a fair playing field.Im ready to do it no prepped track straight off the highway any takers?
Old 03-05-2011, 10:32 AM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

What would be the cure a bigger heat exchanger? Would that screw the warranty?
Old 03-05-2011, 10:56 AM
Kyle Lemish
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by camirocz
I understand your frustration and this is what i have been saying fom day one .The ZR1 in a quarter mile drag race is not any quicker or marginally quicker than a z06 with 133 less h.p.Some people have blocked me off their you tube pages for saying that but its the truth.Gearing and heat soaking issues?Maybe .But i still dont see why a stock ZR1with all thet power and a decent driver doesnt run consistant high tens.Forget these yoyos with their prepped tracks etc.Tell them to take a zr1 or even a z06 with no prepped track and no drag radials and no three hour cooldown period between runs and they wont be any quicker than the next guy.Some people elevate these guys to the level of semi god .These same guys criticize if we use another dot tire than the stupid gy runflats while they are toying around with every other variable to set a record.Lets all meet at a track and see who really is the fastest on a fair playing field.Im ready to do it no prepped track straight off the highway any takers?
I have over 100 passes in 2 different ZR1's on stock tires on a good track I would say that 75% or better of my passes have been in the 10's There has been 1000's of passes made in stock Z06's (myself included) and there has only ever been 1 10 second pass ever. Im not trying to beat up on the Z06 its a great car, but once you have owned and daily driven both you will understand the superiority of the ZR1!
Old 03-05-2011, 10:57 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without even dealing with heat soak or weight differences the rwhp difference between the ZR1 and ZO6 is about 85. From the factory both cars suspension and tire wise are in very low 11 second trim, To get a lower time than that takes an ideal situation with or without the 85 HP difference.

Without that "ideal situation" the 85 HP difference is pretty hard to realize and the O6 is a little better geared for the 1/4 than the ZR1 is......... but do a mile or a road course where the the additional power of the ZR1 comes into play and the difference between first place and last place will be considerable.

Doug
Old 03-05-2011, 11:08 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

I think RANGER posted many years ago that it takes upward of 70 or more passes before a driver can really dial-in how to drive a particular car to its fastest time. No expert here at all. Just passing along his comment that I remember well.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:07 PM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by GOLD72
I think RANGER posted many years ago that it takes upward of 70 or more passes before a driver can really dial-in how to drive a particular car to its fastest time. No expert here at all. Just passing along his comment that I remember well.
Yeah I totally took it for granted that this would be similar to a Z06 and its not. Z06 is an easier car to go quick in.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:21 PM
NotEnoughToys
Burning Brakes

Yeah always back out. Its the loss of traction with the rebound if the suspension and then it rebounds again and again.
Is this the reason on old muscle cars they would put traction bars on?
Old 03-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by ClevelandPlasma
Is this the reason on old muscle cars they would put traction bars on?
Absolutely! The traction bars plant the rear end (differential) down and really help against wheel hop.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:29 PM
NotEnoughToys
Burning Brakes

Any cure for the corvette then? ( Probably a pain with independent suspension I would guess. )
Old 03-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Michelins seems to induce wheel hop more than other tires.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:05 PM
jason427
Pro

Maybe you would have done better if you had an AUTO
Old 03-05-2011, 04:40 PM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Default I dont agree

This theory doesnt hold water and here se why:Every driver has a different skill level and adapts to a car differntly .Some guys drive a car for an hour and they have it all figured out ,others have a car ten years and still cant launch it properly.I rest my case.

Get notified of new replies

To Went drag racing for the first time tonight

Old 03-05-2011, 05:51 PM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

This theory doesnt hold water and here se why:Every driver has a different skill level and adapts to a car differntly .Some guys drive a car for an hour and they have it all figured out ,others have a car ten years and still cant launch it properly.I rest my case.
So I'm fast in two Z06s for 4 years but not in the Zr1? Sure makes sense. I guess the upside is I did pound the **** out of every stock vehicle there. Even destroyed a supercharged 427 mustang.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:45 PM
427silverhotrod
Pro

So I'm fast in two Z06s for 4 years but not in the Zr1? Sure makes sense. I guess the upside is I did pound the **** out of every stock vehicle there. Even destroyed a supercharged 427 mustang.
What rear tires? Did you have Drag Radial's
Old 03-05-2011, 06:51 PM
slacker1201
Lifetime NCM Member #2497
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10-11-12 Veteran

Give me a month and I will be tearing some up!

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Went drag racing for the first time tonight