Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Launching my stock Z06 - damaging the car over time, and what parts other than clutch

Old 11-12-2013, 03:22 AM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Launching my stock Z06 - damaging the car over time, and what parts other than clutch

Since buying my Z06 6 months ago or so, I've never launched it. (I'm relatively new to sports cars, so if it sounds like I don't know very much, it's because I don't.)

I broke down tonight out of curiosity and finally launched it a few times, based on what I remember from Ranger's directions. (Bring up to X rpms - I used around 2500 - then quickly release the clutch and wait for the tires to gain traction before squeezing the throttle).

I wasn't very good, and alternated between having it bog vs. way too much wheelspin.

But I was wondering, to what extent does this damage or create wear on the car? And what parts does it damage/wear down, other than the clutch and tires? Does the sudden jolt through the drivetrain loosen or break other components?

It was fun, but I'm not rich and don't have the time to be replacing parts or costly repairs. On the other hand, if it's there's not huge impact on my car (and I'm going to start doing the Ranger method for changing out the clutch fluid), then I'm going to do launches more often and hopefully get better at it.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:52 AM
ghoust
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

half shafts in your independant rear suspension take a beating during drag racing as well.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:53 AM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

By perfecting your technique, you could break something major. Do you feel lucky? I did the same thing a number of years ago with a ricermobile. Before I knew it, I was out $900 for a repair.

Last edited by Turbooo2u; 11-12-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:59 AM
Nino S
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

When you drag a car enough you will eventually find the weakest link in your drivetrain. In my 03 Cobra i had before my Z I snapped 3 halfshafts, gerenaded a diff, and blew up 1 trans from a 6k launch. If you drive any car hard it will break. You either replace it with stock parts and continue to break parts or upgrade them to hold more power. After 2 stock halfshafts I went DSS level 5 axles, a built diff and a RKT56 built trans and never worried about those parts again. They are amazing cars but are made of mechanical parts and every part has a certain amount of abuse before they eventually give up. Just like how all of our guides in our heads were within spec when our cars were rolled off the assembly line lol
Old 11-12-2013, 10:15 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Any full use of your car is going to add wear and tear. Track days generate hi temperatures and the continued high rpm puts stress and strain on the engine.

However I don't believe anything eats parts like drag strip max launches. As a result I have never been into drag racing. I have too much respect for the poor parts that are going through such pain and stress not to speak of the tires you are burning up at rapid rates.

The other thing with the Z is that it takes a very long time to get the oil temperature up to operating temps. So it takes nearly 20-30 minutes of driving in our very mild SCalifornia temps before I see 180+ oil temp. I don't get much over 2500 rpm and granny shifts until that temp is showing on the DIC. Again out of respect for the parts.

One advantage of street tires and the tire spinning you are seeing is that does relieve the stress on the hard parts since the tires give up before they put too much pressure on the rest of the car. So budget another $2000 for tires a bit earlier and enjoy your self if you like.

The BadCraps have a relatively short life anyhow so if you are still on them go ahead and burn them up and than you can get good tires and be more careful with them.

Enjoy the car.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

With all that said above, the stock z06 parts are stout and handle the stock power levels just fine. Even adding 200-300hp they are pretty damn strong. The only thing I would be really worried about beside wear/tear on the clutch is maybe breaking a CV joint in the axles if you have a 06-07.

Get notified of new replies

To Launching my stock Z06 - damaging the car over time, and what parts other than clutch

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Launching my stock Z06 - damaging the car over time, and what parts other than clutch