Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Difference between Z06 & ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 11:33 AM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by WestPalmCorvette

There is no denying the aura factor of the ZR!.
In addition to my ZR1, the parking lot at my work has 2 Z06s, an R8, a GTR, and innumerable 911s.
The ZR1 is always the center of attention when we get together on occasion.
There is something about a 638 HP Supercharged Corvette that demands respect and attention even among other expensive high performance automobiles.
Nice!!!...

My parking lot at work has a couple 15 year old mini vans, a '92 Camry, a '78 Ford F150 pickup and my '95 Grand Marquis.

Probably best that I don't bring my ZR1 to work since we are surrounded by body shops that often have dust and overspray floating in the air.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:01 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by barduch
Finally, a cogent argument to justify the ZR1, it's rich in fiber!
Or I think option 1 is equal to or more convincing than fiber- for the crap your pants difference from 150-200mph without fiber.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:24 PM
WestPalmCorvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06
Nice!!!...

My parking lot at work has a couple 15 year old mini vans, a '92 Camry, a '78 Ford F150 pickup and my '95 Grand Marquis.

Probably best that I don't bring my ZR1 to work since we are surrounded by body shops that often have dust and overspray floating in the air.
Come and park by me, its not too far away!
Old 12-20-2011, 02:19 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Cypher
...pretty much.

$25k+ price difference aside, the reason I chose the Z0 over the ZR had more to do with appearance than performance. Personally, I think the fully dressed Z06 is just a better looking car than the ZR1.

I don’t particularly care for the ZR dual-cove fenders or the window hood and specific to the Centennial Edition, I didn’t like the exposed carbon fiber against the Carbon Flash Metallic paint.

The benefit of the LS9’s added HP just wasn’t worth the price of admission for a car I wasn’t completely drawn into.

Life’s about choices…I’m completely happy with mine; no buyers remorse here.

No doubt, the ZR1 is an awesome machine…just wasn’t “all that” for me.
I personally disagree with a couple of your points..............actually, all of them, that is why I chose a ZR1 over the Carbon Edition with the Z07 package. I am so glad I made the right choice, why go half way when you can go all the way.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:50 PM
Cypher
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Racer
I personally disagree with a couple of your points..............actually, all of them, that is why I chose a ZR1 over the Carbon Edition with the Z07 package. I am so glad I made the right choice, why go half way when you can go all the way.
Doesn’t really matter if you agree or disagree with my “points”; what I stated is my opinion and motivation…your disagreement with what I choose is inconsequential to me.

Like everyone else, of course, you are entitled to “your” opinion.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:13 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Doesn’t really matter if you agree or disagree with my “points”; what I stated is my opinion and motivation…your disagreement with what I choose is inconsequential to me.

Like everyone else, of course, you are entitled to “your” opinion.
Testy, testy......

Actually, my opinion about Z06 versus the ZR1 is pretty unanimous among those of us who have owned both. Z06 awesome Vette, ZR1, the ultimate Vette.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:47 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

The difference between the two is at Wide Open Throttle in the Z06 at 120+ mph the ZR1 will be able to pull out from behind your rear bumper and accelerate away from you fast enough that you will feel like your engine failed. They can be on your bumper running an identical speed and when you give them the passing signal they are gone. Been there and seen it first hand in my 08Z.

Bill
Old 12-20-2011, 07:45 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The difference between the two is at Wide Open Throttle in the Z06 at 120+ mph the ZR1 will be able to pull out from behind your rear bumper and accelerate away from you fast enough that you will feel like your engine failed. They can be on your bumper running an identical speed and when you give them the passing signal they are gone. Been there and seen it first hand in my 08Z.

Bill
maybe a little exaggerated?? for 90% of us it's street driven so how often will this happen at 120 mph+ ?? Doesn't matter, ZR1 is top dog I agree but I also agree the Z06 looks better with it's wheels and top mono paint scheme.......before you jump on me, I do plan to get a ZR1 in a few years to replace my Z06 .........well just because it's the TopDog.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:06 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RedZ4me

maybe a little exaggerated?? for 90% of us it's street driven so how often will this happen at 120 mph+ ??
Bill doesn't exaggerate, he's talking about track use.

ZR1 is top dog I agree but I also agree the Z06 looks better with it's wheels and top mono paint scheme.......
The more you look at the contrast of the exposed CF, the more you'll see the kewl-ness!!!... Gives our American muscle a little exotic touch.

before you jump on me, I do plan to get a ZR1 in a few years to replace my Z06 .........well just because it's the TopDog.
When that day comes you will be pleased...

Name:  7e56864f.jpg
Views: 1446
Size:  279.2 KB
Old 12-20-2011, 08:37 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

Bill doesn't exaggerate, he's talking about track use.

The more you look at the contrast of the exposed CF, the more you'll see the kewl-ness!!!... Gives our American muscle a little exotic touch.

When that day comes you will be pleased...

......but " like your engine failed " ?? Doesn't matter, not starting something here.

I've complimented your ride before, that's hot !!! cool white hot actually..........and I do remember your mint yellow Z found a new home not too far from my home ( < an hour away )

Last edited by RedZ4me; 12-20-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:45 AM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

......but " like your engine failed " ?? Doesn't matter, not starting something here.
Not sure what this means?...
Old 12-21-2011, 07:54 AM
Cypher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Racer
Testy, testy......

Actually, my opinion about Z06 versus the ZR1 is pretty unanimous among those of us who have owned both. Z06 awesome Vette, ZR1, the ultimate Vette.
Nothing in my post was debating the HP difference between my Z and the ZR…130 HP is 130 HP.

You take every Z/ZR comparison from a HP standpoint and that’s not what my post was about and not what matters to every buyer that contemplates a Z vs. ZR purchase. You obviously have different priorities in a Vette than I do…not everyone’s “Ultimate Vette” is about HP.

I can increase the HP of my Z pretty easy if that was a priority to me (it’s not), but it would have been ridiculous for me to buy a Centennial ZR and then want to change the front fenders to Z06 pieces and paint the exposed CF black, just to gain 130 HP.

See my point...probably not, eh?
Old 12-21-2011, 08:08 AM
Cypher
Burning Brakes

On most ZRs I think it looks awesome (especially on your white), but imo, it just doesn’t work well with Metallic Black paint.

I know, in your opinion, nothing on the Centennial “works” well.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:46 AM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

On most ZRs I think it looks awesome (especially on your white), but imo, it just doesn’t work well with Metallic Black paint.
I have yet to see a Cent. Ed. ZR1, but I would probably agree that the CF may look out of place with Metallic Black and probably wouldn't be my first choice.

I know, in your opinion, nothing on the Centennial “works” well.
This is simply not true, I know I've given you a hard time because human nature is to defend our own, but with that aside there's only a few things that I wouldn't be happy with...

1. Black (although metallic is easier to care for) but the CF parts are black and a PITA to keep clean.

2. The stripes I don't care for but they could probably grow on me because the rest of the car is HOT!!! ...I just wouldn't do black, and not because I don't like it, just too much work.

3. LS9 vs LS7, obviously you know which one I prefer for many reasons that have already been discussed/battled over and over so no need to ruffle any more feathers over that subject. A thread search will raise the dead on that issue.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:10 AM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Cypher, cool car and cool garage !!
Old 12-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Cypher
Burning Brakes

I have yet to see a Cent. Ed. ZR1, but I would probably agree that the CF may look out of place with Metallic Black and probably wouldn't be my first choice.

This is simply not true, I know I've given you a hard time because human nature is to defend our own, but with that aside there's only a few things that I wouldn't be happy with...

1. Black (although metallic is easier to care for) but the CF parts are black and a PITA to keep clean.

2. The stripes I don't care for but they could probably grow on me because the rest of the car is HOT!!! ...I just wouldn't do black, and not because I don't like it, just too much work.

3. LS9 vs LS7, obviously you know which one I prefer for many reasons that have already been discussed/battled over and over so no need to ruffle any more feathers over that subject. A thread search will raise the dead on that issue.

I’m just bustin’ on ya.

Having extensive experience with black vehicle upkeep (for many years I owned 4 black vehicles simultaneously), I can tell you that the Carbon Flash Metallic color does not exhibit the normal PITA qualities of the usual gloss black paint. I’m pleasantly surprised at how well CFM hides normal road dust…I’m truly impressed with this color.

I’ve just recently started moving away from years of black vehicle ownership (I’m down to 1 black vehicle out of 3, not including the Z), because I’m just tired of the upkeep. Silver is my new color of choice.

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
Cypher, cool car and cool garage !!
Thank you sir.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:04 AM
Capt Van
Le Mans Master

Received 232 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12, '16

Nothing in my post was debating the HP difference between my Z and the ZR…130 HP is 130 HP.
That's 133 hp! Lets give credit where credit is due.

BTW super nice looking Z06 sir my 09 was black as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Difference between Z06 & ZR1

Old 12-22-2011, 08:13 AM
Cypher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Capt Van
That's 133 hp! Lets give credit where credit is due.

BTW super nice looking Z06 sir my 09 was black as well.
My BAD!

Old 12-22-2011, 10:48 AM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

...pretty much.

$25k+ price difference aside, the reason I chose the Z0 over the ZR had more to do with appearance than performance. Personally, I think the fully dressed Z06 is just a better looking car than the ZR1.

I don’t particularly care for the ZR dual-cove fenders or the window hood and specific to the Centennial Edition, I didn’t like the exposed carbon fiber against the Carbon Flash Metallic paint.

The benefit of the LS9’s added HP just wasn’t worth the price of admission for a car I wasn’t completely drawn into.

Life’s about choices…I’m completely happy with mine; no buyers remorse here.

No doubt, the ZR1 is an awesome machine…just wasn’t “all that” for me.

I think the Centennial package detracts from the car and definitely not worth the money. To me, the hood without the window makes the car look unbalanced and front heavy

I like the dual cove and lexan window on my ZR1

And I'm no fan of CFM on any model, GS, Z06 or ZR1, with or without exposed carbon fiber! 041 for me please

We do agree on life's about choices and I'm glad GM offers many variations and packages to meet the demands of all Vette fans.

Congratulations on your new ride. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and you have many fans

Just not for me ...
Old 12-22-2011, 10:56 AM
Cypher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NofakeJake
Just not for me ...
I respect that.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Difference between Z06 & ZR1