C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid Oil Change question with Paxton

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 11:01 AM
fright88
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid Oil Change question with Paxton

Just wondering when I change my oil will the oil automatically drain from the paxton? Or is there anything special I should do to drain the oil or get it cycled back up into the blower? Also how much extra oil doe I need to put in? Fo I go by the dipstick?

Thanks for any help
Old 03-07-2008, 11:43 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Good question.

I'd also like to know if there is a need to prime the head unit on installation.

Lastly (not to hijack the thread) in reading the install instructions I see the oil pan is drilled and tapped. I could swear I remember ECS coming out with a neat dipstick adapter or something that negated the need for oil pan drilling. Am I ?
Old 03-07-2008, 11:57 AM
hugage
Advanced

The Novi 1500 I have is self contained. That is what I got. I have to drain it manually. It has a braided line hanging down from it that I use to drain it.

Fright- You just need to change your oil regularly and just compensate for the extra oil needed for the head unit. As far as how much, I'm not sure but doug or chris will step in.

Last edited by hugage; 03-07-2008 at 02:29 PM. Reason: mis-informed info.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:03 PM
06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Eastern PA:ECS Paxton Novi 1500(676rwhp,585tq on stock engine),LG headers, 410's, Corsa Sports, ECS Alky Kit
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by hugage
the Novi 1500 are self contained. That is what I got. I have to drain it manually. It has a line running down from it that I use to drain it.

You can also purchase the Novi 2000 which needs to be tapped.

Fright- You just need to change your oil regularly and just compensate for the extra oil needed for the head unit. As far as how much, I'm not sure but doug or chris will step in.
Not all 1500s are self contained, you have an option to use the oil from the block or a self contained unit (they are available both ways). ECS told me the vast majority they install are using the oil from the block. I also don't believe they tap the oil pan, I think there is a fitting on the side of the block that they use to feed the oil. ECS will probably chime in to confirm what I said when they read this.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:47 PM
robbiC5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
Not all 1500s are self contained, you have an option to use the oil from the block or a self contained unit (they are available both ways). ECS told me the vast majority they install are using the oil from the block. I also don't believe they tap the oil pan, I think there is a fitting on the side of the block that they use to feed the oil. ECS will probably chime in to confirm what I said when they read this.
They do use a fitting on the side of the block for the supply oil line, but you have to tap the oil pan for the return oil line.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:55 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Here are the options available, both 1200 and 1500 head units can come self contained or oil fed, we normally tap the pan for oil drain on the fed units however we do have a dip stick drain option for those who oppose tapping the pan, but at that point we just recommend a self contained unit now that they are available. We were doing that prior to that option.
Most of the over the counter sales are self contained for ease of install, while in house is 50/50.

The self contained units have a drain hose with a threaded end so you do not have to siphon or jump threw hoops to swap out the fluid. The hose is just long enough to hang near the bottom of the engine so it's nice and easy.

The fed units do not need any special draining process at all and use so little oil that you can simply perform a normal oil change and your on your way.

Any questions feel free ask here or PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:27 PM
chxwing
Instructor

Doug what type of oil is used in the self contained unit. Also I love the wy my car runs and it looks great.

David
Old 03-07-2008, 04:26 PM
DOUG @ ECS

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321

Originally Posted by chxwing
Doug what type of oil is used in the self contained unit. Also I love the wy my car runs and it looks great.

David

Great to hear Dave, I must say I really enjoyed tuning your car.

The oil used in the head unit is from Paxton, I will have Chris mail you a couple bottles.

One thing I should have clarified before is that ALL the 1200 units sold are oil fed, so no maintenance is required. We have not ordered 1200's since the self contained option was available.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:08 PM
chxwing
Instructor

Doug my care runs great, the one thing that is so nice is that drive normal and it is just like it was before the SC but get on the gas and man it come alive like a beast. I want everybody to know something I have thought and thought about how to explain the way the power feels but it is so hard to do, it accelerates so fast you can't stay on it for any period of time, I mean seriously 10 seconds or so maybe 15 and when you car is tearing the street up you can feel the rear tires wanting to brake loose so badly even at high speeds, that while you are concentrating on driving so much that you really can't think about the way the power feels, like I said it all happens so fast. Doug does this make sense or is it just me. Let me say the torque that my engine is making is fantastic, it pulls from 70 to 140 like you are running from 0 to 60, it is great. Doug what do you think about octane booster, and if you like it which one would you recommend?
Old 03-07-2008, 09:05 PM
enjoytheview
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Doug,

What do you recommend: oil fed or self contained? Are there different benefits to both? Is one safer? Etc.

Thanks,
Old 03-10-2008, 01:18 AM
zo6landrocket
Instructor

Originally Posted by enjoytheview
Doug,

What do you recommend: oil fed or self contained? Are there different benefits to both? Is one safer? Etc.

Thanks,
I would like to know too.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:49 PM
DOUG @ ECS

Originally Posted by chxwing
Doug my care runs great, the one thing that is so nice is that drive normal and it is just like it was before the SC but get on the gas and man it come alive like a beast. I want everybody to know something I have thought and thought about how to explain the way the power feels but it is so hard to do, it accelerates so fast you can't stay on it for any period of time, I mean seriously 10 seconds or so maybe 15 and when you car is tearing the street up you can feel the rear tires wanting to brake loose so badly even at high speeds, that while you are concentrating on driving so much that you really can't think about the way the power feels, like I said it all happens so fast. Doug does this make sense or is it just me. Let me say the torque that my engine is making is fantastic, it pulls from 70 to 140 like you are running from 0 to 60, it is great. Doug what do you think about octane booster, and if you like it which one would you recommend?

I tuned it without, but adding octane boost for safety is not a bad idea, it eliminates the chance of taking out your engine from a bad load of fuel. I prefer Octainuim or Torco.

As far as acceleration is concerned, it's just dam fast period!
Old 03-10-2008, 03:51 PM
DOUG @ ECS

Originally Posted by zo6landrocket
I would like to know too.
It really is 50/50, one is maintenance free and the other is faster to install, although with the drain hose that stays on the head unit it is fast to change the oil. I really dont have a preference, sorry to be so neutral on it, but they are good either way.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:16 PM
MikeM@ECS
Racer

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
I tuned it without, but adding octane boost for safety is not a bad idea, it eliminates the chance of taking out your engine from a bad load of fuel. I prefer Octainuim or Torco.

As far as acceleration is concerned, it's just dam fast period!

Octanium is available on the ECS website. Just add to the cart!
Old 03-18-2008, 01:41 PM
sampson
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Great to hear Dave, I must say I really enjoyed tuning your car.
SO, I guess tuning my car sucked
Old 03-18-2008, 07:21 PM
DOUG @ ECS

Originally Posted by sampson
SO, I guess tuning my car sucked

Old 04-20-2008, 05:23 PM
C6VETTE4FUN
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Does the Novi 2000 have its own oil contained and What is the the life before changes?

Get notified of new replies

To Stupid Oil Change question with Paxton

Quick Reply: Stupid Oil Change question with Paxton