Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Front splitter replacement instructions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 01:41 PM
CloudLS9
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Front splitter replacement instructions?

I just ordered a Katech replacement front splitter after seeing numerous others recommend Katech in the search results. I did not find any instructions on how to replace the OEM splitter though, just a lot of posts where others are selling splitters or grieving the loss of their splitters. Has anyone made a write up on how to swap this out?

I've tried to be very careful with the low hanging splitter in the ~5 months or so I've had the car.. I even back in to my right end spot here at work every day... but alas, I ended up destroying my splitter this past Friday (on the way out to dinner on my Birthday, Doh!). I was turning in to a poorly lit right end spot from the left and the front corner that hangs out just barely caught and hopped the curb. It made a horrendous sound. The splitter appears trashed, but fortunately no damage to the wheel, bumper or any other part that I can tell. There were a few scuffs and scratches on my front splitter when I got the car, but not bad enough to rationalize replacing...until now On the bright side, it least it will look perfect after replacing for a little while anyways. Hopefully I can keep the Katech in tact for longer.

-Ion
Old 05-15-2017, 02:21 PM
jeolesen
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Ion
I just ordered a Katech replacement front splitter after seeing numerous others recommend Katech in the search results. I did not find any instructions on how to replace the OEM splitter though, just a lot of posts where others are selling splitters or grieving the loss of their splitters. Has anyone made a write up on how to swap this out?

I've tried to be very careful with the low hanging splitter in the ~5 months or so I've had the car.. I even back in to my right end spot here at work every day... but alas, I ended up destroying my splitter this past Friday (on the way out to dinner on my Birthday, Doh!). I was turning in to a poorly lit right end spot from the left and the front corner that hangs out just barely caught and hopped the curb. It made a horrendous sound. The splitter appears trashed, but fortunately no damage to the wheel, bumper or any other part that I can tell. There were a few scuffs and scratches on my front splitter when I got the car, but not bad enough to rationalize replacing...until now On the bright side, it least it will look perfect after replacing for a little while anyways. Hopefully I can keep the Katech in tact for longer.

-Ion

Its straight forward to replace. If you have a set of race ramps or similar to get the front raised a bit then that will be a great help.

Take a look at this diagram:

There are a series of bolts that you need to remove (See #14) then the splitter will come off.
The following users liked this post:
CloudLS9 (05-15-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 02:40 PM
CloudLS9
Racer

Originally Posted by jeolesen
Its straight forward to replace. If you have a set of race ramps or similar to get the front raised a bit then that will be a great help.

Take a look at this diagram:

There are a series of bolts that you need to remove (See #14) then the splitter will come off.
Thanks. I have a Hydraulic floor jack and jack stands, but I doubt the floor jack would fit under the ZR1's low clearance. I'll try and see if I can remove the old splitter without lifting the car 1st while waiting for the new splitter to arrive. If it's a no go, I might have to order wheel ramps.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:45 PM
choppychop
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 265 Posts

Some of the guys around here go with poly or glass splitter, then have it hydro-dipped to look like carbon and then clear coat...
Most of them have busted several splitters.
Good luck!
Old 05-16-2017, 09:48 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

You can also jack up each side, one at a time, and put 4 stands under it. Bought my ZR new in 09 and at 700 miles I split the splitter cleanly right in the middle - you're right about the sound. Thought about replacing it, but I knew if I did, I would ruin it again very quickly.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:51 PM
MLacroix
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ion
Thanks. I have a Hydraulic floor jack and jack stands, but I doubt the floor jack would fit under the ZR1's low clearance. I'll try and see if I can remove the old splitter without lifting the car 1st while waiting for the new splitter to arrive. If it's a no go, I might have to order wheel ramps.
Put down two 1 ft sections of 2X6(or8) lumber with bevel cut ends facing your car. Drive up on them and your jack will fit under the front easily. However, DO NOT lift directly on the Magnesium front engine cradle! It will crack and the replacement cost is astronomical. Use a 2X6 piece to span the width and distribute the load. Good luck.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:04 PM
CloudLS9
Racer

For others who may need to replace their splitter in the future, I had no problem replacing the front lip this weekend without any jacks or ramps.

My driveway has a slight incline, yet my garage floor is flat. By parking my car with the front just barely inside the garage, it provided enough of an angle to see and access the 7mm bolts easily. Also, by not lifting the car, I was able to prop the new splitter on a folded shop blanket to hold it in place while aligning everything and tightening bolts. Had the car been in the air, I might have needed an extra set of hands.

Here is a picture of my curb damaged OEM lip. I had wondered if this was really OEM because it almost looks like a peeling wrap over fiberglass, but there is in fact an OEM GM part label on the bottom.

I placed an order for the Katech splitter on Monday and it showed up on Wednesday. I was surprised they were able to get it to me so quickly. The fit and finish is excellent. It bolted right up with no fitment issues. Here is stocker next to Katech replacement.

Here it is installed on the car. I'm backing in to my parking spots EVERY TIME now to try and keep this one looking nice.

Also.. while I was at it, I touched up a couple minor scratches and chips on each of my OEM carbon fiber side skirts with a black Dr. Colorchip kit left over from a prior black car. I was surprised it worked as well as it did. For those not familiar with Dr. Colorchip, you apply excess paint, let it dry, then wipe away paint with a special solution that leaves paint only in the scratch or chip. When the OEM CF scratches or chips, it looks very light so filling in with black makes any blemishes nearly invisible.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:16 AM
ZR1Cat
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 75 Posts

I am glad to see you got it fixed. Thanks for sharing the information on the katech model and pics.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:37 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

I replaced mine about a month ago. Very easy. Just 13 lag screws with integral washer heads hold it on. Replaced with a Katech unit. Very nice.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:40 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ion
Here is a picture of my curb damaged OEM lip. I had wondered if this was really OEM because it almost looks like a peeling wrap over fiberglass, but there is in fact an OEM GM part label on the bottom.

Very interesting. I broke my OEM splitter into two pieces to dispose of it. CF all the way through.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:29 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

You should break off a piece of that "carbon fiber" and send it to me. I'd love to see it. You could put it in a regular mail envelope and send to 24324 Sorrentino Ct.
Clinton Twp MI 48035

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 05-23-2017, 05:33 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Ion

I have never seen a factory CF splitter look like that. We're replaced a lot of damaged parts for customers and they've never looked like a wrap over the top of fiberglass. I wonder if the previous owner stuck the original GM label on a cheap aftermarket piece.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:02 PM
CloudLS9
Racer

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
I have never seen a factory CF splitter look like that. We're replaced a lot of damaged parts for customers and they've never looked like a wrap over the top of fiberglass. I wonder if the previous owner stuck the original GM label on a cheap aftermarket piece.
I agree the piece I took off looks more like fiberglass. It was smooth on the underside too where as the new Katech piece has a dry carbon weave look on the bottom. I'm not sure what motivation the original owner would have to move the GM sticker over to an aftermarket piece, but I wouldn't put it past Carmax (who sold me the car) to do something like this. I'll see if I can get some closer photos of the underside.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:57 AM
CloudLS9
Racer

I took a closer look at the splitter that came off last night. I think it might be an OEM piece that was previously repaired with some sort of fiberglass resin.

The side that looks to have been previously repaired is where it was damaged & splintered this time. Originally, I thought about trying to do something similar with the stock piece to have around as a spare (patch then wrap), but I'm thinking this may compromise the structural integrity of carbon fiber making it easier to break again. My wife may be right, in suggesting this old splitter belongs in the trash now.

Left underside:

Right underside:

GM part label?:
Old 05-24-2017, 11:39 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

Replacement looks great, OP. Katech sure seems like the way to go. Unlike the horror stories I've read about some other carbon fiber vendors, the splitter looks good, fitment is a non-issue and you got quick and good service. Can't go wrong with any of that.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:38 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ion

GM part label?:
I don't think so. The real GM label has a bar code and is located on the drivers side bottom as I recall.

Get notified of new replies

To Front splitter replacement instructions?

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Front splitter replacement instructions?