Notices
C6 Corvettes for Sale Private Classifieds, Used C6 Corvettes For Sale, and Modified or Stock Corvettes

Who will sell me a C6 to import intothe UK?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 05:07 PM
Ray Robson
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who will sell me a C6 to import intothe UK?

I am a C5 2000 model owner in the UK. This was purchased from a GM dealer over here but GM do not sell Vets over here any more.

I am told by one forum dealer that (and I quote):-

"I am sorry but per our agreement with GM we are not allowed to export New Corvettes out of the US. You would need a valid US address and drivers Lic. for me to be able to sell you one."

I have my son living and working in New York until late September 2004 when he comes back to the UK. He has the required address and is currently looking into getting his US drivers licence. I don't care if the car goes in his name (and neither does he!!!).

$s are in the bank ready to go. Can anybody help?

Ray Robson

Old 01-26-2004, 11:40 PM
THE8SAINT
6th Gear

Default Re: Who will sell me a C6 to import intothe UK? (Ray Robson)

how much did you pay to ship the car to U.K. and for the taxes? i have a friend who is moving to U.K. and want to know if he can take the car with him.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:55 PM
Ray Robson
4th Gear

Default Re: Who will sell me a C6 to import intothe UK? (THE8SAINT)

My C5 was purchased in UK from a GM dealer, but they do not sell tehm anymore.

To help you friend I have researched the follwoing web sites which I suggest he looks up:-

Importing
http://www.vca.gov.uk/faq/importing. Then go to FAQ and then Quick linke to Importing a vehicle.
http://www.britainusa.com/faq. Under 'Catergories' go to Motor Vehicle.

Shipping - Quotes can be obtianed from:-
http://www.movermax.com/request
http://www.budget-shipping.co.uk

I have no knpowledge of these businesses, all I have done is searched the web.

Best of luck.

Ray

Old 01-29-2004, 10:56 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Ray,

It appears that some of the design changes to the C6 where to make it more appealing to the European market. I know waiting is dangerous with your son here and ready to go on a deal, but the new C6 may be available in Europe in higher volume than Corvette's before it.

Todd
Old 02-01-2004, 03:54 PM
jjcslynn
Pro

Default Re: Who will sell me a C6 to import intothe UK? (THE8SAINT)

Shipping a car to the UK is only $600-$1000. If you are planning on keeping the car over here, you can do what called a "Transfer of Residence". If you keep the car for 1 year, it becomes tax paid. Otherwise, you have to pay up to 28% of what the UK Customs and Excise values the car at. In 1990, I brought a 1979 vette into the UK. I paid about $3000 for it, but when I sold it over here 8 months later, I had to pay almost $4000 in taxes.

Ray,
Have you tried American Dream? I know a guy in Manchester that was talking to them about a C6. You'll have to do some mods to meet UK regulations, though.

[Modified by jjcslynn, 8:56 PM 2/1/2004]
Old 02-01-2004, 04:44 PM
Ray Robson
4th Gear

Default Re: Who will sell me a C6 to import intothe UK? (BLK 98WS6)

Todd,

I am aware the car now has some features which lends itself to the European market. eg The rear number plate slot can take our elongated plates and there are side indicators.

Whilst GM would appear to be looking to attract the European market, I don't know whether they will bother withe UK having pulled out a couple of years ago.

Obviously on the UK we are right hand drive and the lights would need to be altered and it is unlikely GM will do a right hand drive version, but actually I find the left hand drive an advantage. My car is my office and I do a lot a writing in it, so my papers are on my right side.

The main issue for me is likely to be SVA (Singler Vehilce Approval), which is required when only small numbers of a car type are brought into the UK individually. Whislt most issues are not a probalm the frequency of the keyless entry may prevent a US model getting SVA approval.

Anyway, the kid popped back to the UK for the weekend and we have just put him back on his plane to NY. He has done his research and the first thing he is doing when he gets back is to go for his US drivers licence. So at least we have that problem being dealt with.

Another problem is I do not except much help from dealers, not only because they are not able to export, but why should they look to assist a problem case like me when they can sell all the cars they can get your side of the pond? Hoever, I'm a beleiver that where there's a will there's a way - and I'm working on it.

Ray

Old 02-01-2004, 05:14 PM
Ray Robson
4th Gear

Default Re: Who will sell me a C6 to import intothe UK? (jjcslynn)

Hi jjcslynn

Regarding the tax paid - Ouch!!!

My current understanding of Her Majesty's cut in any transaction is that if you have been out of the country for 12 months and owned and driven the car for more than 6 months, then she's out of luck. (As you say, her cut is about 28%). And obviously he would have to keep it for a year otherwise Her Majesty would come knocking on the door looking for her cut - like she did with you!

The kid is in US for a year, has the required address and will have his US drivers licance in due course, so he will comply with GM's criteria and a dealer could rightfully sell to him.

The problem being he would need the car before the end of September 2004!

So if there was a dealer who has a place on their list for a September 2004 delivery, we cold be in business.

We have access to a garage in Florida where we could park the car up for a few months before shipping it across the pond.

Also, one of my managers brother lives in Florida and it may be he goes on a list and buys the car for us. Believe me we're working on it!

Ray
Old 02-03-2004, 01:42 PM
steveT-UK
Instructor

I am looking for a C5 03 to bring into the UK ,I have been quoted £960 for shipping but that is from a UK firm.
If you have owned and used the car in the States for 6 months you dont pay the 10% import duty just the vat of 17.5% .for the sva conversion you will need the rear indicators changeing and a rear fog light and front H/lights altering and side repaeters also quoted £700.00 which included the £160.00 for the sva .
Also believe that GM are thinking of exporting to the UK. ;)
Old 02-27-2004, 05:36 PM
Diego M
Team Owner

Default Re: Who will sell me a C6 to import intothe UK? (steveT-UK)

http://www.chevroleteurope.com/corve...n_xx_index.htm
Old 02-27-2004, 06:36 PM
brit vet
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 267 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13

Default Re: Who will sell me a C6 to import intothe UK? (jjcslynn)

Shipping a car to the UK is only $600-$1000. If you are planning on keeping the car over here, you can do what called a "Transfer of Residence". If you keep the car for 1 year, it becomes tax paid. Otherwise, you have to pay up to 28% of what the UK Customs and Excise values the car at. In 1990, I brought a 1979 vette into the UK. I paid about $3000 for it, but when I sold it over here 8 months later, I had to pay almost $4000 in taxes.

Ray,
Have you tried American Dream? I know a guy in Manchester that was talking to them about a C6. You'll have to do some mods to meet UK regulations, though.

[Modified by jjcslynn, 8:56 PM 2/1/2004]
Ray, American Dreams have six C6 cars on order i believe. But they are US spec and will need several mods to meet UK legislation. I too tried (not to hard) to secure a C6 through an American outlet without success. Best of luck. If you find a loophole let me Know. At present I'm prepaired to wait until 2005 for a UK spec car.

Get notified of new replies

To Who will sell me a C6 to import intothe UK?

Quick Reply: Who will sell me a C6 to import intothe UK?