Notices
C6 Corvettes for Sale Private Classifieds, Used C6 Corvettes For Sale, and Modified or Stock Corvettes

ANY DEALERS WILLING TO ORDER FOR A CANADIAN?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 08:28 PM
SOMC6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ANY DEALERS WILLING TO ORDER FOR A CANADIAN?

Well I have a friend who owns a Pontiac/Caddy dealership up here and he has been saying he would be able to get us an order on C6 for sometime, anyways today he calls up and says none of his contacts are going to have more than 2-3 cars alloted and do not want to order for him. Anyways I am askin around to some more local dealers and such, but am also wondering if any US dealers know if this would work and if they would ship it up to Canada for us. Please let me know. Thanks a lot.

Matt
....order ready and waiting
Old 05-23-2004, 05:16 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: ANY DEALERS WILLING TO ORDER FOR A CANADIAN? (SOMC6)

I've been told US dealers can not sell a new car to Canada. Now, if you could find a used or "pre-owned" car, that would be different.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:43 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Default Re: ANY DEALERS WILLING TO ORDER FOR A CANADIAN? (Miaugi)

I've been told US dealers can not sell a new car to Canada. Now, if you could find a used or "pre-owned" car, that would be different.
Yeah....it's kinda like "don't feed the Canadians, eh ? "

Sorry.
Old 06-09-2004, 07:38 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

If you can stay away from the hype there will be plenty available for thousands less. Look at all the hype of the C5 when it came out, and you look back and all it was, was a 97 C5, nothing special anymore, the lowest value of all the C5's. But if you can't wait, if you are willing to spend enough, some dealer will give you one right away.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:30 PM
SOMC6
Advanced

I found a dealership in london through another friend who owns a Chrysler dealership. I put an order into MacAllister Chev Olds in London who get a decent allotment of vettes and also have the only Caddy-Hummer Dealership specifically in Canada. Anyways I have decided that although the C6 is new in many ways, the car is essentially a C5 with a different skin and interior so I am not worried about ride or power quirks. BRING ON THE C6!
Old 06-10-2004, 06:35 PM
Habsrule
Advanced

Wilson Niblett Motors in richmond Hill, Ontario is the largest Corvette dealer in Canada, by far, and has significant allotment numbers still available. Anyone in Canada, especially in Ontario, looking for a C6 that wants to be sure of getting a car, not a story, should be contacting Darryl Atkinson at Wilson Niblett Motors.
Old 06-10-2004, 06:37 PM
Habsrule
Advanced

What is MacAllister's allotment? If they won't tell you, it is because it is 2 or 3 cars, which is likely. Good luck! The car should be awesome. You should have a build number by Monday, the 14th, if you don't they are playing games
Old 06-10-2004, 06:41 PM
Habsrule
Advanced

Default Re: ANY DEALERS WILLING TO ORDER FOR A CANADIAN? (Miaugi)

You are correct. GM dealers are prohibitedby their franchise agreements from selling for export, either US dealers to Canadian or European customers, or Canadian dealers to US customers, which was a much bigger problem when the USD was worth 1.5 Canuck Bucks. This is to protect border dealers from losing business to dealers with better tax situations or exchange advantages. Prices also do not reflect exactly with exchange rates, so some cars are just better deals in one country over the other.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:25 PM
dhoshowski
Intermediate

Default Re: ANY DEALERS WILLING TO ORDER FOR A CANADIAN? (Habsrule)

Did you hear this directly from GM or from a US dealer? I'm in Edmonton and I was close to buying a C5 from a dealer in Montana. He had preliminarily talked to GM about this and they did not indicate to him that he couldn't sell it to me.

Also if you have heard this directly from GM/US Dealer is it considered an export if the Canadian customer picks up the car in the US and brings it across the border himself.

What ever happened to NAFTA?
Old 06-10-2004, 07:54 PM
Habsrule
Advanced

Default Re: ANY DEALERS WILLING TO ORDER FOR A CANADIAN? (dhoshowski)

I work at a Canadian dealer, and the restriction is the same both ways. NAFTA has no bearing, as it si superceded by the franchise agreement with GM. This is not to say that a GM dealer in Canada won't sell to an American, or vice versa, only that they are not supposed to do so. GM can void your warranty if they catch a car in a country it isn't supposed to be in. This only applies to new cars of course, cars more than 6 months old with more than 12,000 kms. do not apply.
The key to determining if it is an export has nothing to do with where it is picked up, but with where it is registered. If a dealer in Canada sells a car, and is not registering it in Canada, they are in trouble with GM, and if they register it locally, only to have it appear in the US days later, they can be charged back significant sums of money, and the warranty on the car can be voided. This applies for US dealers as well.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:34 AM
Michrider
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On out of country sales - Vehicle gets the warranty voided, Dealer gets the franchise agreement voided.

Yes it does happen, some get caught, some get through. Not worth the risk to either party. Same thing happens on anything popular - Harleys, Snowmobiles...

Old 06-24-2004, 08:03 PM
dhoshowski
Intermediate

Default Re: ANY DEALERS WILLING TO ORDER FOR A CANADIAN? (Michrider)

I still don't buy this. I've found a few US dealers now that are willing to sell to me. Also, look what's on E-Bay below in the shipping information.

Where did you get your info?
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...482960242&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...482544037&rd=1
Old 06-24-2004, 08:24 PM
Habsrule
Advanced

I work for a GM Dealer in the sales department. You can certainly buy one, there is no prohibition from doing so, and it isn't illegal. If GM catches the dealer doing it, they will be charged back a significant sum of money, and lose future allotment for the affected vehicle line. Any GM dealer willing to sell a C6 to an exporter would have to either have rocks in their head, or an allotment so small that the risk of losing it was no a big threat. Of course, many of those dealer smight actually not be able to fill the order you give them for quite a while.
And, by the way, the only risk to you is if GM finds a car sold new in the US magically appearing for service or warranty in Canada, they will void your warranty, permanently, and brand your car as exported, which makes it very difficult to sell before the warranty would normally expire.

You must be really saving thousands and thousands of dollars, which I find hard to believe, given current exchange, and no sales tax in Alberta.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:30 PM
Habsrule
Advanced

Read the shipping information again, US Mexico, does not say Canada. And that is not a C6, very little risk of losing C5 allotment at this time. Besides, they are probably willing to take the risk to get rid of it. That does not eliminate the risk you take of owning a car with no warranty, and little resale value for at least 3 years.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:48 AM
dhoshowski
Intermediate

Last time I checked Canada was still within North America.

I'll do some basic math for you:

Prices taken off following thread
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=846556

Z16's MSRP = $57,320 - 12,000 = $45,320 US

Current exchange rate = 1.35US/Cdn dollar

$45,320 * 1.35 = $61,182 Cdn

A base coupe starts at $69K+ in Canada and dealers don't discount them that much off MSRP. They gouge you. So on a high end car compared to the base coupe thats $8K in savings. What would the Z16 cost you in Canada? 75 - 80K+

Check out <A HREF="http://www.riv.ca" TARGET="_blank">http://www.riv.ca</a> they don't say anything about not being able to import from the US as they list the 2004 Corvette as being eligible for import.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:20 AM
Habsrule
Advanced

You are missing the point. The car is eligible to be imported, just not to be sold for export by a US dealer. You can buy a car in the US, just not a new one, according to dealership agreements with GM.

As to price, if you haven't found a dealer to sell you below list, my sympathies, but don't paint all dealers with the same brush. I work at the largest volume dealer in Canada for Corvette, and I assure you, you haven't asked my price on a Z16.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:34 AM
Habsrule
Advanced

$69,995, plus freight and taxes, for what it is worth, and in stock.

Get notified of new replies

To ANY DEALERS WILLING TO ORDER FOR A CANADIAN?

Old 06-26-2004, 02:26 PM
dhoshowski
Intermediate

So you're selling a Z16 for $70k?

So what are you going to be selling the C6's for (comparatively to MSRP)?
Old 06-26-2004, 02:28 PM
dhoshowski
Intermediate

Okay so here's a question for you.....if I order a C6 through you do I have to pay Ontario sales tax if the car is courtesy delivered to a dealership in AB?
Old 06-26-2004, 02:30 PM
Habsrule
Advanced

Email me directly at datkinson@wilsonniblett.com. I am not to be discussing commmercial issues on the forum. Or phone me at 1 888 379 8888, quicker than email! ;-)

Quick Reply: ANY DEALERS WILLING TO ORDER FOR A CANADIAN?