Notices
C6 Corvettes for Sale Private Classifieds, Used C6 Corvettes For Sale, and Modified or Stock Corvettes

Dario Franchitti retires, citing injury from Houston wreck

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 05:04 PM
ZO ZICK
Team Owner

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Default Dario Franchitti retires, citing injury from Houston wreck

Three-time Indy 500 champion and four-time IndyCar series champion Dario Franchitti, injured in a wreck several weeks ago, has decided to retire.

"One month removed from the crash and based upon the expert advice of the doctors who have treated and assessed my head and spinal injuries post accident, it is their best medical opinion that I must stop racing," Franchitti said in a statement. "They have made it very clear that the risks involved in further racing are too great and could be detrimental to my long term well-being. Based on this medical advice, I have no choice but to stop."

Franchitti conceded that leaving racing in this way was difficult, but he hopes to stay involved with open-wheel racing in general and his current team in particular.

"What’s both impressive and unique about Dario is that he has always been a student of racing, someone who not only appreciates the actual science of the sport but also the rich heritage of those racers that have gone before him," said Chip Ganassi, Franchitti's team owner. "This news only serves as the start of next chapter in Dario Franchitti’s racing career – which I expect will be here with Target Chip Ganassi Racing.”

Franchitti leaves the sport a legend. His three titles are second only to AJ Foyt's four. He has won prestigious races across the board, including the 12 Hours of Sebring, the Indianapolis 500, an open wheel title and the Rolex 24 At Daytona consecutively. No other driver has achieved that feat in succession.

Franchitti will recover in Scotland and speak publicly at a later date
Old 11-14-2013, 06:14 PM
01VETTECOP
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Wrong Section !
Old 11-14-2013, 06:14 PM
artz66
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Think you wandered out of CFOT when you posted this
Close some of your open browsers and you will not be as confused as to what section you are in

Old 11-14-2013, 06:27 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Who knows... Maybe Dario's gonna sell his car now...

Get notified of new replies

To Dario Franchitti retires, citing injury from Houston wreck

Quick Reply: Dario Franchitti retires, citing injury from Houston wreck