Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Burn out method for drag radials

Old 02-17-2013, 11:24 AM
Z06pack
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burn out method for drag radials

Having grown up in a line lock drag car, I am having a little difficulty getting the rears to light up on my six speed Z06 while holding the car to warm the tires for a run. I spin a touch in the water to get them wet and crawl out a foot or two. Our track will not let us do a burnout passed the starting line so we must do so stationary. Dumping the clutch in second and jabbing the brakes I suspect is the best method. Any advice from the six speed guys and gals?
Thanks
Old 02-17-2013, 11:35 AM
svtgeoff
Racer

heel on brake, toe on gas. easy to do... dump clutch.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:54 AM
winker2112
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.racespecialtydesigns.com/...p?productid=46

This is what I use and I love it.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:12 PM
briancb1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Drive into the water.

1st gear: Do a really short wheel spin, don't burn out just turn the tires over to get wet.

Pull forward out of the water.

2nd gear: wind it up to 4-4500rpm and drop the clutch, floor it and just lay the throttle down till your car start to get traction and starts moving and stops spinning.

Brake, reverse and line up.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:53 PM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are line-loc plug and play kits for for 150.00.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:10 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Originally Posted by svtgeoff
heel on brake, toe on gas. easy to do... dump clutch.
this is the way I do it.I just use my heel for gas an toe for brake.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:41 PM
D-Rod
Burning Brakes

I just dump the clutch and then move my left foot over to the brake. Never had issues with it not staying still.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:49 PM
rattt g
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Rod
I just dump the clutch and then move my left foot over to the brake. Never had issues with it not staying still.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:49 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Rod
Same here, and I only apply just enough brake to keep it from moving forward, until I'm ready for it to.

Like you, I've never had a problem with it staying still.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:19 AM
yellowzron
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 333 Likes on 195 Posts

My brother was doing 2nd gear burnouts at the track. After the 3rd time he broke the belt tensioner. Don't ask me how this happened but I WONT do a burn out in second gear. I have started my burnout in 1st then changed gears to second. Just my opinion is, dump the clutch in first, use left foot to switch to the brake and keep it spinning. It works for me and most important thing is I have not broke anything yet.

The 350 dollar tow home was not worth it to me.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:45 AM
rattt g
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowzron
My brother was doing 2nd gear burnouts at the track. After the 3rd time he broke the belt tensioner. Don't ask me how this happened but I WONT do a burn out in second gear. I have started my burnout in 1st then changed gears to second. Just my opinion is, dump the clutch in first, use left foot to switch to the brake and keep it spinning. It works for me and most important thing is I have not broke anything yet.

The 350 dollar tow home was not worth it to me.
you shift gears in the burn out with a manual car.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:42 PM
yellowzron
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 333 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by rattt g
you shift gears in the burn out with a manual car.
Yes I have, but don't do it all the time. I have tried it while doing a burn out in first, then shifted to second then held the brake again. Just trying to spin the tires faster to heat them up more. Maybe did it 3-4 times but didn't help me at all. So I just stay in first now and sit there a bit.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:30 PM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

With all of the different race tires I have run in the past, a 2nd gear tire heat-up was mandatory to get heat in the tire. 1st gear just didn't get the job done and the 60's would show this.

However, I know compounds are constantly getting better and changing, so maybe nowadays you can get away with 1st gear tire heat-ups.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:32 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Same here, and I only apply just enough brake to keep it from moving forward, until I'm ready for it to.

Like you, I've never had a problem with it staying still.
Like Ricky said!
Wet the tires but slightly! Rpm to 5,000 at least in 1st gear, then dump the clutch and on the brake, but ONLY hard enough to keep the car from moving forward. Maintain 5,000-5,500 rpm. Spin to light smoke, then off the brake. here is where people do what I don't like to see. They jump off the throttle and the wheels stop on a dime.
I like to ease off the throttle as the car goes forward. Less drivetrain stress I feel.

I don't think a 2nd gear burnout is necessary. The Z06's issue is NOT spinning off the line when launched on a well prepped track and with a good technique. The issue is the clutch limiting the launch and a big bog (due to the clutch limiting issue and limited launch RPM you can use).
This is why you do not ever need to do a big John Force burnout in a Z06. Just heating the DR's a little is all that's needed.

Ron

Last edited by Dr.Ron; 02-18-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:28 PM
jnv255
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drive around the water, back up to the water, pull forward, put it in 2nd, rev it to 6k, dump the clutch, and hit the brake. Once you start getting some good smoke, let off the brake and let the tire spin pull you forward. You've got to heat up DR's and get some smoke, slicks not so much. It also depends on track temp
That pic was taken just after I got off the brakes and let the car go a few feet forward

Last edited by jnv255; 02-18-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:32 PM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Just as an FYI, you're not really heating the tires up with a 1st gear burnout. 2nd gear (at least) is what all competitive bracket racers do and many go well into 3rd gear..... doesn't have to be long, just 2-4 seconds, but you need the tire speed to get the heat into the tires.

I do not know any competitive racer in my years of racing that only do a 1st gear burnout. Virtually all will advise at least 2nd gear, if not 3rd. (Dependent on tire height and gearing)

But, as I said before, with the new compounds that seem to come out every year, if the tire manufacturer only recommends a low tire speed heat-up, then of course a 1st gear would be okay. But, that would be new.

Good subject matter

Originally Posted by Dr.Ron
Like Ricky said!
Wet the tires but slightly! Rpm to 5,000 at least in 1st gear, then dump the clutch and on the brake, but ONLY hard enough to keep the car from moving forward. Maintain 5,000-5,500 rpm. Spin to light smoke, then off the brake. here is where people do what I don't like to see. They jump off the throttle and the wheels stop on a dime.
I like to ease off the throttle as the car goes forward. Less drivetrain stress I feel.

I don't think a 2nd gear burnout is necessary. The Z06's issue is NOT spinning off the line when launched on a well prepped track and with a good technique. The issue is the clutch limiting the launch and a big bog (due to the clutch limiting issue and limited launch RPM you can use).
This is why you do not ever need to do a big John Force burnout in a Z06. Just heating the DR's a little is all that's needed.

Ron
Old 02-18-2013, 10:35 PM
jnv255
Pro

Agreed.. My Vette likes 2nd, my other car that made close to 1000whp liked 3 gear burnouts. 1st gear doesn't get anywhere near enough wheel speed

Originally Posted by Beach Bum
Just as an FYI, you're not really heating the tires up with a 1st gear burnout. 2nd gear (at least) is what all competitive bracket racers do and many go well into 3rd gear..... doesn't have to be long, just 2-4 seconds, but you need the tire speed to get the heat into the tires.
I
I do not know any competitive racer in my years of racing that only do a 1st gear burnout. Virtually all will advise at least 2nd gear, if not 3rd. (Dependent on tire height and gearing)

But, as I said before, with the new compounds that seem to come out every year, if the tire manufacturer only recommends a low tire speed heat-up, then of course a 1st gear would be okay. But, that would be new.

Good subject matter

Get notified of new replies

To Burn out method for drag radials

Old 02-18-2013, 11:43 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I always heard that 2nd gear burnouts were harder on your clutch.

Any truth to that?
Old 02-19-2013, 12:02 AM
jnv255
Pro

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
I always heard that 2nd gear burnouts were harder on your clutch.

Any truth to that?
My stock clutch did ok with em. As long as the tire is wet and you're not on the sticky stuff, you SHOULD be ok. Not saying it is, or isn't, but my factory clutch handled it. It didn't like flat shifting a whole lot, but if I kept the fluid changed and didn't hot lap the car, it was fine.... No slipping and it would shift at redline

Last edited by jnv255; 02-19-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:27 AM
Z06pack
Instructor

With my 66 Chevy 2 with a glide and line lock, it was simple. Get the tires wet and do a first to second gear burn out untill the tires started to stick and back off. Saw a lot of automatic guys blow out converters or transmissions by powering through burnouts untill the car dead hooked. Great information from the 6 speed guys. First time out I over braked and and got little wheel spin. Still ran 11.38 on street tires with a tune. These cars are great. I think I put many thousands into my 69 cobrajet mustang just to get it into the 12's. Dont you just love new technology!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Burn out method for drag radials