Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Thoughts after selling my ZR1 for a Z/28

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 06:17 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Nice Z28, I'm sure it's a beast!

My ZR1 is staying put..........

Old 03-25-2017, 02:00 PM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

Excellent post, OP.

Sounds like you've made a vehicle purchase based on much critical thinking about your driving experiences and the vehicle qualities that bring you driving pleasure, in my books, excellent characteristics of a true car enthusiast.

I wish you many miles of driving pleasure.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:52 PM
z06vettewannabe
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Vernon
Excellent post, OP.

Sounds like you've made a vehicle purchase based on much critical thinking about your driving experiences and the vehicle qualities that bring you driving pleasure, in my books, excellent characteristics of a true car enthusiast.

I wish you many miles of driving pleasure.
Thank you Vernon, much appreciated. Selling my ZR1 was a VERY hard decision that I thought about for months before actually doing it. I wasn't kidding when I said I almost felt sick to my stomach when I saw it drive away. One thing I thought was kind of funny happened a week after I sold the ZR1......caveat the fact that I NEVER see ZR1s driving around. I was on the highway and a Grey ZR1 came up alongside me. I had to shake my head.....it was as if the car gods were teasing me, letting me know in no uncertain terms that I had given up one of the great sports cars ever made. It looked sooooo badass. I don't think this is the end of the line for a ZR1 in my garage. After my kids are out of the house in a few years I can see myself getting another one......and keeping the Z/28......that would be the best of both worlds.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:58 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

OP, those cars are a bargain if you're into having a track biased bad *** camaro (from the factory).

Having said that, when i was younger i had camaros and mustangs.. when i grew up I bought Corvettes and unless i'm looking for two toys and only had room for one? It will always be a Corvette. these cars are like a superhero uniform you don't drive it... you wear it!! the Camaro starts as a 25k car.. and is available with a 4cyl.. that in itself just turns me way off. not to mention ride height and maneuverability. nothing changes direction like a vette. NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 03-25-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:47 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 897 Likes on 686 Posts

I test drove a '14 Z/28 before I ultimately purchased my '08 Z06. It's an amazing car and really wanted to buy it. It was just a little out of the range I wanted to spend and the wife wanted me to get a Corvette.

If I had the means, I'd own a Z/28 and my Z06.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:28 PM
z06vettewannabe
Racer

It's only been three weeks and I really miss the ZR1.......love the Z/28 but the ZR1 is truly a supercar. I need to figure out in a few years how to keep the Z/28 and get a ZR1 back in my garage.....
Old 03-27-2017, 03:47 PM
keeso6z
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

I had a feeling that was going to happen. Kind of hard to replicate a ZR1. They're fast, gorgeous and rare.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:53 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Old 03-28-2017, 10:39 AM
carsangelop
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Cousins
Old 03-28-2017, 05:11 PM
Victor Vargas
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3monkeys
Awesome car!
+1

Old 03-29-2017, 10:52 AM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Not to make you feel worse but the car really is a beast. Give it a little push and it literally jumps through the air.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:28 PM
corvettemonster
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Wait until you drive a Z/28; but, until then, enjoy your ZR1

Last edited by corvettemonster; 03-30-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:10 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by z06vettewannabe
Hey folks, not much to this thread other than to give you my thoughts after selling my 09' ZR1 and getting a 2015 Z/28. I'll start by saying while I don't regret my decision (well, maybe a little) I do miss the ZR1.

My ZR1 was absolutely cherry, immaculate, flawless.....just an amazingly gorgeous car. The reason I sold it is because I've just always wanted a Z/28 for the uniqueness and rarity of the car. I knew I was giving up straight line performance but that wasn't enough of a priority for me not to sell it.

I will say that I was almost sick to my stomach when I watched the new owner drive away in the ZR1. My first thought was, "What the hell did I just do?" The ZR1 is just such a fabulous car in every way......supercar performance, but can be driven every day. Very, very smooth, but unleash the beast and she'll rip any road apart. I was pretty bummed the whole day after I sold the car.

You all know about the ZR1 so nothing more to say.....on to the Z/28.

I'll just get it out of the way, as I mentioned above, a Z/28 is nowhere near a ZR1 in straight line acceleration. It's not slow by any means, but there's no comparison with power at any rpm. What I do love about the Z/28 is how quickly it revs.

Surprisingly, I prefer the exhaust note of the Z/28. I pulled the fuze and it's just so raw and badass sounding. Like a NASCAR. The ZR1 has a great sound also (I had the mild to wild switch on mine), but the Z/28 is just more aggressive.

Handling is pretty close. They both handle phenomenally. One other thing that's shocking....for a car that weighs 500lbs more than a ZR1, the Z/28 steering feels lighter and transitions back and forth are smoother.

The Z/28 beats you up pretty good with its stiff suspension. I do wish it had the magnetic shocks like the ZR1 so I could dial in tour or sport mode. There is a tour/sport option in the Z/28, but it's misleading, it doesn't soften the suspension in any way.

I much prefer the Z/28 short throw shifter. Very precise and super fun. I really like the ZR1 shifter, but the throw is noticeably longer.

Subjective stuff: Appearance I think is really close. They are both badass looking cars. Different obviously but awesome in their own ways. I don't really care about this, but I get about the same number of thumbs up and questions at gas stations with the ZR1 and the Z/28. One thing I will say that the Z/28 has that the ZR1 can't match, and this is very subjective, is the rawness of the car. You can tell the Z/28 was built for one purpose, the track. It's actually an ok street car, drives fine, though again the suspension is a bit stiff. This is where I think the Z/28 is more "me" in the sense that I really like the simplicity of the car. No HUD, manual seats, spartan interior (it's a standard Camaro interior which is fine). It translates to a more visceral connected feel when driving the car. If there was ever a "drivers car" so to speak, then the Z/28 is it. The ZR1 is so smooth, almost too smooth for me (this is so subjective that it's one of those things that for some folks would drive them AWAY from the Z/28, but for me I wanted the raw/aggressive experience).

Again, not much point to this post other than hopefully some interesting reading. In a way this is cathartic for me. I do miss the ZR1, especially the power......man that car is a missile. I did not intend for this to be a "Z/28 vs ZR1" in the sense that one is better than the other. I don't think one is better than the other. They are different cars with a different feel while driving them. I wish I had the means to have them both. I will say this, if I ever go back to a Vette I will be looking for another ZR1. You all own a very special car. Don't let go of them lightly, you might regret it.
get the heads fixed . All ls7's have the problem.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:55 PM
z06vettewannabe
Racer

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
get the heads fixed . All ls7's have the problem.
If GM will pay for it then I will do that, however, to my knowledge they still don't acknowledge the head issue? Powertrain warranty is good through 2020. I don't plan to alter the engine in any way. It will remain 100% stock. After that I'll purchase an extended warranty.

Last edited by z06vettewannabe; 04-02-2017 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:55 AM
z06vettewannabe
Racer

Realizing just how amazing the ZR1 is after selling it. Love the Z/28, but there is nothing like a ZR1.....Supercar performance that you can drive every day. Refinement, looks and power that's incomparable......pure perfection! I really, really miss it......
Old 04-26-2017, 11:07 AM
keeso6z
Burning Brakes

Sounds like some regrets setting in. Oh well, you can always sell the Z/28 and get back onto a ZR1 - it's only money. I have my eye on a ZR1 I would like to have, but need to be contented with my modded C6Z, which is probably just as fast. And lately confused again on whether I would want a C6 ZR1 or a C7 Z06 since they are very close in price now for used ones. Tough call, but I think most would opt for the C7 Z06. The only way to know for sure is to drive them both I think. However, the ZR1 has that cool, rare factor that the C7 Z06 will never have and it has a better chance of appreciating in value down the road. On the other hand, the much nicer interior, advancement in technology and the massive torque of the LT4 it alluring.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:32 PM
z06vettewannabe
Racer

Originally Posted by keeso6z
Sounds like some regrets setting in. Oh well, you can always sell the Z/28 and get back onto a ZR1 - it's only money. I have my eye on a ZR1 I would like to have, but need to be contented with my modded C6Z, which is probably just as fast. And lately confused again on whether I would want a C6 ZR1 or a C7 Z06 since they are very close in price now for used ones. Tough call, but I think most would opt for the C7 Z06. The only way to know for sure is to drive them both I think. However, the ZR1 has that cool, rare factor that the C7 Z06 will never have and it has a better chance of appreciating in value down the road. On the other hand, the much nicer interior, advancement in technology and the massive torque of the LT4 it alluring.
Now that I've owned the Z/28 for a couple of months it's not so much regret, it's more just recognizing how awesome the ZR1 is. I take comfort knowing that ZR1s will be available to buy years from now, and more important, the type of folks that own these cars (enthusiasts) take care of them. I love my Z/28, it's just a matter of figuring out how/when I can get another ZR1 in my garage. I've sat in C7s (including the Z06) and while I do like the interior, the exclusivity of the ZR1 makes it more special (I read another comment about getting a C7 Z06). There are a million Z06s running around, but VERY few ZR1s. Same with the Z/28. Plus, there is a beautiful simplicity about the lines on a C6 Widebody that, for me at least, makes it a better looking car than the C7s (the C7 Z06/Grand Sport are badass looking too). I think I just need to admit I have a car problem.....

Get notified of new replies

To Thoughts after selling my ZR1 for a Z/28

Old 04-26-2017, 01:12 PM
Can'tHave2MuchHP
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 100 Posts

Now that I've owned the Z/28 for a couple of months it's not so much regret, it's more just recognizing how awesome the ZR1 is. I take comfort knowing that ZR1s will be available to buy years from now, and more important, the type of folks that own these cars (enthusiasts) take care of them. I love my Z/28, it's just a matter of figuring out how/when I can get another ZR1 in my garage. I've sat in C7s (including the Z06) and while I do like the interior, the exclusivity of the ZR1 makes it more special (I read another comment about getting a C7 Z06). There are a million Z06s running around, but VERY few ZR1s. Same with the Z/28. Plus, there is a beautiful simplicity about the lines on a C6 Widebody that, for me at least, makes it a better looking car than the C7s (the C7 Z06/Grand Sport are badass looking too). I think I just need to admit I have a car problem.....
I personally would say the Z28 is a downgrade in every way...And I only say that to point out that the ZR1 does everything better except for maybe rarity, but as you said, the ZR1 is ultra rare too. I would have done the 2017 ZL1 over the old Z28 any day, runs a faster time, much faster in a straight line, comfortable, better interior than the ZR1 etc.

Both are sweet but Vette over a Camaro any day. Get back into one if you can!

Last edited by Can'tHave2MuchHP; 04-26-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:52 PM
keeso6z
Burning Brakes

Yep, I can understand that. We get one car and we want another one to add to the collection. The problem is that I also have a retirement savings problem. Going to have to make due with one Corvette. I think it boils down to love the one your with. Most people don't have the luxury of having a Corvette as a toy.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:15 PM
z06vettewannabe
Racer

Originally Posted by corvettes4ever
I personally would say the Z28 is a downgrade in every way...And I only say that to point out that the ZR1 does everything better except for maybe rarity, but as you said, the ZR1 is ultra rare too. I would have done the 2017 ZL1 over the old Z28 any day, runs a faster time, much faster in a straight line, comfortable, better interior than the ZR1 etc.

Both are sweet but Vette over a Camaro any day. Get back into one if you can!
Actually, the ZR1 is not better in every way. The short throw shifter in the Z/28 feels better. The Z/28 turns better.....zero body roll. The Dual Spool Valve dampers in the Z/28 are superior. Braking is the same, both have the Carbon Ceramics. The ZR1 definitely has the motor. I looked at the new ZL1, but it didn't do it for me. The Z/28 gives a visceral feeling the 6th gen Camaros can't match, but that part is 100% subjective. Fully acknowledge the performance upgrade for a new ZL1, but that wasn't my priority. The Z/28 is pure raw driving machine, which is what I wanted. I just need to figure out how to convince the wife to let me have both cars in the garage!

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Thoughts after selling my ZR1 for a Z/28