C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Boost Controller on APS TT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 07:40 PM
wewing
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Manual Boost Controller on APS TT?

Anyone install a Manual Boost Controller on their APS Twin Turbo C6? If so, what did you install and how did it do?
Old 05-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Vindication
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why would you consider it?
Old 05-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Phate
Racer

Originally Posted by Vindication
why would you consider it?
WAY cheaper then any EBC option...and probably more 'repeatable' then all but the best EBCs. Plus, some racing classes do not allow EBCs.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:46 PM
wewing
Burning Brakes

The reasons for me are reliability, and price. I am looking at the JoeP MBC Pro-Z-S. Does anyone know anything about that one? I see it here http://www.boostcontroller.com
Old 05-09-2007, 10:04 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

I've never been a fan of EBC's. i've been using the same Joe P MBC for years on various turbo cars. its an excellent budget MBC but for the vette I would go with something a little more up-scale.

The Hallman Pro MBC is excellent and only a few bucks more. I currently have one on my EVO and it works like a champ.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:03 PM
wewing
Burning Brakes

Would you recommend the Hallman because it works better, or looks better? I dont have any experience with MBC's, and just want a basic unit the won't spike, is it worth the extra money? It looks like it costs more than double.

Last edited by wewing; 05-09-2007 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:50 AM
0APS
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by wewing
Anyone install a Manual Boost Controller on their APS Twin Turbo C6? If so, what did you install and how did it do?
An EBC will have far more flexibility in terms of boost control as you can drive the boost control solenoid slower or faster to acheive the desired boost pressure over the entire rpm range.

Good luck.

Peter
Old 05-10-2007, 12:51 AM
Vindication
Melting Slicks

I purchased the HKS for my car. All my friends with Turbo cars loved the HKS series boost controller.

http://hksusa.com/products/?id=3208&rsku=6293
Old 05-10-2007, 08:33 AM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Received 708 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by APS
An EBC will have far more flexibility in terms of boost control as you can drive the boost control solenoid slower or faster to acheive the desired boost pressure over the entire rpm range.

Good luck.

Peter
Old 05-10-2007, 06:41 PM
wewing
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the input guys. I went ahead and purchased a JoeP Pro-Z-s MBC mostly because it was only $46 delivered to my door. Thats about one tenth the cost of an Electronic Boost Controller. It'll let me experiment with a little extra boost for cheap.

I figure if I don't like it I can maybe install a Turbo Smart e-boost2 or an AEM Tru Boost later on, but for now, the Manual Boost Controller is cheap and should be reliable. It'll let me put my boost up to my 8 or 9 psi target. I'm interested in finding out how stable the ball and spring kind of boost controller is, and also to see if causes my boost to spike or not. For $46 I can just throw it away without feeling bad if it doesn't do what I want. I'll post my results with it when I get it installed.

After all, with the waste gate actuators hooked straight to the compressor hoses in front of my throttle body. Springs are already the only thing controlling my boost now. That is the way the APS TT kit comes. This is just more of the same, but with adjustment capability.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:39 PM
turbo_tom
Melting Slicks

I have been using a TurboSmart manual boost controller on my car since day one... Eventually I will go with a EBC due to its flexability and tuning advantages. For now, I\'m fine with a MBC, especially when all you need to do is set it and forget it.

Get notified of new replies

To Manual Boost Controller on APS TT?

Quick Reply: Manual Boost Controller on APS TT?