Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Service Tire Monitor problem

Old 07-17-2015, 04:25 PM
vette ruminator
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Service Tire Monitor problem

On June 1, I was headed to the track and "Service tire monitor" came on about 35 min after leaving home. I was able to get the system to reset except for one wheel using my TPMS tool. It seemed to read again after I put some air in the tire and let it out. I went on the track for a 20 minute HPDE session and after 18 minutes the service tire monitor light came back on and all of the traction control systems turned on and were extra sensitive, depressing the brakes at the slightest turn. This happened several times until it would not reset at all. I had it reset at a nearby dealer (the first TPMS tool they tried would not reset it but a more elaborate tool did) but the light came back on during the next session. There were multiple XXs on the tire pressure monitors: right front and both rears. Neither my stock wheels nor my second set of OEM wheels with OEM sensors would reset the system with my TPMS tool. At my nearby dealer they replaced some of the tire pressure monitors on the original wheels then replaced the sensor module (the first one they ordered was bad so they had to replace it twice). They had to reprogram the key fobs and the car was ok for the few rides I took in it which were less than an hour long.

On 7/10/15 the service tire monitor came on during the drive up to Road America; it came on about an hour into the ride. I was able to reset it using my tpms tool but it kept happening after 18 min of driving. When I could reset it the horn would beep for the tool but the tire pressure did not change its reading on the dic. I think it never really communicated with the module because the light would come on again after 18 min. This kept happening about 4 times until it stopped taking the reset altogether. There was one episode on the track when I had it in driver setting 2 and the settings for driver setting 1 came on without pushing any buttons. After 18 min the DIC read "service tire pressure monitor, traction control off" and all the nannies would kick in.

I found a mechanic at the track who works on C6s and the only way to get the car to stop turning on all the nannies on the most sensitive setting was to unplug the steering wheel position sensor wire located in the driver side footwell underneath the steering column to disable active handling. The DIC read “service active handling” but the electronic systems didn't interfere with driving the car. After that the only working tire pressure monitor on the left front wheel seemed to read correctly but the other 3 did not. This problem keeps coming back and keeps ruining my track outings. The key fob seems to work intermittently with opening the trunk, etc. despite a new fob battery installed in June. I assume it's the same issue as the as the sensor.

It's not the indivual TPMS sensors as it happens with new sensors installed and it happens with my track wheels. It can't be that 4 or 6 different batteries on different wheels have all gone out at the same time.

I have seen some posts that think there is interference with the sensor system in some way from either plugging an accessory into the cigarette lighter instead of the plug on the console or some sort of Bluetooth interference.

I do plug in my phone into the cigarette lighter to use a nav app on the way to the track, and I plug in the phone to use a lap timer at the track; could I that be it?? Has anyone had this happen and solved this issue? Not sure why the problem persists at the dealer when my phone is not even there. I hope the answer is not to just avoid using my phone for either application... I use an iPhone5 for nav and I have been using a separate iPhone5 for Harry's Lap timer.

The car is a 2011 ZR1. I have used the same phone and apps for much longer than this issue; it just started recently.

Thanks for the input!
The following users liked this post:
RedriderC6 (09-02-2017)
Old 07-18-2015, 09:58 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Old 07-19-2015, 08:56 AM
vette ruminator
Drifting

What's confusing if it is the device plugged in that causes active interference is that it continues when there is nothing plugged in. When the service tire monitor warning came on the phone was plugged in, but even when I came home and tried to put on my track wheels with nothing plugged into the lighter my TPMs tool still wouldn't reset the system.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:31 PM
vette ruminator
Drifting

Spoke with the dealer today. They had reset the system and all was ok. They hooked up an iPhone to test the inference issue without plugging it in and the TPMs was ok but other weirdness started up: the A/C came on, the radio came on, and the DIC showed startup messages. Has anyone experienced trouble with iPhones recently??
Old 07-23-2015, 03:30 AM
surfdh74
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine came on the other day. It has not came back on after it sat all day. 2011 ZR1 also.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:52 PM
vette ruminator
Drifting

The dealer has been in touch with GM tech who apparently have been working on an iPhone solution for months. It sounds like turning off the Bluetooth in the car may be a solution. I have to think they can do better than that... hope to hear back soon.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:43 PM
08 ATOMIC-Z
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

MyZ06 acted up after having a Droid Max in my car with Blue tooth enabled. My TPS turned on but eventually cleared after taking the phone out of the car.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:29 PM
vette ruminator
Drifting

Got a call from the dealer that GM wrote a new program to upload that should fix the problem, but will WIPE OUT THE RADIO. Are they serious?

Any techies out there with any insight on this? JVP?

Last edited by vette ruminator; 07-27-2015 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:48 PM
vette ruminator
Drifting

I just picked up the car. The software rewrite the GM geek squad came up with called for eliminating the use of the radio, not just the presets. I did not have them install it. There was malfunction (with the AC turning on by itself and some other crazy things but not tire monitor issues) when the tech hooked up his own phone without plugging it in, so it's possible the plug may have something to do with it (either the type or whether it's plugged into he cigarette lighter or the console) or it may be the phone software or the bluetooth.

I just drove the car 40 min without plugging the phone in and with Bluetooth on the phone turned off and no problems. I'll try turning the Bluetooth on in the phone but not having it pair with the car to see if that is ok later. I do want the Bluetooth in the phone to be able to communicate with the Bluetooth in my external GPS for my lap timer.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:41 PM
vette ruminator
Drifting

Update:

I spent a silly amount of time and gas today testing what could be causing the TPMs interference. When I plugged in an aftermarket cigarette lighter-to-USB plug in the console (not in the cigarette lighter), there was a tire sensor warning light at 57 minutes, which is the same as the last time this happened. The service tire monitor message did not display, and the sensors read numbers, not XX. I unplugged it, turned the car off and back on, and the TPMs warning did not come back on again after 1.5 hours of driving. This did not happen with another charger, so I have found at least one that works.

I had my Valentine plugged into its rearview mirror power source, and both my regular phone and my Harry's lap timer extra phone were on, with Bluetooth on but not paired to the car. So far I may have found a compromise solution that will allow me to use my lap timer without killing the TPMs.

Also as an FYI, my dealer service writer told me that if I can't get the TPMs light to clear after I've removed all the culprits that if I unhooked the battery cables and touched them to each other that will reset the electronic systems in the car. So far I have not had to do this but it is good to know there is a DIY if needed.

The bottom line is that this seems to confirm that external electronics seem to be the problem with the TPMs in these cars if it is acting as described in my original post. It could be the Bluetooth from the phone, the charging cable, etc and it may even be different for each car, but starting with eliminating the external electronics should be the place to start tackling this annoying problem. Hope this helps.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:25 PM
ZfirstVette
Intermediate

I am having this issue, when I got the car delivered 5 weeks ago, all four tires were 10lbs low. Added air, message went away, then after a few short drives it came back, one tire read xx. I let out some air, started car up to read it, then added more air to correct psi. Message went away, briefly, now won't read right rear. Tried same thing, no reset. I have had my iphone with me w/bluetooth on each time. I will try w/bluetooth off. If it doesn't work I'll be taking in on my GM CPO warranty soon. Thanks
Old 11-10-2015, 07:58 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Old 11-11-2015, 03:20 PM
ZfirstVette
Intermediate

Bluetooth off, no TPMS issue's. I was thinking about an aftermarket Nav/Bluetooth head unit to replace stock radio, but may not now.

Get notified of new replies

To Service Tire Monitor problem

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [ZR1] Service Tire Monitor problem