Notices
C6 Corvettes for Sale Private Classifieds, Used C6 Corvettes For Sale, and Modified or Stock Corvettes

FS: Pricing valuation? C5's & C6's?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 12:09 PM
Toddolie
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Pricing valuation? C5's & C6's?

So I'm in the market for a C5 Z06 or maybe a C6 and have scoured countless ads and have come to the conclusion there is no real world value for these cars, just whatever the market can bear. For example, obviously 2002 or 2004 Z06's are rather old at this point, so something with low or very low miles doesn't necessarily add a whole lot of value when it is supposed to have higher mileage just based on the year. How do you put a price on that? How are you supposed to know what is fair and reasonable vs someone's price if FIRM because they paid to much or don't understand depreciation? Am I wrong to correlate perceived value which is what I could get if I were forced to trade it in or sell it shortly after buying it on sites like KBB.com? Cross posted.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:24 PM
C666
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It's hard have to look at what's for sale and what's selling I'm looking for an 08-11 base or possibly GS most are 5-10k over priced.

I keep a spreadsheet of anything that looks like a good deal or has sold most reasonable mileage 08s are asking ~26 but selling for much less

​​​​​​​

Last edited by C666; 11-26-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:26 PM
C666
Instructor

And the ones listed 13-22k seem to sell quickly I assume that most sell for less then asking
​​​​​​​

Last edited by C666; 11-26-2017 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:31 PM
C666
Instructor

If only there could be two for sale sections overpriced and realistic there are alot of great deals on C6 Zs here and a few others
Old 11-26-2017, 06:23 PM
FSM81
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C666
If only there could be two for sale sections overpriced and realistic there are alot of great deals on C6 Zs here and a few others
I'm not talking about this forum specifically, but I've noticed that there are a lot of cars "for sale" that I don't think are actually for sale. People have completely unrealistic prices on the car. It makes me think that their SO wants them to sell it.

Anyway there's also been a big fluctuation in pricing. I walked away from a 48k mile 3LT 08 C6 for $24k over a year ago, and that would be a good deal now. I did see some similar/better deals around that time, but it's been hard to find something like that now. I'm just going to wait until next year and will likely get a C7 instead.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:35 PM
C666
Instructor

I agree... and with C7 prices below 40 they are a better deal then 10 year old C6s I sold my 06 with the plans to buy an 08 when I found a nice low mileage 1lt for 20k at 25-28 I want a GS and 30 a Z06

​​​​​​​
Old 11-26-2017, 07:16 PM
cbrtrx
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Obviously mileage, color and options play a huge role in price. Other times people unfortunately owe way more then it's worth and they are trying to break even. Then some people just think their car is worth double of everyone elses. Like with any market good deals can be had but I think some people are just too frugal and not realistic. I have a friend that's been looking for that "great deal" now for 2 years, he has had a dozen deals fall through because they just weren't right to him. Some that were just $1k away from what he wanted to pay. If he really wanted one he'd have one it's just that simple. Why wait for that magical deal that may never come along when you can be driving the car you want now? If you're that frugal of a buyer then you're really not a buyer.
The following users liked this post:
dcooper23 (12-18-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 07:28 PM
Gryphon_
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I just paid $28k from a dealer for a traded in C6 3LT auto with 39k miles and solid history. They gave it the full checkover and service so I'm happy with what I paid, which is about $2k over KBB. Dealer said he had another guy calling after it a few hours after I bought it and never expected to hang onto it for more than a few days.

A lot depends on where you are; I'm in the Los Angeles area where good stuff, especially trade-ins, will go fast. If you are prepared to travel a few hundred miles to see a car in a rural area, and know how to inspect it yourself, then you'll save a few k.

If you buy on ebay or any auction you are probably buying trouble.

I spent a week weeks looking at prices and found cargurus and autotrader were the best data source.

Last edited by Gryphon_; 11-26-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:58 PM
C666
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gryphon_
I just paid $28k from a dealer for a traded in C6 3LT auto with 39k miles and solid history. They gave it the full checkover and service so I'm happy with what I paid, which is about $2k over KBB. Dealer said he had another guy calling after it a few hours after I bought it and never expected to hang onto it for more than a few days.

A lot depends on where you are; I'm in the Los Angeles area where good stuff, especially trade-ins, will go fast. If you are prepared to travel a few hundred miles to see a car in a rural area, and know how to inspect it yourself, then you'll save a few k.

If you buy on ebay or any auction you are probably buying trouble.

I spent a week weeks looking at prices and found cargurus and autotrader were the best data source.
​​​​​​​Wish I could have sold you mine would have delivered it, I flew to OH to save 5k and it was a great experience for my last C6 told the local dealer I would pay 1k more here for the deal I had in writing but they just wait for somone willing to pay over msrp low volume high markup cargurus seem to have some fake ads is autotrader better?
Old 11-26-2017, 10:06 PM
C666
Instructor

Originally Posted by cbrtrx
Obviously mileage, color and options play a huge role in price. Other times people unfortunately owe way more then it's worth and they are trying to break even. Then some people just think their car is worth double of everyone elses. Like with any market good deals can be had but I think some people are just too frugal and not realistic. I have a friend that's been looking for that "great deal" now for 2 years, he has had a dozen deals fall through because they just weren't right to him. Some that were just $1k away from what he wanted to pay. If he really wanted one he'd have one it's just that simple. Why wait for that magical deal that may never come along when you can be driving the car you want now? If you're that frugal of a buyer then you're really not a buyer.
​​​​​​​If the exact car he wants is only 1k away then he is not a buyer but if he is looking for what he wants at a reasonable price then wait don't settle most of us will pay for the car we want but most won't go to a dealer and say 6k is nothing take it
Old 11-27-2017, 12:19 AM
Gryphon_
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Wish I could have sold you mine would have delivered it, I flew to OH to save 5k and it was a great experience for my last C6 told the local dealer I would pay 1k more here for the deal I had in writing but they just wait for somone willing to pay over msrp low volume high markup cargurus seem to have some fake ads is autotrader better?
Cargurus ads are solid. The only odd ones were those marked 'coming soon'. What I learned was that the 'Coming Soon' ads are the trade-ins that are yet to be serviced and prepped for sale. First one, I missed. Second one, I showed up early on a Saturday and arm-twisted my way to a test drive - it was the exact car I wanted and I had the Carfax from the VIN. We did a deal, they then did the service and prep while I went and got the wife to come back and pick it up. Most of the 'coming soon' cars are sold before the real photo appears.

cargurus is almost all dealer stock and they are very up to date. Autotrader is good also, but some sellers don't take down their ads when car sells. Craigslist - well you are lucky to get a response from the seller at all

Last edited by Gryphon_; 11-27-2017 at 12:20 AM.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:48 AM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

I agree! Everyone likes to play games. Why can they just list them for what it's worth. That's what I do when I sell a car and usually sell it within days only getting one or two lowballs. When priced correctly, buyers know that and they will pull the trigger right away. When someone advertises a car with 150k in excellent condition, it's priced high so there is room to negotiate, the seller is wasting not only their time but the buyers as well.
I've stopped dealing with those sellers. Nothing is in excellent condition once it's title and driven.
As far as I'm concerned. Most cars are only in good condition at best. About high mileage car? yes, these cars will last well into the 200k but only with proper maintenance. A car with 150k will soon need a clutch if manual, the wheel hub will need replacing soon as well and many other things. Just a new clutch and hubs will run between 4 -6k.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:52 AM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Toddolie
So I'm in the market for a C5 Z06 or maybe a C6 and have scoured countless ads and have come to the conclusion there is no real world value for these cars, just whatever the market can bear. For example, obviously 2002 or 2004 Z06's are rather old at this point, so something with low or very low miles doesn't necessarily add a whole lot of value when it is supposed to have higher mileage just based on the year. How do you put a price on that? How are you supposed to know what is fair and reasonable vs someone's price if FIRM because they paid to much or don't understand depreciation? Am I wrong to correlate perceived value which is what I could get if I were forced to trade it in or sell it shortly after buying it on sites like KBB.com? Cross posted.
I know what you mean, have been dealing with it as well. I look at it this way, Car is worth what either kbb or Black book has it listed at. With 99% of the car being rated as in good condition. The other 1% are cpo cars......if you can find one!.

Last edited by Dale002; 11-28-2017 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:25 AM
FirstC4
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Deals are still out there. A few weeks ago I passed on a 1-owner, Jetstream Blue, 21k mile '08 3LT, NPP, MN6, no nav for $23.5k
Old 11-27-2017, 04:10 PM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 393 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by FirstC4
Deals are still out there. A few weeks ago I passed on a 1-owner, Jetstream Blue, 21k mile '08 3LT, NPP, MN6, no nav for $23.5k
Good luck finding a better deal than that.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:35 PM
Fredro Starr
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cadyshac
Good luck finding a better deal than that.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:07 PM
Builder2010
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good thread at the right time. I'm seriously thinking about an 08-11 C-6 and do see lots and lots of price variation. It was a good discussion re: what the best sources are. I've been leaning to dealer stock for the reasons mentioned. I just have one person I really need to sell. She is really not happy thinking about me and a Vette. Life is too short! I'm 72. We just had a very dear friend die at 75. We'll all on borrowed time and I'm waited long enough.

Pulling out a shopping center yesterday I was greeted by a caravan of Vettes parading up KY 42. There were lots of 7s, some 6s, a few 5s and one or two older than that. It made my day.

Get notified of new replies

To Pricing valuation? C5's & C6's?

Old 11-27-2017, 09:43 PM
c6crazy
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Builder2010
Good thread at the right time. I'm seriously thinking about an 08-11 C-6 and do see lots and lots of price variation. It was a good discussion re: what the best sources are. I've been leaning to dealer stock for the reasons mentioned. I just have one person I really need to sell. She is really not happy thinking about me and a Vette. Life is too short! I'm 72. We just had a very dear friend die at 75. We'll all on borrowed time and I'm waited long enough.

Pulling out a shopping center yesterday I was greeted by a caravan of Vettes parading up KY 42. There were lots of 7s, some 6s, a few 5s and one or two older than that. It made my day.
Make that dream happen, you are never too old. I nearly lost my life in an motorcycle accident ( lady not paying attention forced me off the road) I look at life differently and in the process of upgrading goodies on my 05 Sunset Orange coupe. Vett clubs are the best, she will meet other women and enjoy the adventure on each trip you take.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:10 AM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 393 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

If you have the means to get a Vette Do IT!!! Not sure where you are in KY but I am up in N KY, waited 54 years to get my first and wish I had not waited so long! We have some great roads for a nice cruise here in the bluegrass and nothing I have ever owned (Chevelle, SS Camaro, etc.) compares to the feel of a vette! As far as pricing, that is up to the buyer/seller but around here quality C6's still command a decent price, I wasn't interested in buying a fixer upper or something with high miles or mods when I bought mine.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:52 AM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Do yourself a favor and find one. You have waited too long.You won't regret it.

Quick Reply: FS: Pricing valuation? C5's & C6's?