Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] No tpms: Need definitive answer

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 02:44 AM
Aussie Vet
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default No tpms: Need definitive answer

Have tried searching and came up with mixed results, but i need a definitive answer on whether you can run without tpms sensors in wheels, and not lose any functions on the car.

Surely there must be a way to disable it, as tracked cars come in and change wheels and tires, not just tires, and they don't sit around and wait to program the sensors.

Car is 08 Z06.
Will not be using runflats

Cheers
Old 03-10-2012, 03:12 AM
peterpiper
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Get a set of sensors.

I understand about the search... There is no way to disable TPMS reaction. If you have a 2nd set of rims, get TPMS for them and a tire training tool. It will save you a lot of headache later.

If the car doesn't see a TPMS sensor after about 40 miles, the car will go into limp mode, and you won't be able to drive the car to its fullest. You WILL overheat your brakes.

Tracked cars can get about 15-20 minutes of track time before the limping starts. If you park the car next to the "trained" wheels, you may get lucky. The system will see the wheels near the car, and give you another 15-20 minutes. This may be what you see from others at the track.

-pp

Last edited by peterpiper; 03-10-2012 at 03:14 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:44 AM
H8VTEC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I swap out my DR's at home which is about 50 miles from the track. I race all day and then I drive home another 50 miles no problems. From my experience, the only time it will go into limp mode is if the tpms communicates with the car saying you have 0 PSI.

When I go to the track, I get a service tire monitor notice but it does not affect the performance of the car whatsoever. I can diable TC, enable competitive mode and disable TC and active handling with no issues. I do not have sensors in my DR's.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:25 AM
dcamick
Tether Man
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,039 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

So let me get this straight!!! Your want to disable your tire pressure monitoring system......and you want to run without run flats!!!

My question is why would you not want to know that a tire is going down?

If these tires and wheels dedicated to track use only......I think you need to let the monitor zero out. If your running them home from the track...I would want the pressure monitored.

Last edited by dcamick; 03-10-2012 at 07:31 AM. Reason: additional clearification
Old 03-10-2012, 07:42 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't screw around with this. I swap to Hoosiers for track days several times a year, put sensors in them, and have a Bartech tool. I drive to/from the track on these, and since non run flats, really the ones I'm wanting monitored. The Bartech's a handy tool to have, as my other cars have TPMS too, and good for tire rotations.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:58 AM
Aussie Vet
Racer

Originally Posted by dcamick
So let me get this straight!!! Your want to disable your tire pressure monitoring system......and you want to run without run flats!!!

If these tires and wheels dedicated to track use only......I think you need to let the monitor zero out. If your running them home from the track...I would want the pressure monitored.
I have been driving and racing for years without tpms, and when not using RF, can feel even small changes in tire pressure.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:01 AM
Aussie Vet
Racer

Originally Posted by H8VTEC
I swap out my DR's at home which is about 50 miles from the track. I race all day and then I drive home another 50 miles no problems. From my experience, the only time it will go into limp mode is if the tpms communicates with the car saying you have 0 PSI.

When I go to the track, I get a service tire monitor notice but it does not affect the performance of the car whatsoever. I can diable TC, enable competitive mode and disable TC and active handling with no issues. I do not have sensors in my DR's.
What year model is your Z?

Do you know of anyone else doing this also?
Old 03-10-2012, 02:28 PM
triblk6spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I have run w//o TPMS sensors since day one. No problems at all. The light on.the dash is no biggie for me.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I am curious about this too...

When I swapped the wheels out, they weren't programmed. The DIC indicated they were at 27 PSI on all four corners. It wasn't until I got the tool and messed with it did it eventually start to realize that nothing was programmed.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:44 PM
H8VTEC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Aussie Vet
What year model is your Z?

Do you know of anyone else doing this also?
06...and I dont know anyone personally but guys have chimed in as well that do this.

The car will go into limp mode IF it receives a change in air pressure. If the sensors are off it doesnt get a signal from them so it gives the "service tire monitor" warning and you'll see xx on your info center for the specific tires that are not giving the signal.

The only time my car goes into limp mode is when I get new tires since they have to remove all the air from inside. the tpms reads this and sends the signal to the car. So once I start driving it again and the sensors read that there is air pressure it goes back to normal.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:15 PM
Aussie Vet
Racer

Thanks all for their input, and Triblk6sd and H8VTEC, do you know if it is the same for an 08 model?
If it is just a light on the dash it would not worry me at all, just don't want to go into limp mode or lose options on traction control.

cheers
Old 03-10-2012, 07:17 PM
gotjuice?
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by triblk6spd
I have run w//o TPMS sensors since day one. No problems at all. The light on.the dash is no biggie for me.
Exactly the same for me. Mine is an 08 with no issues except for the light/message.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:08 PM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

You have to reprogram the body control module to turn it off. None of the work arounds seem to work 100% of the time. For every person that says they don't have a problem there others that do. The only way to get rid of it is to change the BCM module software.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Aussie Vet
Racer

Originally Posted by gotjuice?
Exactly the same for me. Mine is an 08 with no issues except for the light/message.
Great to hear, fingers crossed mine is the same.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:12 PM
Aussie Vet
Racer

Originally Posted by exracer28
You have to reprogram the body control module to turn it off. None of the work arounds seem to work 100% of the time. For every person that says they don't have a problem there others that do. The only way to get rid of it is to change the BCM module software.
Thanks for the info, how hard is it to do this and what i needed?
Old 03-11-2012, 12:14 AM
H8VTEC
Instructor

Also just an idea, some guys made an "air box" with TMPS installed and programmed to the car and drive with it in the trunk. The box I believe were made out of PCV piping and sealed so it doesn't leak.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:01 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by dcamick

Well, its hardly the end of the world given that for the first 100 years or so of automotive history we had no TPMS. You could always tell when a tire was going down by the feel of the car. I am not against TPMS, I think its great, but its like electric windows, heated seats, etc, my God how did we manage?

Get notified of new replies

To No tpms: Need definitive answer

Old 03-11-2012, 07:37 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by foremaw
Well, its hardly the end of the world given that for the first 100 years or so of automotive history we had no TPMS. You could always tell when a tire was going down by the feel of the car....
Yeah, but we didn't have runflats!!

With a runflat, if you're running straight down the highway and lose air pressure in a tire, you just won't notice it because of the stiff sidewalls.

Butt....when you take the off ramp in your normal spirited manner and build up a sideload, you might end up in the guard rail and wonder why!!!

So....tire pressure sensors and your TPMS are much more important when running runflats than old soft sidewall tire technology.

The C5 Z06 didn't come with runflats and the TPMS wasn't activated in the Z06 as it was in the base C5. If you put runflats on the car you could have a dealer activate the TPMS with a Tech 2.

However, when the C6 was coming out the U.S. gubmint was just starting to require TPMS in all cars, so it can not be disabled in the C6.

There is only one person that I have ever heard of that has the programming knowledge and capability to reprogram the C6 BCM, and if you do a search in the AutoX/Roadrace section of the forum you can read that the results may not have been very successful.

Problems with running no sensors seem to be different in different model years, so Aussie Vet, I think you're just going to have to try it with your car to see what happens, mate.

However, I suspect that sometime down the road (track!!) you'll run into problems. Here's a link to a thread that discusses the issue. You can see that David Farmer has run for years with no sensors, but at a recent event he finally got bitten:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-handling.html

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 03-11-2012 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 03-11-2012, 09:22 AM
triblk6spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

This thread is almost too long for such a simple problem. Pull the sensors and go from there. Limp mode? For TPMS sensors? Really?
Old 03-11-2012, 11:06 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by triblk6spd
This thread is almost too long for such a simple problem. Pull the sensors and go from there. Limp mode? For TPMS sensors? Really?
It's absolutely not a problem for street driving.

I put up that link in my previous post - read that, then post up to David Farmer "Limp mode?...Really???"

Because for the track, yeah - REALLY!!!!

I had a hard time programming my sensors one time at the track, so I just went out on the track without programming them. Turning in at T1 I had the brakes jerking the car around, and when I tried to accelerate out of the turn the throttle wouldn't respond until I unwound the steering and had removed virtually all lateral G's, then the car would finally respond to my right foot.

I was lucky there was nobody behind me or they probably would have smashed into my tail end!!! I limped around the track, came into the pits, screwed around with my TPMS tool and got the sensors programmed, went back out on the track, and had no problem for the rest of the session.

So....yeah - it's a REALLY BIG deal on the track!!! Many of us have experienced the limp mode problem, and like my experience and that of David in that link I put up in my previous post, it makes the car undriveable and bordering on unsafe!!!

Bob
The following users liked this post:
Eli-Z06 (08-09-2023)

Quick Reply: [Z06] No tpms: Need definitive answer