Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] question about the ZR1 "vibration"

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 10:20 PM
ZRJUAN.
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default question about the ZR1 "vibration"

Regarding the dreaded vibration issues, is it a constant vibration in the steering wheel or is it kinda here and there. I don't feel it in the seat and it could just be the roads around here. any thoughts?
Old 08-05-2015, 11:05 PM
mmats69
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a thread in the sticky section that talks about it in detail. Lots of good info.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:39 PM
ROCKGT
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default question about the ZR1 "vibration"

It feels on the steering wheel only.
Most cars from 70 mph to 80 mph.
Mine does it from 74 to 78 +/-
Old 08-06-2015, 06:50 AM
winstonc
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ZRJUAN.
Regarding the dreaded vibration issues, is it a constant vibration in the steering wheel or is it kinda here and there. I don't feel it in the seat and it could just be the roads around here. any thoughts?
Find a good tire shop and get your tires road force balanced or get new tires. But even a road force balance may not work because the tires are so out of balance. At least that's what it looked like to me on the balance machine. I think that was the resolution for most of the people in the sticky thread.

I didn't have the vibration then I traded for another set of ZR1 rims and tires and the vibration started.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:03 AM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by ZRJUAN.
There is a lot of good info in the sticky but to maybe save you sometime I can tell you this:

The "dreaded vibration issue" does not really have anything to do with the tires or wheels although they can certainly be one of the causes. It is a rotor that is imperfect. And it can sometimes feel fine (don't really know why that is) but the majority of the time there will be a vibration in the steering wheel very similar to a tire out of balance and is most noticeable in the 70-80 MPH range. My 2012 had this issue. I took the car to a very high end shop and had the tires rebalanced to as close to perfection that was humanly possible. Then they were placed back on the vehicle and spun up to appx 80 mph. The right front was perfect but the left front started to vibrate as the speed increased. The tire shop then added a small amount of weight to offset the rotor imbalance and then it was perfect and smooth as silk. That solves the issue but it will reappear if you change a tire or wheel. You will have to start over again. The real fix is have the rotor replaced if possible if in fact you have a rotor that is out.

Last edited by ufaj26; 08-06-2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:09 PM
ZRJUAN.
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

well thanks for the help guys. I did read the sticky just wandering if it was a constant vibration or kinda hit or miss.

Get notified of new replies

To question about the ZR1 "vibration"

Quick Reply: [ZR1] question about the ZR1 "vibration"