Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] my 08 Z got wrecked in the rain!!!

Old 03-09-2012, 08:49 AM
z0ate
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 08 Z got wrecked in the rain!!!

yeah, yesterday i had some business stuff to take care of, and i let the GF take the lightning to work bc her car is broke...the vette tires were pretty bald only bc it *never* sees the rain, and the day before i ordered me some new nitto invos but itll take a few days to get them here. long story short, the Z hydroplaned about a mile from where i was supposed to be, and right into a concrete wall. insurance says its gonna be about 20k in damage it didnt look too bad, but i didnt take into account the corvette tax.

on a good note, they body shop guy says he can get insurance to pay for the tires, and hell powdercoat the wheels satin black for $280

...and by the time the cars fixed, my bulletts should be here as well

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&i...00-1&safe=1&zw

Last edited by z0ate; 03-12-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:07 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by z0ate
yeah, yesterday i had some business stuff to take care of, and i let the GF take the lightning to work bc her car is broke...the vette tires were pretty bald only bc it *never* sees the rain, and the day before i ordered me some new nitto invos but itll take a few days to get them here. long story short, the Z hydroplaned about a mile from where i was supposed to be, and right into a concrete wall. insurance says its gonna be about 20k in damage it didnt look too bad, but i didnt take into account the corvette tax.

on a good note, they body shop guy says he can get insurance to pay for the tires, and hell powdercoat the wheels satin black for $280

That sucks man, but at least you are safe. Hydroplaning is no fun. Been there done that.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:11 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

Hydroplanning factors: speed + tread depth + standing water on the road. What this means basically is that if its raining, and you have poor or no tread on the tires you better slow way down to avoid hp. Oh, dont forget tire air pressure is a factor too.

glad you are ok, the car can be fixed.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:39 AM
01'IndyVette
Racer

Happened to me minus the concrete wall in my 07 Z when a storm came up out of no where on tires that were lacking a bit. Once home I immediately called my buddy at Discount Tire and ordered a new set of Michelins.. Glad you are ok!!
Old 03-09-2012, 10:47 AM
ConfusedGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry to hear but glad you are ok. Cars can be fixed/replaced, not so with a human life.

I once got caught coming home from the drag strip on E/T street drags, unfortunately was on the highway. I thought 55 mph was safe until I almost ate ****. Once I recovered, I slowed to 40mpg and didn't go 1 over. No tread, wide tires and rain makes for a scary experience!
Old 03-09-2012, 11:17 AM
PHXAZ06
Pro

Pics of GF first, damage 2nd
Old 03-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Larry Gonzalez
Racer

Glad you are OK, sorry to hear about the Z, makes me think twice when taking out the vette, here in Fl the thunderstorms are a natural occurrence and they overrun the drain system creating huge puddles.
I Always drive like a granny when caught in a storm.
Hopefully you will get it back soon, sucks what an accident like this does to the value of the vehicle when it comes time to sell or trade, with car-fax and all
Good luck with the repairs
Old 03-09-2012, 12:45 PM
160KTS
Burning Brakes

That sucks, but glad you're alright. Take this as an opportunity to make your Z better.

And for everyone who's afraid to drive in the rain, just learn to drive in it and what to do if you do hydroplane. Don't hit the brakes, don't attempt to turn either. Just let the car come back on it's own while either gently accelerating or decelerating.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:06 PM
F430F1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Z06_Mir
That sucks, but glad you're alright. Take this as an opportunity to make your Z better.

And for everyone who's afraid to drive in the rain, just learn to drive in it and what to do if you do hydroplane. Don't hit the brakes, don't attempt to turn either. Just let the car come back on it's own while either gently accelerating or decelerating.
Agree but if you are running on slicks/bald tires not much will help you in heavy rain or standing water except to stop the car and wait it out........Steve
Old 03-09-2012, 01:22 PM
z0ate
Advanced

Originally Posted by Larry Gonzalez
Glad you are OK, sorry to hear about the Z, makes me think twice when taking out the vette, here in Fl the thunderstorms are a natural occurrence and they overrun the drain system creating huge puddles.
I Always drive like a granny when caught in a storm.
Hopefully you will get it back soon, sucks what an accident like this does to the value of the vehicle when it comes time to sell or trade, with car-fax and all
Good luck with the repairs
what sucks is that the day before, i called my buddy at discount and ordered some new INVOs...but theyve gotta come from cali, and im in tx. the collision shop its at also said that they wouldnt put anything on the carfax...which i know is not right at all, and makes me wonder how many other Zs have been wrecked but have a clean carfax
Old 03-09-2012, 01:22 PM
jmzo6
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by F430F1
Agree but if you are running on slicks/bald tires not much will help you in heavy rain or standing water except to stop the car and wait it out........Steve
No question about that, but, even with decent tread the OE Goodyears are terrible in the rain. Which tire is the best in the rain, Bridgestone or Michellins? Over the life of the tire?
Old 03-09-2012, 01:56 PM
MiamiCowboy
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 74 Posts

Awareness and respect are required when you drive in the rain. Got caught in down pour south of KC. Saw it coming and immediately backed out of the throttle. Got down below 55 but still felt the rear end snap one time. Luckily I was slowing down at that point and it self corrected with the AH. Being unaware of the fine line these cars walk in wet conditions would have surely put me into the median or against the guard rail.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:28 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Glad you are okay, and sounds like you are keeping a positive attitude which is good.

BTW, this thread is invalid , and holds No merit until you post pics of the GF
Old 03-09-2012, 04:01 PM
z0ate
Advanced

Originally Posted by FrankTank
Glad you are okay, and sounds like you are keeping a positive attitude which is good.

BTW, this thread is invalid , and holds No merit until you post pics of the GF
ill get em up asap
Old 03-09-2012, 04:57 PM
F430F1
Advanced

Originally Posted by jmzo6
No question about that, but, even with decent tread the OE Goodyears are terrible in the rain. Which tire is the best in the rain, Bridgestone or Michellins? Over the life of the tire?
Heck I am dead with my new tires as they are already bald new from the factory ......Steve
Attached Images  
Old 03-09-2012, 05:00 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Hydroplaning is definitely a big risk with max performance summer tires after they get a little worn. Eleven years of Z cars as DDs had definitely taught me that. Glad the OP is okay.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Know the feeling, as drive to/from the track on Hoosier R6's, and got caught in one of the worst rain storms of my life. Luckily, I had the foresight, to do some light grooving work, or probably would've been dead right now. Was white knuckling it all the way home at 55 in the right lane though. Curious who's doing the frame repair work, as a pretty elaborate procedure to do it right. I have the ZO6 aluminum chassis repair manual. If interested, PM me an e-mail. Mark

Get notified of new replies

To my 08 Z got wrecked in the rain!!!

Old 03-09-2012, 05:24 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 388 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by z0ate

............way to go Forrest.........
Old 03-09-2012, 07:32 PM
z0ate
Advanced

Originally Posted by VNAMVET
............way to go Forrest.........
you must be the guy who doesnt make mistakes
Old 03-09-2012, 07:33 PM
KillrZ
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Got brand new Michelin Pilot Super Sports and man are they awesome! Glad theres no damage to the GF. Bring on the pics or we'll figure she's fat!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] my 08 Z got wrecked in the rain!!!