Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] ZR1 Splitter & Carbon Repairs

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 02:09 PM
nolimits
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default ZR1 Splitter & Carbon Repairs

All you can repair these fairly easily, from another post I did:
_____

You can do much more than that. Wet sanding isn't enough. Clear coating is the key to appearance as long as weave isn't compromised bad. Backside support repair with light weave is what you do for structural weakness if you're concerned.

For clear coat:

-Tape off area so you don't damage anymore when sanding.
-If there is weave cracking use fiberglass mat on the back side to reinforce, you can add black color tint to match.
-Sand some more, not a lot or not down to the weave if you can help it.
-Smoothing with less and less grit, no water, wipe off.
-Spray some clear coat.
-Let it dry, light sand and re-coat as desired.
-Now start the fine wet sanding and polishing, wax or whatever last.

The main difference will be getting clear coat on there, soaking into the cracks and damage, most of them will disappear. You can even flex the area a little during the first application to work the clear coat into cracks etc. It gets tougher when the damage disrupts or shifts the weave as others have mentioned. Yours appears to be an easy fix if someone wants to spend the time vs paying for new ones. Or fix and also buy spares for when you really smack em, hopefully not. Good luck.

Last edited by nolimits; 04-16-2016 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:30 PM
LTC Hutto
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default zr1 zo6 splitter repair

Originally Posted by nolimits
All you can repair these fairly easily, from another post I did:
_____

You can do much more than that. Wet sanding isn't enough. Clear coating is the key to appearance as long as weave isn't compromised bad. Backside support repair with light weave is what you do for structural weakness if you're concerned.

For clear coat:

-Tape off area so you don't damage anymore when sanding.
-If there is weave cracking use fiberglass mat on the back side to reinforce, you can add black color tint to match.
-Sand some more, not a lot or not down to the weave if you can help it.
-Smoothing with less and less grit, no water, wipe off.
-Spray some clear coat.
-Let it dry, light sand and re-coat as desired.
-Now start the fine wet sanding and polishing, wax or whatever last.

The main difference will be getting clear coat on there, soaking into the cracks and damage, most of them will disappear. You can even flex the area a little during the first application to work the clear coat into cracks etc. It gets tougher when the damage disrupts or shifts the weave as others have mentioned. Yours appears to be an easy fix if someone wants to spend the time vs paying for new ones. Or fix and also buy spares for when you really smack em, hopefully not. Good luck.
So, I'm betting if the splitter is painted and cracked, the repair should be much easier even if the paint has to be touched up? Mine is a 427-60th convertible. Seems I had a stupid attack and bumped a curb while parking... Appreciate any advice you can give.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:04 PM
nolimits
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LTC Hutto
So, I'm betting if the splitter is painted and cracked, the repair should be much easier even if the paint has to be touched up? Mine is a 427-60th convertible. Seems I had a stupid attack and bumped a curb while parking... Appreciate any advice you can give.
Process is similar, reinforce the back side with fiberglass cloth/resin, then resin the front, sand and paint.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 Splitter & Carbon Repairs

Quick Reply: [ZR1] ZR1 Splitter & Carbon Repairs