Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Suspension control knob problem for all ZR1s...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 08:03 PM
VasMan
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by whatcop?
Ooooook Tested it in the daylight and here is the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV3yRJcTeGM
thats it!
Old 03-20-2012, 04:59 AM
Fizzex
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To those who replied to my earlier post. I do have a ZR1 (2011). And I understand the concern. But I don't see it as a problem. And apparently neither does GM. However, that does not mean they won't make a change if enough customers complain.

The DIC tells me what I need to know when using one of the PTM modes. I don't HAVE to see the text on the dial.

Some of you might try not let inconsequential things bother you. The car still runs and drives fine. But above all, it's safe. As long as you keep your eyes on the road where they belong and not looking at a dial on the center console.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:42 AM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzex
The DIC tells me what I need to know when using one of the PTM modes. I don't HAVE to see the text on the dial.
You've got dashboard lights that "you don't have to see" because you have HUD...but you don't expect them to go black when you use your headlights in manual mode, do you?

Originally Posted by Fizzex
Some of you might try not let inconsequential things bother you. The car still runs and drives fine.
It would seem to me that being such an inconsequential thing, it would be relatively easy to reprogram and implement a fix for those that want it to work...

The response and stance you've taken seems like something GM may say to avoid responsibility of correcting the issue described. I think that at the very least, consumers should get what they paid for...nothing more, nothing less.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:02 AM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06
You've got dashboard lights that "you don't have to see" because you have HUD...but you don't expect them to go black when you use your headlights in manual mode, do you?

It would seem to me that being such an inconsequential thing, it would be relatively easy to reprogram and implement a fix for those that want it to work...

The response and stance you've taken seems like something GM may say to avoid responsibility of correcting the issue described. I think that at the very least, consumers should get what they paid for...nothing more, nothing less.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:54 AM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

GM is punishing you for turning your headlights on during the day.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:05 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Don't flame; I'm just curious as to others' perspectives.

Since the DIC reports what settings your in, what is the issue? You just look at the DIC when controlling the ****? Am I missing something?
Old 03-20-2012, 02:09 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Don't flame; I'm just curious as to others' perspectives.

Since the DIC reports what settings your in, what is the issue? You just look at the DIC when controlling the ****? Am I missing something?
You can. It's just that GM overlooked that the light isn't lit when you manually turn your lights. Doesn't bother me at all because I never use the button. I'm all about holding down that little black button next to it for 6 seconds.

Something else GM overlooked that drives me nuts. Why doesn't the red light for the lock stay lit so I know my doors are locked. I have it set to auto lock but it's just dumb if you don't have that feature turned on. I've read a few times on here that people were at the track and didn't realize their doors weren't locked and their knee or elbow opened the door through a turn.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:33 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Excellent question...

You cannot see what mode you're in unless you're in comp mode.The DIC only indicates the PTM (comp) modes (1 thru 5), it does not indicate either tour or sport modes.

Originally Posted by whatcop?
You can. It's just that GM overlooked that the light isn't lit when you manually turn your lights.
There's no way of knowing what mode you're in for sport/tour with any manual headlight option during the daytime.

The DIC only indicates PTM (comp) modes.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:48 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Excellent question...

You cannot see what mode you're in unless you're in comp mode.The DIC only indicates the PTM (comp) modes (1 thru 5), it does not indicate either tour or sport modes.

There's no way of knowing what mode you're in for sport/tour with any manual headlight option during the daytime.

The DIC only indicates PTM (comp) modes.

Yeah, good point.

The car defaults to tour mode on start-up. Toggle the **** to the right and you're in Sport.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:23 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

The car defaults to tour mode on start-up. Toggle the **** to the right and you're in Sport.
Not mine; it must be broken. It starts up in whatever mode I left it in when I shut it down.

jas
Old 03-20-2012, 04:25 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Yeah, good point.

Mine is always in Sport mode on its own but that might be due to me always killing TC/AH. Never paid attention to see if it switches modes on its own.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:50 PM
JDRacing
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine stays in the last mode I selected before shutting it down.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:39 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Yup. Just checked mine. You're right.

My bad.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:07 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

It's a toggle switch. If you want to be in Tour, then select left again. If you were already in Tour, it won't make a difference. If you were in Sport, congratulations, you're now in the mode you want to be in. If you have to look down to know what mode you're in, it shouldn't matter anyways, should it? Driving down the highway, I find the difference imperceptible.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:24 AM
VasMan
Racer

Originally Posted by irvbulldogs72
It's a toggle switch. If you want to be in Tour, then select left again. If you were already in Tour, it won't make a difference. If you were in Sport, congratulations, you're now in the mode you want to be in. If you have to look down to know what mode you're in, it shouldn't matter anyways, should it? Driving down the highway, I find the difference imperceptible.
You are making an argument for the sake of making an argument. There are certainly ways around it, and yes it is not a debilitating issue. Still though for $100k + Car this crap makes no sense.

Further I discovered yesterday that while the illumination on the button remains on when the lights turn on automatically due to darkness, while illumination turns off when the headlights turn on automatically due to wipers been on..

Last edited by VasMan; 03-21-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:14 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by VasMan
You are making an argument for the sake of making an argument. There are certainly ways around it, and yes it is not a debilitating issue. Still though for $100k + Car this crap makes no sense.

Further I discovered yesterday that while the illumination on the button remains on when the lights turn on automatically due to darkness, while illumination turns off when the headlights turn on automatically due to wipers been on..
I disagree that it's a problem. I also disagree that it's "crap." It's functionality that is inconvenient to a minority of drivers. There's no need to form a lynch mob. If your biggest problem of the day is that your MSRC **** light turns off when you turn the headlights while it's bright out, you're doing alright.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:30 PM
VasMan
Racer

Originally Posted by irvbulldogs72
I disagree that it's a problem. I also disagree that it's "crap." It's functionality that is inconvenient to a minority of drivers. There's no need to form a lynch mob. If your biggest problem of the day is that your MSRC **** light turns off when you turn the headlights while it's bright out, you're doing alright.
I can see that this is not a problem for you and this is fine. What I cannot understand is what is your problem with us having a problem with it. The function makes no sense the way it is now. I found this because I was worried that my control module was fried (as some members have found out, when the lights on their buttons where acting up).

BTW are you Greek (Μολων Λαβε)...

Last edited by VasMan; 03-21-2012 at 07:33 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Suspension control knob problem for all ZR1s...

Old 03-21-2012, 07:57 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VasMan
I can see that this is not a problem for you and this is fine. What I cannot understand is what is your problem with us having a problem with it. The function makes no sense the way it is now. I found this because I was worried that my control module was fried (as some members have found out, when the lights on their buttons where acting up).

BTW are you Greek (Μολων Λαβε)...
As you know Vas, my suspension control module had to be replaced from the day my car came out of Bowling Green. That was certainly an integral part of the ZR1's suspension. The issue was tied directly into the faulty operation of the control **** which is how I found the problem existed. (no lights in any mode was the problem)

"ZR1 out of box failure"

Now to irvbulldogs72, although this may seen to be a non-issue for you, it does tie itself to the suspension control system which IMO should be completely correct rather than "almost, kinda, sorta, correct except for..."

Not sure if you're following me here but it really should be just an update on the programming. Unfortunately that really isn't up to me or you to say, I would prefer that a qualified GM engineer look into the programming issue to make sure that it's "the only" problem with the program...If so, GREAT!!! Give me a recall notice to go to a dealer for the update, and for those that choose not to that's fine too.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:15 PM
VasMan
Racer

As you know Vas, my suspension control module had to be replaced from the day my car came out of Bowling Green. That was certainly an integral part of the ZR1's suspension. The issue was tied directly into the faulty operation of the control **** which is how I found the problem existed. (no lights in any mode was the problem)

"ZR1 out of box failure"

Now to irvbulldogs72, although this may seen to be a non-issue for you, it does tie itself to the suspension control system which IMO should be completely correct rather than "almost, kinda, sorta, correct except for..."

Not sure if you're following me here but it really should be just an update on the programming. Unfortunately that really isn't up to me or you to say, I would prefer that a qualified GM engineer look into the programming issue to make sure that it's "the only" problem with the program...If so, GREAT!!! Give me a recall notice to go to a dealer for the update, and for those that choose not to that's fine too.

I could not have said it better!
Old 03-23-2012, 10:12 AM
C6Brain
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will check mine, and be sure to wear my glasses!

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Suspension control knob problem for all ZR1s...