Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] The vibration of vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 05:38 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Default The vibration of vibrations

Well I'm 99% sure I damaged the rubber coupler in the torque tube drive shaft. I get a really bad vibration around 3k rpms and up and if I clutch in it disappears. The vibration is so bad that when I went into 5th gear at the 1/2 mile the car freaked out and dumped fuel and closed the throttle body a bit. I already ordered the DSS aluminum solid shaft. I also am very close to the limit of my RPS Triple on the smallest nitrous shot making 1027/1175 on a soft tune so I decided to upgrade the clutch while I have it apart to a Monster Triple RR which is rated for 2000/2000. If anyone is interested in my clutch I'm asking $2800 obo. Clutch has only 4k miles on it which a majority were break in miles, 2 trips to the 1/4 and two 1/2 mile visits so it should have virtually no wear on it. Clutch will not be available till sometime in July due to waiting on the shaft and getting the car into the shop.

Last edited by whatcop?; 05-25-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:30 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

I heard RPS drives like **** comapred to Mantic, is that true??
Old 05-28-2017, 07:07 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by timmyZ06
I heard RPS drives like **** comapred to Mantic, is that true??
Drives like stock to me
Old 06-01-2017, 11:12 AM
INTRCUL
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

dang, sorry to hear this.

Are you clutching in while not moving? Might want to try the same thing while moving to isolate if it's the shaft or not. If the tranny is in gear while moving and you clutch in the DS is still spinning and should still have the vibration if spinning fast enough.

Also, if you're cruising on the highway at 70mph you should be around 2000rpm with no vibration. Drop to 2nd gear which should put you near 5000rpm and the vibration should be back. If something is out of balance it'll vibrate at key rpms but if you something binding it might only do it under load as well.

I *think* that at speed, if you clutch in and put the tranny in neutral, the DS should basically stop spinning. Just trying to brainstorm things to try to better isolate which moving part is the problem before you tear back into it.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:05 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by INTRCUL
dang, sorry to hear this.

Are you clutching in while not moving? Might want to try the same thing while moving to isolate if it's the shaft or not. If the tranny is in gear while moving and you clutch in the DS is still spinning and should still have the vibration if spinning fast enough.

Also, if you're cruising on the highway at 70mph you should be around 2000rpm with no vibration. Drop to 2nd gear which should put you near 5000rpm and the vibration should be back. If something is out of balance it'll vibrate at key rpms but if you something binding it might only do it under load as well.

I *think* that at speed, if you clutch in and put the tranny in neutral, the DS should basically stop spinning. Just trying to brainstorm things to try to better isolate which moving part is the problem before you tear back into it.
You nailed it because that's all the symptoms it has so its definitely driveshaft. Ordered the new one already so just waiting on it to come in.

Get notified of new replies

To The vibration of vibrations

Quick Reply: [ZR1] The vibration of vibrations