Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] ZR1 Vibration Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 09:13 PM
winstonc
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by pcguy2u
Don't forget the luck of the draw in all this - the possibility that by chance, the wheels were set on lugs where the whole problem became no existent, as was reported in another thread by I believe Richie. Therefore, there is the possibility that when you have new tires installed or when you replace a sensor, this problem will raise it's ugly head - that's what concerns me.
If the rims and tires are balanced and not defective it shouldn't make any difference which lugs the wheels are set on. That just sound bizarre to me. Please post documentation, need more than just someones post. A good tire shop with Hunter Road Balancer can fix my vibration problem. But I may have to go to Columbus Ohio like MrZR1sc. My vibration started when I installed rims and tires from 2009 ZR1. So it's not studs, lugs, rotors, etc. Maybe the tires are flat spotted, the guy never drives the car, only 4k miles.

Last edited by winstonc; 11-22-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:43 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by winstonc
If the rims and tires are balanced and not defective it shouldn't make any difference which lugs the wheels are set on. That just sound bizarre to me. Please post documentation, need more than just someones post. A good tire shop with Hunter Road Balancer can fix my vibration problem. But I may have to go to Columbus Ohio like MrZR1sc. My vibration started when I installed rims and tires from 2009 ZR1. So it's not studs, lugs, rotors, etc. Maybe the tires are flat spotted, the guy never drives the car, only 4k miles.
My ZR1 had new tires and wheels Balanced at the Factory and Inspected by Milford Engineers put on it and still had the problem. There are many threads that have some of the info you want.. If it were that simple all these people would have their cars fixed and no need for this thread.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:06 AM
LisasZR1
Lifetime NCM Member #2482
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11

Factory wheels and tires on mine. Until the accident, I never had one shimmy or vibration on my car. Now? It vibrated all the way home after picking it up at the body shop. It was aligned at one shop and they filled the tires with 10 pounds too much pressure. (Did they not know the specs? Is their gauge wrong?) So, I took it to my guys. They let the extra air out and realigned the front and rear (both were slightly out). Now it's vibrating pretty bad.

I really didn't notice it going from the body shop to my alignment people. I noticed it after the alignment. I called and they said bring it back and theyl'd check the tire balance. So I will take it back in a week or so and get the tires balanced and see what that does. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:55 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,105 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas08C6
Factory wheels and tires on mine. Until the accident, I never had one shimmy or vibration on my car. Now? It vibrated all the way home after picking it up at the body shop. It was aligned at one shop and they filled the tires with 10 pounds too much pressure. (Did they not know the specs? Is their gauge wrong?) So, I took it to my guys. They let the extra air out and realigned the front and rear (both were slightly out). Now it's vibrating pretty bad.

I really didn't notice it going from the body shop to my alignment people. I noticed it after the alignment. I called and they said bring it back and theyl'd check the tire balance. So I will take it back in a week or so and get the tires balanced and see what that does. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Lisa,

Sorry to hear about this. Were your wheels ever removed prior to the accident?? If not, I will haphazard a guess that putting the front wheels exactly in their original positions LF to LF and RF to RF including indexing the wheels to their original rotor stud positions might fix the problem. Problem is the original indexing is lost as it probably wasn't marked prior to removing the wheels for the first time. Lots of trial indexing and test driving to find where it originally was. I took my RF wheel off several weeks ago but I used a felt tip marker to mark the stud adjacent to the tire stem so I could put it back on the same way. Let us know if you can get this resolved.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:01 PM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by GOLD72
Lisa,

Sorry to hear about this. Were your wheels ever removed prior to the accident?? If not, I will haphazard a guess that putting the front wheels exactly in their original positions LF to LF and RF to RF including indexing the wheels to their original rotor stud positions might fix the problem. Problem is the original indexing is lost as it probably wasn't marked prior to removing the wheels for the first time. Lots of trial indexing and test driving to find where it originally was. I took my RF wheel off several weeks ago but I used a felt tip marker to mark the stud adjacent to the tire stem so I could put it back on the same way. Let us know if you can get this resolved.
This is exactly what bothers me about the problem. Here you think you have a solid, no problems vette and then whamm..... you're in over your head.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:12 PM
LisasZR1
Lifetime NCM Member #2482
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by GOLD72
Lisa,

Nope - never removed prior to accident but I'm sure they probably were for repairs from it. And I would bet any amount of money that noone marked anything on any tire when they were removed.

I will tell them at Corvettes of Houston when I take it. Richey took the car to someone for alignment but they overfilled my tires by 10 pounds. I wasn't down the road 5 miles and the warnings came on the DIC for all 4 tires. And, not knowing how many ZR1s any of the people that touched the car have ever worked on a ZR1, there's no telling what might be going on.

Will keep y'all posted. DA_ _IT!
Old 11-24-2011, 09:42 PM
Ktzon
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GM Working on Corvette ZR1 Brake Problems

Found this:

http://www.lsxtv.com/news/gm-working...rake-problems/

Automakers have always had a history of reaching out to aftermarket companies and collaborating on projects. Still, GM is famous for having made everything from wheels to brake pads in their cars, a business model that at one point made them the largest company in the world. Times are different now though, and lately there has been a lot more crossover between automakers and the aftermarket, especially for high-end vehicles like the Chevrolet Corvette ZR1.

There are problems, however, with shopping outside the company, as The Truth About Cars discovered on the Corvette Forums. Like many ZR1 owners, he had vibration issues in the steering wheel at highway speeds and soon discovered why; unbalanced rotors!

The Corvette ZR1 is made from an abundance of different aftermarket parts, including Brembo brakes and rotors. Now it’s important to note that many of the Corvette ZR1’s hit the road without any vibration problems at all. But others experienced vibrations in the steering wheel around the 75 mph mark. For a $100,000+ sports car, people expect better (despite the sheer awesomeness of the ZR1 in every other way).

The rotors were in total 1.5 oz out of balance, which doesn’t sound like much, but the vibration increases geometrically with road speed. The customer fixed the rotors himself, and later on received the proper rotors from GM after contacting some higher-up’s. GM is abundantly aware of the problem, having run out of “validated” rotors from Brembo, probably due to the unexpected popularity of the Corvette ZR1. GM and Brembo are both working on a process to ensure all rotors on future ZR1’s don’t have this problem, and really, what more can you ask?
Old 11-24-2011, 10:00 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,105 Likes on 718 Posts

This is exactly what bothers me about the problem. Here you think you have a solid, no problems vette and then whamm..... you're in over your head.
No problem with my car either but simply taking the wheels off and putting them back on differently could result in the problem. Even if I successfully always keep each wheel indexed exactly as installed at the factory, the first set of replacement tires someday in the future could change everything for me.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:00 AM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Ktzon
Found this:

Automakers have always had a history of reaching out to aftermarket companies and collaborating on projects. Still, GM is famous for having made everything from wheels to brake pads in their cars, a business model that at one point made them the largest company in the world. Times are different now though, and lately there has been a lot more crossover between automakers and the aftermarket, especially for high-end vehicles like the Chevrolet Corvette ZR1.

There are problems, however, with shopping outside the company, as The Truth About Cars discovered on the Corvette Forums. Like many ZR1 owners, he had vibration issues in the steering wheel at highway speeds and soon discovered why; unbalanced rotors!

The Corvette ZR1 is made from an abundance of different aftermarket parts, including Brembo brakes and rotors. Now it’s important to note that many of the Corvette ZR1’s hit the road without any vibration problems at all. But others experienced vibrations in the steering wheel around the 75 mph mark. For a $100,000+ sports car, people expect better (despite the sheer awesomeness of the ZR1 in every other way).

The rotors were in total 1.5 oz out of balance, which doesn’t sound like much, but the vibration increases geometrically with road speed. The customer fixed the rotors himself, and later on received the proper rotors from GM after contacting some higher-up’s. GM is abundantly aware of the problem, having run out of “validated” rotors from Brembo, probably due to the unexpected popularity of the Corvette ZR1. GM and Brembo are both working on a process to ensure all rotors on future ZR1’s don’t have this problem, and really, what more can you ask?

KTZON,

Thanks for the article. It's nice to see the problem in print at last. Maybe now the fix will be quicker and easier at the dealer's when one takes their car back!! We can hope.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:10 AM
winstonc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ktzon
Found this:

This is not my problem. I didn't have the vibration until I installed a different set of wheels and tires.

Any documentation on indexing wheels?

Thanks.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:21 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by ufaj26
KTZON,

Thanks for the article. It's nice to see the problem in print at last. Maybe now the fix will be quicker and easier at the dealer's when one takes their car back!! We can hope.
Gee I love how these sites ( Like the one who couldn't get Lisa's story straight) take info they find here and make their own article adding nothing NU!If the vibration increases with road speed how come it magically goes away after the 80ish range??? They didn't mention that................Another non factual article.................

Last edited by DebRedZR1; 11-25-2011 at 07:25 AM.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:59 AM
winstonc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1GSVert

Gee I love how these sites ( Like the one who couldn't get Lisa's story straight) take info they find here and make their own article adding nothing NU!If the vibration increases with road speed how come it magically goes away after the 80ish range??? They didn't mention that................Another non factual article.................
I agree.

Any documentation on indexing wheels? I've never heard of this before and neither has Google. Lug nut indexing.

Last edited by winstonc; 11-25-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:33 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

I agree.

Any documentation on indexing wheels? I never heard of this before and neither has Google. . Lug nut indexing.
It has been posted here and has solved issues for some. I need to go through my emails and find some things that were done when and since they worked on my car
Old 11-25-2011, 10:28 AM
winstonc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ufaj26
For your reading pleasure: Information from the other thread running in this section regarding vibrations

Document ID: 2611355
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#PIC5202C: Tire Vibration At Speeds Above 70 MPH - (Jul 28, 2011)
Subject: Tire Vibration at Speeds Above 70 MPH

Models: 2009 - 2011 Chevrolet Corvette

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This PI was superseded to update admin details. Please discard PIC5202B.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may note a slight vibration in the steering wheel at 72-78 mph. The tires are known to flat spot when parked and this condition may be present until the tires warm up. This condition should clear after 30 minutes of driving.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Important: Drive the car for 30 minutes prior to beginning diagnosis.

Important: Unless there is a concern with the vehicle pulling or drifting, a wheel alignment is not necessary.

Verify the complaint and complete the Vibration Worksheet found in the latest version of bulletin 03-00-91-001.

Vibration felt in seat or steering wheel?

• Does the steering wheel move?

• Does the seat or console area move while driving?

• At what speed does the vibration begin?

• Does the vibration increase, decrease or stay the same as speed is increased?

• At what speed does the vibration diminish?

Vibration felt in the seat and all through the car? Concentrate on the rear tires first
Inspect all tires for signs of damage, cuts, bulges or excessive wear in tire tread or side wall areas and note any damage.

Is the tread evenly worn across the complete tire?

If signs of bumpy or uneven wear, tire may need to be replaced due to improper balance or tire pressure. This is not a warrantable concern.

If signs of excessive wear on tread, tires may need to be replaced. This is not a warrantable concern.

Inspect for signs of loose or worn suspension components such as sway bar bushings or sway bar links.

Verify the last service date on the balance and Road Force Variation (RFV) equipment. This equipment should be tested and calibrated every 90 days or more.

Note: When removing wheel weights use only a plastic tool to prevent damage to the wheel paint.

If tires are serviceable - check balance and re-balance the tires as necessary.

Record the Road Force Variation (RFV) of each tire after driving the car for at least 30 minutes to remove flat spots. The acceptable RFV value for Corvette is 15 lbs.

Rotate (match mount) the tire on the rim to attempt to achieve a RFV of 10 lbs or less.

If unable to achieve less than 10 lbs, remove tire from the rim and measure wheel run out.

Important: For Corvette it is only acceptable to measure rim run out with the tire dismounted, measuring run out only on the bead seat. Reference published information in SI on "Tire and Wheel Assembly Run out Measurement - Off Vehicle."

Maximum aluminum wheel radial run out - measured off-vehicle, tire dismounted: 0.762 mm (0.030 in)

Maximum aluminum wheel lateral run out - measured off-vehicle, tire dismounted: 0.762 mm (0.030 in)

If wheel is within specification try another set of wheels off of a known good vehicle.

If vibration is gone after swapping known good tire, replace that tire to achieve 10lbs or less of RFV.

Vibration is felt in the steering wheel only? Concentrate on the front tires

Note: When removing wheel weights use only a plastic tool to prevent damage to the wheel paint.

Verify condition of tires and wheels:

Is the tread evenly worn across the complete tire?

If signs of bumpy or uneven wear, tire may need to be replaced due to improper balance or tire pressure. This is not a warrantable concern.

If signs of excessive wear on tread, tires may need to be replaced. This is not a warrantable concern.

Check for signs of loose or worn suspension components such as sway bar bushings or sway bar links.

Verify the last service date on the balance and Road Force Variation (RFV) equipment. This equipment should be tested and calibrated every 90 days or more.

If tires are serviceable - check balance and re-balance the tires as necessary.

Record the Road Force Variation (RFV) of each tire after driving the car for at least 30 minutes to remove flat spots. The acceptable RFV value for Corvette is 15 lbs.

Rotate (match mount) the tire on the rim to attempt to achieve a RFV of 10 lbs or less.

If unable to achieve less than 10 lbs, remove tire from the rim and measure wheel run out

Important: For Corvette it is only acceptable to measure rim run out with the tire dismounted, measuring run out only on the bead seat. Reference published information in SI on "Tire and Wheel Assembly Run out Measurement - Off Vehicle."

Maximum aluminum wheel radial run out - measured off-vehicle, tire dismounted: 0.762 mm (0.030 in)

Maximum aluminum wheel lateral run out - measured off-vehicle, tire dismounted: 0.762 mm (0.030 in)

Inspect for signs of corrosion between back of wheel and rotor face. Clean all surface between mating surfaces, reassemble and road test for vibration. Note any change.

Remove rotor and inspect for corrosion between back of rotor and hub face, clean any corrosion.

Reassemble rotor to hub and tighten lugs to secure. Mark one wheel stud and the rotor location for use later as a reference point.

Using dial indicator, record lateral run out on back of rotor about 4mm from the outer edge.

Rotate rotor to determine run out. If greater than .001 inch index rotor around studs to find the lowest amount of run out.

Repeat process for opposite side.

If wheel is within specification try another set of wheels off of a known good vehicle.

If vibration is gone after swapping known good tire, replace tire to achieve 10lbs or less of RFV.

If after performing the procedures above, a slight vibration still exists; this is considered a normal characteristic of the vehicle.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
I understand that there has been many post on the vibration. But GM has the TSB above that addresses the problem. Please find a good tire balancing shop, drive your car or http://www.raceramps.com/flatstoppers.aspx.

Like I mention in a previous post. I traded wheels and tires with someone that had a 2009 ZR1. He even made a comment about never driving it.

Still waiting for the wheel indexing documentation.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:49 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I understand that there has been many post on the vibration. But GM has the TSB above that addresses the problem. Please find a good tire balancing shop, drive your car or http://www.raceramps.com/flatstoppers.aspx.

Like I mention in a previous post. I traded wheels and tires with someone that had a 2009 ZR1. He even made a comment about never driving it.

Still waiting for the wheel indexing documentation.
Think you need to take the blinders off - the problem is not that simple. If you accept that premise, the rest makes sense.
There is no documentation on wheel indexing, per se. There is only anecdotal information on how that seemed to cure one case as posted by RichieRichZ06 - as I posted previously and only from my recollection which is not always absolute. In any case, it was/is not an absolute fix and that is what concerns me - there doesn't appear to be an absolute fix.

Found the post by Richie:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1577888493-post14.html

And here's the link to the whole thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...em-2012-a.html

Last edited by pcguy2u; 11-25-2011 at 10:55 AM. Reason: more info
Old 11-25-2011, 11:52 AM
winstonc
Burning Brakes

Think you need to take the blinders off - the problem is not that simple. If you accept that premise, the rest makes sense.
There is no documentation on wheel indexing, per se. There is only anecdotal information on how that seemed to cure one case as posted by RichieRichZ06 - as I posted previously and only from my recollection which is not always absolute. In any case, it was/is not an absolute fix and that is what concerns me - there doesn't appear to be an absolute fix.

Found the post by Richie:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1577888493-post14.html

And here's the link to the whole thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...em-2012-a.html
Thanks. Read the posts above. What I see is GM telling you in a nice way to get your tires balanced. If then you still feel a shaking when you drive, slow down your scared or maybe your having a medical condition and should see a doctor.

No blinders. Just a reality check. I see a few people that have flat spotted tires.

Also, I know that this is a forum and people post crap like wheel indexing and everyone runs with it because it's sounds legit. And there are probably several posts in all these threads from people that have misrepresented them self and the facts.

Also, see knights in shining armor trying to rescue a damsel in distress.

BTW, it's tire indexing not wheel indexing.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:03 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

For the record I have the Emails for the GM people who worked on my car and what has been done to try to alleviate problems on future Cars. There are many problems that could lead to the Vibration and many solutions dependent on the car. No one here needs "rescuing". Owners want a vibration free car
I think MOST of us appreciate all of the different ideas that have been presented here. It was one of our Posters who initially alerted GM to one of the early problems and my car that started some changes to be made in the processes.
I am not sure what OP is looking for as far as "indexing"? How to do it? That has been covered numerous times.
PS, If I was not happy with what they did that day "Indexing" was the next step...................

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 Vibration Issues

Old 11-25-2011, 12:27 PM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

And just in case you need a little info about who Richie is:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/nort...chie-rich.html

One of the only service guys from a dealership who bothers to post on the forum.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:36 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

One of the only service guys from a dealership who bothers to post on the forum.

I believe he was behind the discovery of the "rust" issue?
Old 11-25-2011, 06:38 PM
winstonc
Burning Brakes

I'm sure Richie is a hard working honorable man and congratulations on his promotion.

That doesn't mean he has the answers for everything. Again just because he's post on this forum doesn't mean anything. He works for a dealership and if you like him you may buy their vehicles or have yours serviced there.

It just seem obvious to me that the people that have NOT gone to a dealership but a competent tire shop with a Hunter Road Force balancer have had the best luck. Some people think your dealership knows everything. No so! Anyone that thinks a dealership can fix a complex problem that doesn't show up when they connect to the OBD-II port is dreaming.

Maybe people should stop posting/whining all day and try other options that have worked for others. Maybe these threads would end. Try a couple different tire shops if the first couple don't fix your problem try another. You're driving a $100k plus car, what a few hundred $$$. A dealership or GM engineer would NOT be first place I'd take my car for this problem. Especially since GM has a TSB on the problem and people on this forum have proven the TSB correct. BALANCE YOUR TIRES OR REPLACE THEM IF YOU'VE DAMAGE(flat spotted) THEM.

If you have a vibration after you wreck your car, probably not a GM problem. Sorry to hear you about your car.

I'll be the first to admit when I wrong and will do so if GM fixes anything.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] ZR1 Vibration Issues