C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vortech better than ATI Procharger

Old 10-14-2006, 10:36 PM
DrValidus
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortech better than ATI Procharger

I just spoke to a CF vendor tuner regarding installation of a supercharger.

He says the Vortech supercharger is a little cheaper and quieter (and less whistle) than the Procharger. Performance, quality, and reliability is the same. BUT you have to change the oil periodically on the Procharger whereas the Vortech uses the engine's oil.

Vortech sounds like the no-brainer here.

Comments from our very knowledgable members??
Old 10-14-2006, 10:44 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Default supercharger

PROCHARGER=SELF CONTAINED and INTERCOOLER IS INCLUDED I believe,and you want an intercooler.VORTECH-uses enging oil-DRILL A HOLE IN THE OIL PAN-INTERCOOLER EXTRA-Although it has been a few years since I had my VORTECH-I'm sure they've improved them by now..They both accomplish the same thing and the whistle sounds pretty cool actually!!I'D go with either as they are real similar.You'll get all your added power after around 3500 RPM'S,just so you know.I was pulling 12.5's in my c4 with the vortech when I did everything right!!
Old 10-14-2006, 10:48 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure you'll get a lot of input, but a friend of mine at work claims the Vortech is a better design than the Procharger because it shares the engine lube.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:11 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by glennhl
I'm sure you'll get a lot of input, but a friend of mine at work claims the Vortech is a better design than the Procharger because it shares the engine lube.
And others claim the Procharger is better because it doesn't share oil with the engine. One thing for sure, Procharger feels confident enough to offer a 3 year warranty on their units while Vortech only offers 1 year.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:11 AM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by shopdog
And others claim the Procharger is better because it doesn't share oil with the engine. One thing for sure, Procharger feels confident enough to offer a 3 year warranty on their units while Vortech only offers 1 year.
What is the reasoning that a self contained oil system is better? Seems that it could have a tendency to overheat if it doesn't have it's own lube pump and heat exchanger.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:40 AM
Brabus2
Safety Car

I honestly think A&A Corvette's C6 Vortech kit is better engineered than the ProCharger kit and Andy is always looking to better improve/enhance his system. Andy simply uses quality hardware (T bolt clamps, Reichard pulley, upgraded hose, larger capacity FMIC...the list goes on!), I've seen both systems side by side and driven both. As for customer service support, Andy will answer his phone calls at all hours, and for ProCharger, I've had to call them several times on the same issue and are not good in returning calls.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:37 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Default s/c

What is the reasoning that a self contained oil system is better? Seems that it could have a tendency to overheat if it doesn't have it's own lube pump and heat exchanger.
The big promotion on that was that "NO HOLES IN YOUR OIL PAN".In other words,you don't have to drill into it and run an extra line.Vortech ran fine on my c4.I later added an aftercooler (or intercooler,I forget which) from CARROLL SUPERCHARGING,that was a water,alcohol mix and came on at 4 pounds of boost.In the end it will be your personal preference,as they both do the same thing.I bought Vortech because JOHN from TEXAS EXPORTS sold me a brand new one for something like 3700 bucks!!!Sweet,sweet deal!!
Old 10-15-2006, 12:14 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jesse12804
The big promotion on that was that "NO HOLES IN YOUR OIL PAN".In other words,you don't have to drill into it and run an extra line.Vortech ran fine on my c4.I later added an aftercooler (or intercooler,I forget which) from CARROLL SUPERCHARGING,that was a water,alcohol mix and came on at 4 pounds of boost.In the end it will be your personal preference,as they both do the same thing.I bought Vortech because JOHN from TEXAS EXPORTS sold me a brand new one for something like 3700 bucks!!!Sweet,sweet deal!!

I can see the good side of not having to drill holes in your oil pan, but my experience is it's always better to get a fresh, cooled, and filtered source of oil instead of a small self-contained source of oil.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:01 PM
Sportsdude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no idea on the advantages of the two but the Procharger that's on my car does a fine job at delivering the power and changing the oil is not difficult. If you get the A&A kit, you will receive great customer support. It's a challenge getting support from ATI I would go with A&A kit if I can do it over again simply because of customer support.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:33 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by glennhl
It has its own lube pump to mist lubricant onto the gears. The big advantage of the separate system is that you can run gear lubricant rather than engine oil in the Procharger. You don't run engine oil in your transmission or differential because that would be the wrong lubricant for them. Same idea here.

The turbine runs on ABEC 9 ball bearings, the gears run on ABEC 7 ball bearings, not the plain pressure lubed bearings used in an engine. So you don't need a large flood of thin oil to maintain a hydrodynamic wedge for the bearings. The primary purpose of the lubricant is to lubricate the gear meshes in the high speed gearbox of the supercharger. Ideally, you don't use engine oil for that.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:58 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by shopdog
It has its own lube pump to mist lubricant onto the gears. The big advantage of the separate system is that you can run gear lubricant rather than engine oil in the Procharger. You don't run engine oil in your transmission or differential because that would be the wrong lubricant for them. Same idea here.

The turbine runs on ABEC 9 ball bearings, the gears run on ABEC 7 ball bearings, not the plain pressure lubed bearings used in an engine. So you don't need a large flood of thin oil to maintain a hydrodynamic wedge for the bearings. The primary purpose of the lubricant is to lubricate the gear meshes in the high speed gearbox of the supercharger. Ideally, you don't use engine oil for that.
Lube oil has several duties, to lower the coefficient of friction thus reducing heat produced, to act as a hydrodynamic film, and just as important, to cool the gears and bearings. No arguments that gear oil is better than motor oil, but motor oil will work fine. Heck, GM even uses Tranny fluid for manuals now. I just don't like the idea of not having any filtration or coolers on that small lube compartment. What saves you is that most of the time the blower is not using much power. However, if you were to keep it up on boost for a long period of time, I'm betting you would overheat the blower's gearbox.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:46 PM
Chris S
Instructor

I had a Vortech S/C in my last S2000, and after my experience w/ them I'd avoid that company like the plague. I went through 3 or 4 black boxes, and in the end they referred me to Split Second (their supplier), saying I'd get better help from them. They basically said it wasn't their problem anymore. Turned out to be a huge waste of time and money!!! I'll easily hand them the award for the worst customer service I've ever experienced from a motorsport vendor.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:35 PM
z06boz
Pro

i have andys vortech kit on my car runs great and is super quiet. so there u go!
Old 10-15-2006, 10:12 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

The ECS Paxton NOVI 2000 kit has not been mentioned & it is most definetely worth considering before purchasing any other centrifugal type blower kit. It too has an oil line to plumb like the Vortech, but once the line is hooked up to either one, you will appreciate the no maintenance lubrication system with filtered oil circulating through the head unit. The NOVI 2000 will support higher HP numbers than the Vortech S-Trim or T-Trim. It is also quiet like the Vortech SQ(super quiet) units because of its helical cut gears. I have an A&A Vortech SQ S-Trim and I am quite happy with it. Like all "mod-heads" I now wish I would have gone with the more potent SQ T-Trim head unit or the ECS NOVI 2000 kit. If you choose ATI I would definetely get the larger D1SC head unit. You can achieve your HP goal with ATI, Vortech, or Paxton and if you look hard enough you can find a horror story of each and many happy stories of each. A large part of this equation depends on your tuner/installer & which unit they are most comfortable with. If you buy a Vortech/Paxton/ATI and your tuner/installer doesn't like it, you could have the beginnings of customer service issues. Good Luck with your Mods, you will LOVE FI, that much I know.

Scotty
Old 10-15-2006, 10:41 PM
Brabus2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by z06boz
i have andys vortech kit on my car runs great and is super quiet. so there u go!
Old 10-15-2006, 11:06 PM
Pakisho
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends on if you want it noisy or quiet, I guess.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:02 PM
Blue 2006

Ive looked at AandA's Vortec Kit with the modifications hes made to it..and its a well engineered system. In fact, i think Vortec should be a little embarrased that they dont have a dedicated SC'r for the C6 , yet their Dealer (AandA) can engineer and put a package together that works real well for the C6 . Im getting AandA's Vortec SQ package and if i didnt live 1800 miles away from them, id have them do the install.

Get notified of new replies

To Vortech better than ATI Procharger

Old 10-16-2006, 11:03 PM
wratran
Burning Brakes

Of the 4 kit mentioned...which is diy friendly...less mod to factory parts?
Old 10-17-2006, 07:21 AM
Black 01
Instructor

ATI Procharger Kit
Old 10-17-2006, 01:08 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,082 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
The ECS Paxton NOVI 2000 kit has not been mentioned & it is most definetely worth considering before purchasing any other centrifugal type blower kit. It too has an oil line to plumb like the Vortech, but once the line is hooked up to either one, you will appreciate the no maintenance lubrication system with filtered oil circulating through the head unit. The NOVI 2000 will support higher HP numbers than the Vortech S-Trim or T-Trim. It is also quiet like the Vortech SQ(super quiet) units because of its helical cut gears. I have an A&A Vortech SQ S-Trim and I am quite happy with it. Like all "mod-heads" I now wish I would have gone with the more potent SQ T-Trim head unit or the ECS NOVI 2000 kit. If you choose ATI I would definetely get the larger D1SC head unit. You can achieve your HP goal with ATI, Vortech, or Paxton and if you look hard enough you can find a horror story of each and many happy stories of each. A large part of this equation depends on your tuner/installer & which unit they are most comfortable with. If you buy a Vortech/Paxton/ATI and your tuner/installer doesn't like it, you could have the beginnings of customer service issues. Good Luck with your Mods, you will LOVE FI, that much I know.

Scotty

Thanks for the recomendation Scotty,
We have compiled what we feel is the highest quality S/C kit on the market. We will gladly lay our system along side any of our competitors that are willing, for a piece by peice comparison. As far as this thread is concered though, I would go with Andy's kit over the Procharger kit hands down.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vortech better than ATI Procharger