Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

HVAC Temp door actuator (Left)

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2023, 02:23 AM
mrsustayta
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HVAC Temp door actuator (Left)

Hi everyone,

I have a recently purchased 2006 Z that I am having an HVAC issue with.

With the A/C on and set to 60, air flowing from the drivers side dash vents is warm, while the passenger side vents blows ice cold.

I've disconnected the battery and tried to reset the actuators this way, with no luck. I have no issues changing airflow direction to feet/defrost - so I am thinking this is a temp door actuator for the left side from what I have read on other threads here. Although when the temp is adjusted to full heat, all vents blow the same temp and very hot - so not sure if this is still a sign pointing to the actuator, or perhaps a low freon issue. I know the car was evacuated and recharged about 2.5 years ago from service receipts from the previous owner. I have also checked charge last week with a recharge kit and it was in the "green" range (kit didn't have more detailed info), but I've seen people say here that these cars are very particular with the amount of freon needed.

​​​Either way, I am hoping to have some additional insight into the location and procedure for removing the actuator, as I haven't seen any detailed threads for this issue (perhaps someone can point me to one, if it already exists). Depending on it's complexity, and some greatly appreciated recommendations I can then decide which I should try to start with to resolve the issue.

Last edited by mrsustayta; 09-27-2023 at 03:10 AM.
Old 09-27-2023, 10:28 AM
ClothSeats
Drifting

Received 797 Likes on 515 Posts

It could also be a defective temp sensor in the left vent, so look into that before any major disassembly. Actually, my first step would be to reset the HVAC unit as follows:
To reset the HVAC control unit: Press both defroster buttons and the fan speed up button together, all three at the same time.
Old 09-27-2023, 01:51 PM
Bruno417
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I have been having issues with the HVAC in my '13 Z. I needed to find out if I had any stored codes so ended up back at the dealer because I don't own a TECH 2 scanner. Anyway the Corvette tech did a global reset on my car in hopes of getting my actuators working, it didn't help but if you are going to do a reset just skip pulling fuses and pressing buttons. Just do a global battery reset. If that doesn't work you may need to get your car scanned. My code that was set was B3748, mode motor/mode curtain. If it is the mode motor most likely the dash has to come out. If it's the curtain good luck my tech said it's a bitch to get to because of when the curtain is put in during the assembly process.
Old 09-27-2023, 01:52 PM
mrsustayta
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ClothSeats
It could also be a defective temp sensor in the left vent, so look into that before any major disassembly. Actually, my first step would be to reset the HVAC unit as follows:
To reset the HVAC control unit: Press both defroster buttons and the fan speed up button together, all three at the same time.
Thanks for your reply, would the interior temp sensor play a factor when auto mode isnt running?

​​​​​Tried the controller reset as well - no luck.

Get notified of new replies

To HVAC Temp door actuator (Left)

Quick Reply: HVAC Temp door actuator (Left)