Notices
C6 Corvettes for Sale Private Classifieds, Used C6 Corvettes For Sale, and Modified or Stock Corvettes

FS: Buying/Shipping of cars for sale out of state ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 04:02 PM
renegade123
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
Renegade.

Where are you at in FL? I’m on the Treasure Coast. You need a copilot to drive the new one home?

I’ll be in Sarasota next week but after that I could perhaps assist.

Thanks bro, many thanks for the offer. Might just hit you up when I find another good deal. BTW, i'm in Clearwater area
Old 08-02-2018, 04:35 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,963 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Originally Posted by renegade123
Thanks bro, many thanks for the offer. Might just hit you up when I find another good deal. BTW, i'm in Clearwater area
feel free
Old 08-02-2018, 06:34 PM
croatbob
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I've bought sight unseen and shipped before. Escrow money to be safe. Just make sure the car is legit and the person. I usually paid someone I knew local to the vehicle to check it out on my behalf. If they approved I purchased
Old 08-02-2018, 11:34 PM
rockinSeat
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

I bought a car sight unseen from my brother in law who works at the dealer. I told him I wait for a low mileage cherry trade in. I had the car shipped over. When I got it, it was missing floor mats, the tires were bald, and the car had a six inch key mark at eye level on a door. It hadn't been detailed, so I cleaned it up...the battery died in my driveway. Lesson learned....never buy sight unseen even from your own relatives.

I bought a newer lower mileage cherry from my local dealer for less money a couple years later.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:46 AM
bp92gsr
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

That sucks bro....Alot of dough to be shelling out, then dealing with that garbage.Sorry to hear, hope you got it worked out in the end
Out of curiousity why does your ZR1 have Z06 fenders?
Old 08-03-2018, 09:40 AM
ccryder
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by bp92gsr
Out of curiousity why does your ZR1 have Z06 fenders?
Looks like a pic of his rear fender/busted CF side skirt to me....IE: same rear fenders on the C6 ZR1 & Z06

Last edited by ccryder; 08-03-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:43 AM
bp92gsr
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ccryder

Looks like a pic of his rear fender/busted CF side skirt to me....IE: same rear fenders on the C6 ZR1 & Z06

actually yes I see it now. Ty
Old 08-03-2018, 02:30 PM
Yanper
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I am actually going through the same ordeal here from FL. I was recommended a broker that someone i know used before to ship a car. So far the person is very communicative and he was able to source a company to pick up a Z im buying at a good price which was a company hes used in the past and vouched for. Once this deal goes through by this weekend i can share my experience with you and provide you with his contact info. But as others have stated, i am flying out to see the car 1200 miles away before handing someone 35k without putting eyes on it. Spend $300 to avoid a tragedy.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:28 PM
dereknel015
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys fought like a bunch of 12 year Olds haha

Originally Posted by MOONSLT1
Bought my ZR1 in Arizona, went and inspected it thoroughly, drove it and had it shipped to South Carolina.
My story on the shipping is a horror show. Be very careful who you choose. read my link below ! ! !

http://www.peopleclaim.com/complaint...odi-nj-1240399

Carbon Fiber side skirts broken on both sides
Old 08-04-2018, 05:39 AM
MOONSLT1
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Maybe so, but I got all my money out of that SOB !
Old 08-04-2018, 11:12 AM
NeverTooLate
5th Gear
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little bit of experience

Have been looking on here for a while to pick up a c6z , but most of the good deals are out of state. Any of you guys that purchase sight unseen and have it shipped have some advice for someone that has never done this ? How does payment work etc, kinda leery of paying for something sight unseen, then there is the whole shipping issue,possible damage in transit etc.This is pertaining to C6Z's for sale in this forum , so I hope it does not get deleted .The whole traveling 1500 miles to get a good deal is just not convenient for many of us on here I think.. Thanks in advance. Please post only from those who have experience in this form of purchasing, appreciate it
I have bought cars from out of state on 3 different occasions. Once, from a dealer, and twice from individuals. I have never used a shipping service, so I can't speak to that, I've always felt, it's worth taking the time to fly to where the car is, and have a get acquainted drive on the way home. I just did this with my (new to me) 2010 Grand Sport. The main thing, if you are going to go, is to be prepared NOT to buy. I used refundable airline tickets. They cost more, but if all goes well, you're going to cash it back in anyway. I know not everyone has the vacation time to fly off and buy a car, but in regard to the monetary resources my guess is, if you've got the $$$ to buy a Z06, you've got the money to have an adventure with your new buddy.It would have cost $1500 or so to get my GS delivered from eastern PA to the bay area in CA. I did the trip for a little less than that, and had a ball.

In regard to documents, make sure you have proof of insurance, signed title, a bill of sale, and you should be good. My first time doing this, I had flown from Chicago to Boston to pick up a 1971 Torino. I was unable to get a temporary tag from Illinois or Massachusetts. I had the 3 documents I mentioned, and did fine.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, PM me.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:27 AM
jbk0018
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How is sales tax handled when buying out of state. Colorado seller, Dallas buyer.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:34 AM
CarterRuss
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by jbk0018
How is sales tax handled when buying out of state. Colorado seller, Dallas buyer.
Buyer pays where he registers the car. So if he registers in Texas, he pays whatever their sales tax is upon registration.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:06 PM
NeverTooLate
5th Gear
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just as CarterRuss said.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:52 PM
Yanper
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My shipping experience was good. $700 1200 miles total distance. It was an open carrier and he loaded my car last due to it being the lowest. If you want my contact pm me id recommend him.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:27 PM
CamarosRus
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 600 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I bought my 2012 Inferno Orange from Brad B...aka Bartsky on this Forum out of Ft Worth, TX

I asked Brad a Ton of Questions who is a real enthusiast of late model Vettes
In this particular case I developed a repoire and a trust for my seller

My credit union checked out Brad's bank and business before they would wire xfer the funds

Brad has connections to use a members only website (??) where you place your load info
and price and trucker members respond if they are willing to take your bid price
or negotiate higher ?? I paid $1000 from Ft Worth, TX to Seattle using a small non enclosed
carrier (good weather) call WINWIN Auto Transport out of Michigan.... They had good ratings
so we used them with zero issues....The entire load of 7 cars was coming to WA state and
my car was NOT moved on/off truck at any point.

Maybe I was lucky, maybe we (seller/myself) made good choices but I was pleased with
outcome.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:57 PM
renegade123
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

Good info bros...Looks like a mixed bunch of opinions, but some have had good results with shipping it appears.For me the part that causes the most anxiety is trusting a stranger 1-2k miles away with $30-$40k of your hard earned $
Old 08-10-2018, 03:51 PM
99Hawk262
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I agree with the folks saying fly there and drive it back...I did this with my first Z06. Bought it in Mississippi and drove it back to Colorado (in the winter nonetheless, lol). It was a great road trip, averaged 28 MPG, and really gave me some time to get familiar with the car. They travel well, and they're actually quite comfortable. I even got pulled over in Kansas (damn on ramps). Younger cop was very cool, let me go with a warning. I was bored, had just stopped for gas, and as I was turning on to the on ramp, I saw a semi coming and thought, "Hmm, I can certainly beat him no problem." Well, at 92 mph, right as I came up onto 70, the state trooper was sitting literally right there. I had pulled the car over and shut it down before he even got off the median, lol.

Road trips are great, and the peace of mind seeing it in person is priceless. Some of these cars have been ragged out, and might need a lot of TLC like new rotors or pads, new tires, a good detail, etc. I looked at several before buying my current 2007, and some of them were pretty bad. Of course, I'm a perfectionist when it comes to my cars, but what's acceptable to some (seller), isn't necessarily acceptable to you.

Last edited by 99Hawk262; 08-10-2018 at 03:52 PM.

Quick Reply: FS: Buying/Shipping of cars for sale out of state ???