Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Just curious to see if anyone is buying a stringray or waitng...

Old 05-13-2013, 02:07 AM
vara
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Just curious to see if anyone is buying a stringray or waitng...

I am just curious to see if anyone will be jumping on the bandwagon to buy a Stingray as soon as it hits the lots. I am keeping my ZR until they produce something that can match it's speed bone stock.

Of course the technology in the 2014 is pretty stout. I am not much for the fancy shmancy mylink radio. I rather prefer a simple touch screen like the one in the current C6. Complex electronics and new gadgets just mean more opportunities for glitches and failures, but that is just my opinion. Engine is solid.

I am content with my ZR and have no intention of buying a Stingray right off the bat. There will be technology enhancements as the years go on so for me personally, it's better to wait. I want to see what they will do for a high performance version and when and if, it will debut. I would say it would be a few years before you see a Z06 and even more so a ZR1, but that is just my own intuition.

For now, I will enjoy my still very rare ZR1. Sure the Stingray will get the ooooooo's and aaaaaaaa's when it first hits the showrooms, but as with anything else it will become just another C7 with time and it's uniqueness will diminish.

Just the other day I was at an intersection and a teen in his car just stayed at the stop sign (they were crossing from the left) and I read his lips "it's a ZR1" as he pointed in awe. I just smiled and politely waited as he crossed. Yup, I am sure everyone still gets those. Nice to know it still holds a fascination for some even after being in production since 09. A great run and a fantastic finish to my favorite body style so far. We shall see what Chevy plans to do for the Stingray in a high performance version.

Until then fellow ZR1ians...I just made that up! Have fun and be safe.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:16 AM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

Im not gonna sell thr zr for a stingray, why would we wanna downgrade? Still cant stand rear taillight! Im guessing within the next year GM come out with something better/faster than the zr1 though. I still wont like it unless big body difference.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:42 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by timmyZ06
Im not gonna sell thr zr for a stingray, why would we wanna downgrade? Still cant stand rear taillight! Im guessing within the next year GM come out with something better/faster than the zr1 though. I still wont like it unless big body difference.
Agree fully. I like the C6 widebody look way more than the C7. And having the C6 top dog....No freakin way!
Old 05-13-2013, 09:27 AM
ZR1Cat
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 75 Posts

The curse of always wanting the latest "new and improved" model, is that you must always be buying a new vette. Last years model is always old news and less desireable. I don't buy into that thinking. It is way too expensive for me (and I don't like selling and buying cars anyway). I am plenty happy with what I have. It is somewhat rare and will always be that way.

Moreover this isn't my first rodeo. I know how GM and others work. Although the new C7 appears to be a big jump up in performance and technology, I'd never buy the first three years of a new model and one that only offers a base engine. We know what is in store for those that wait (i.e. more powerful engine option or hi-po model). Just look at the Camaro. Everyone wanted the new Camaro with all its glitter. We thought the top dog was the SS. Then came the ZL1 and the Z28 models. A few years after the introduction of the new Camaro and who would want a base model or the SS compared to a ZL1 or Z28 came later. Its not even close.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:40 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

No C7 for me unless the Z/ZR model comes with an A8.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:12 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

I'll likely wait for a 2nd year C7 ZR1 or equivalent and then trade-up. Until then, let the early adopters work out the bugs.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:29 PM
barduch
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
I'll likely wait for a 2nd year C7 ZR1 or equivalent and then trade-up. Until then, let the early adopters work out the bugs.
DOUBLE DITTOES!
Old 05-13-2013, 02:28 PM
vara
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZR1Cat
The curse of always wanting the latest "new and improved" model, is that you must always be buying a new vette. Last years model is always old news and less desireable. I don't buy into that thinking. It is way too expensive for me (and I don't like selling and buying cars anyway). I am plenty happy with what I have. It is somewhat rare and will always be that way.

Moreover this isn't my first rodeo. I know how GM and others work. Although the new C7 appears to be a big jump up in performance and technology, I'd never buy the first three years of a new model and one that only offers a base engine. We know what is in store for those that wait (i.e. more powerful engine option or hi-po model). Just look at the Camaro. Everyone wanted the new Camaro with all its glitter. We thought the top dog was the SS. Then came the ZL1 and the Z28 models. A few years after the introduction of the new Camaro and who would want a base model or the SS compared to a ZL1 or Z28 came later. Its not even close.
I couldn't agree with you more. There are always improvements so no one will ever have the latest and greatest model. It's the rule of marketing. I'm sure all of the advancements already exist and are kept under the strictest of secrecy. Then they are strategically deployed as the life of the car goes on too maintain interest and profitability. Been that way for many years in pretty much every industry and will continue for years to come.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:33 PM
vara
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZR1Cat

Yup! I agree with you on that.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:00 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

Like i always said: for me the C6 IS the reason why in own a vette! Never liked the vette before the C6, bodywork of the C6 is to me pretty much perfect. Not too busy, not too squarry or to ferrari or camaro look alike!
its always come down to taste, but its simple to me: i own the top dawg vette in the generation with the most succesful body work IMO! For once im honestly not thinking about selling the freaking thing! I think this one might be the ONE! This is how i feel about that insane car once again its my own opinion!
Old 05-13-2013, 04:07 PM
k wright
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

It would be a downgrade for Z06 and ZR1 owners. It is a great looking car until you get to the tail.

The C6 has always been my favorite looking car, when the Z06 arrived it was all over for me.

That being said the Generation 3 MR is light years ahead of what we have so I'll look forward to 2015.....
Old 05-13-2013, 06:39 PM
BT ZR1
2009 ZR1 SN 1166
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

the current zr1 is the nicest looking corvette since the 63 split window. c7 is not close.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:57 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,419 Likes on 2,266 Posts

I won't take a step down in performance, which going to a C7 would be.

So will have to wait and see what, if anything they do with a higher perf model.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:55 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

I'm glad I have what I do, and all the stars aligned for the buy when I got it.
Very satisfied thus far, and no plans to sell it or buy another.

But, here's hoping the C7 (and its future variants) are a huge success !
Old 05-13-2013, 11:20 PM
TWS Racing
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BT ZR1
the current zr1 is the nicest looking corvette since the 63 split window. c7 is not close.

Plus like others have said, I'll wait a couple years for the bugs to get worked out.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:06 PM
dbooth
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Default 2015 is the year

2015 is supposed to be the year the C7 has a car that will equal the performance of the current ZR1.

It will not have as much horsepower as the current 638 but will have other enhancements that will allow performance equal to the current ZR1 according to engineers that were at the bash.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:01 AM
bdevault01
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a feeling that current ZR owners will be very disappointed with the base C7 even with the Z51 package.

Get notified of new replies

To Just curious to see if anyone is buying a stringray or waitng...

Old 05-17-2013, 08:19 AM
vara
Instructor

Originally Posted by bdevault01
I have a feeling that current ZR owners will be very disappointed with the base C7 even with the Z51 package.
Yea, I agree. The only thing that is different is the technology. All of us ZR1inans still have the king!!
Old 05-17-2013, 11:42 PM
vara
Instructor

Originally Posted by dbooth
2015 is supposed to be the year the C7 has a car that will equal the performance of the current ZR1.

It will not have as much horsepower as the current 638 but will have other enhancements that will allow performance equal to the current ZR1 according to engineers that were at the bash.
So then it will handle better perhaps but not be as fast?? Find that difficult to understand. Hmm. You would think they would want to outdo the comp as well as boost the Hp in comparison to the current ZR. That would disappoint a lot of vette owners by doing such a thing. We will have to wait and see.

Until then... ZOOOOOOMMM!!!!
Old 05-18-2013, 12:04 AM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

I might buy another "real" Sting Ray...a 63-67. But no serious plans on a C7 anytime soon.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [ZR1] Just curious to see if anyone is buying a stringray or waitng...