C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Traction Help.....Big rwhp guys chime in.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 01:09 AM
Fast06Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need Traction Help.....Big rwhp guys chime in.

So I havent even gotten my car back yet with all the final adjustments but when it had just the base tune and sc installed to break in the clutch the car would blow the tires off in first and second with just moderate throttle tip ins. It was alittle cold out but still was alittle disappointed since I just bought the Nt05's before this I absolutely loved them. Maybe when I get it back and its warm out, I can lower pressure and theyll hook. If not whats the best tire for traction on the street while still being able to take highway trips for a couple hours. My car is making 660 rwhp and 600 lbs of torque. I've heard Hoosier R6 with rain grooves cut???? Anyone running the Nt005's with success with this power level? Thanks guys in advance.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:22 AM
Street gear
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to know the answer as well I have the same problem. I have a set of R6's but have not found the time to try them out. I would like hear from someone running R6's.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:10 AM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Received 708 Likes on 391 Posts

I've been running the same set of Kumho Victoracer V710's for the last two seasons, and while they are not grooved for rain work, they do provide tons of traction, especially when it's warm.

When it is cooler out, like in the fall, they will spin in 3rd and 4th from a roll, just not as much as a real street tire.

Any good road race tire will provide what you need, and with the right mental attitude(not blowing them loose every chance to show off) they will last quite a while.

My thought process is that if you are going to mod the car, a good sticky tire is well worth the extra cost for good traction, despite the shorter useful life.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:04 AM
1bdasvt
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06-'09

Drag radials???
Old 06-24-2009, 10:54 AM
tlaselva
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You’re really limited with the stock 19" rim.

If you’re willing to go with a 18" rear rim, then your options increase exponentially.

You can go with a 335 Nitto 555R, better yet a 345 BFG D/R, and even better yet an M/T 345 D/R which are all street legal, and run decently in the rain if you use caution.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:13 AM
Fast06Z06
Melting Slicks

Anyone running close to 700 rwhp and what are running. I dont want to just buy a drag radial and find out they still dont hook either. I've had many drag radials before on other cars and they worked great, but then again my other cars were no more than around 575 to 600 at the wheel. My Z now is almost 100 whp more ( made a last pull last nite, first pull, low low IAT and made 696 rwhp ) so I am skeptical wether a drag radial will work. If so whats the best? I have 275/40/17 drag radials for the drag strip but im not sure they will hold up either anymore.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:18 AM
24hr Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 612rwhp/584ft-lbs

I run a set of 335/30R18 Kumho Ecsta V700 and right now I can lose traction in 2nd but the tires are on their last leg... When they were brand new I could hook 2nd.. 1st spun but just a little bit.. I can smash 3rd right now and she still hooks.. I can boost brake the car at 4300rpms in 3rd leave with 6lbs and she just goes.. so id say even on their last leg they have some good bite..

What I love about these vs the drag radials that I ran when the car was stock (BFG drags in 315/30/18, 305/18 Nitto DRs) is their stability at higher speeds.. When Id take my car to 90 the soft sidewall of the DR tires was pronounced.. A little scary because you could feel the sidewalk flex over at triple digits.. Now, I can cruise at 160 and it feels great..

No issues in the rain either..

Next tire Im going to try is a 335/18 toyo R888..

Tire Rack Pricing
Old 06-24-2009, 11:21 AM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast06Z06
So I havent even gotten my car back yet with all the final adjustments but when it had just the base tune and sc installed to break in the clutch the car would blow the tires off in first and second with just moderate throttle tip ins. It was alittle cold out but still was alittle disappointed since I just bought the Nt05's before this I absolutely loved them. Maybe when I get it back and its warm out, I can lower pressure and theyll hook. If not whats the best tire for traction on the street while still being able to take highway trips for a couple hours. My car is making 660 rwhp and 600 lbs of torque. I've heard Hoosier R6 with rain grooves cut???? Anyone running the Nt005's with success with this power level? Thanks guys in advance.
Your Nitto NT05 tires are just regular street tires, and not even very good ones at that. If you want to hook up race car power levels you are going to have to step away from street tires and step up to a race compound.
Here's 600WHP / 518RWTQ on Nitto 555R2s:

Other similarly suitable R-Compound tire options include Nitto NT01, Toyo Proxes RA1, Toyo Proxes R888, or, if you want a drag radial, the Nitto 555R, the Proxes TQ, and the Mickey Thompsons will offer EVEN more grip, while sacrificing handling.
Hoosiers will offer drag radial traction with road racing tire handling, but they will lose their grip over several heat cycles and end up hard as plastic if driven mildly, or wear away extremely fast if driven hard.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:24 PM
Fast06Z06
Melting Slicks

I hate to disagree with you but the Nt05's are FAR from just regular street tires. They are a combination of the characteristics of the Nt01's and the 555r's. The are on the verge of a R compound without have all the other sacrifices. I agree that they are probably not enough to cut it from me but they are far from a street tire with a wear rating of 220. i street tire would never hold 560 on the street in all gears, which they did for me. Well c.

A drag radial seems the way to go . Ill probably go with a Mickey Thompson from what I've experienced and seen. Thanks for all your input
Old 06-24-2009, 12:31 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

I hate to disagree with you but the Nt05's are FAR from just regular street tires. They are a combination of the characteristics of the Nt01's and the 555r's. The are on the verge of a R compound without have all the other sacrifices. I agree that they are probably not enough to cut it from me but they are far from a street tire with a wear rating of 220. i street tire would never hold 560 on the street in all gears, which they did for me. Well c.

A drag radial seems the way to go . Ill probably go with a Mickey Thompson from what I've experienced and seen. Thanks for all your input
Well, Lets see... From the Nitto Website:

200 threadwear

8/32nds thread depth.

Yes, it is a street tire and a mediocre one at that. A very agressive street tire will have a threadwear of 140, like the Yokohamas they put on the Lotus Elise track package, and an R-Comp will have 6/32nds thread depth to minimise squirm.
Also they didn't hold 560WHP for you "in all gears". I can smoke my R-Comps in first, so there is no way in hell you could floor it in 1st and not smoke those street tires. 2nd maybe, but 1st no way. 1st gear is a gear

My Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s held 600WHP in 2nd gear too... They had to be hot, the road had to be dry and clean and I had to be travelling straight and push the gas down gradually, but they held at least half the time. The PS2 is a very similar tire to the NT05 (also 200 threadwear and 8/32nds thread depth) but it is a much better tire, with a better rubber compound and stiffer sidewalls. That is the tire they put on the McLaren SLR and the Porshe Carerra GT from the factory, both 600+ HP supercars. If THAT didn't quite cut it for me with a supercharger, I don't think the much cheaper Japanese tire competition to it with the same threadwear would do any better
Old 06-24-2009, 01:13 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

I think some people have a distorted view of the differences in R-compounds and street tire comparisons. The best street tire couldnt keep up with a 275 MT ET street.

I think some have to stop judging a tire by the ability to be able to floor their car in all gears when they should be thinking how much further down on the gas pedal they can go with an R-comp than the biggest street tire they can buy. No I cant floor my car in first with MT Et streets but its still better than a 345 street tire will ever do by 300%.

Ditch the 19" rim and get a 345 MT Et street on an 18".
Old 06-24-2009, 03:23 PM
Mr.Big
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the MT 345 x 18's are the best choice, however... be ready to break driveline parts unless you have already upgraded everything, and even if upgraded you'll break some parts from time to time... just know that going in... something about the 700rwhp mark, in our setups, starts breaking stuff...
Old 06-24-2009, 03:49 PM
0HinsonSuperCars
Former Vendor

Location: Birmingham, AL www.hinsonsupercars.com 205-909-9402
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Mickey Thompson 345/35/18 will get it done I've got 2 in stock for anyone who is interested.

$565 + shipping

Seth
Old 06-24-2009, 04:59 PM
1bdasvt
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06-'09

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
I think some people have a distorted view of the differences in R-compounds and street tire comparisons. The best street tire couldnt keep up with a 275 MT ET street.

I think some have to stop judging a tire by the ability to be able to floor their car in all gears when they should be thinking how much further down on the gas pedal they can go with an R-comp than the biggest street tire they can buy. No I cant floor my car in first with MT Et streets but its still better than a 345 street tire will ever do by 300%.

Ditch the 19" rim and get a 345 MT Et street on an 18".
Old 06-24-2009, 05:02 PM
1bdasvt
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06-'09

Originally Posted by HinsonSuperCars
Mickey Thompson 345/35/18 will get it done I've got 2 in stock for anyone who is interested.

$565 + shipping

Seth
Are these the "old" model or "new" models?
Thanks,,,I know they have been on backorder for a long time that's why I'm asking!
I have a new set of M&H 345's I'm waiting to install but maybe I'll get these instead!
Old 06-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Fast06Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
Well, Lets see... From the Nitto Website:

200 threadwear

8/32nds thread depth.

Yes, it is a street tire and a mediocre one at that. A very agressive street tire will have a threadwear of 140, like the Yokohamas they put on the Lotus Elise track package, and an R-Comp will have 6/32nds thread depth to minimise squirm.
Also they didn't hold 560WHP for you "in all gears". I can smoke my R-Comps in first, so there is no way in hell you could floor it in 1st and not smoke those street tires. 2nd maybe, but 1st no way. 1st gear is a gear

My Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s held 600WHP in 2nd gear too... They had to be hot, the road had to be dry and clean and I had to be travelling straight and push the gas down gradually, but they held at least half the time. The PS2 is a very similar tire to the NT05 (also 200 threadwear and 8/32nds thread depth) but it is a much better tire, with a better rubber compound and stiffer sidewalls. That is the tire they put on the McLaren SLR and the Porshe Carerra GT from the factory, both 600+ HP supercars. If THAT didn't quite cut it for me with a supercharger, I don't think the much cheaper Japanese tire competition to it with the same threadwear would do any better

My bad your right about the tread wear I was mistaking them with the invos in my mind. Anyhow the Nt05 IS an excellent street tire and it DID hold the power to the ground in my 560 rwhp setup before if you got the tires just alittle warm then would have about 75 percent of first gear and every gear there after. I have 4 people that were witnesses that could tell you.

Guess drag radial it is.

I know there are lots of options with 18's but im not changing my rims. so whats availiable in 19? Just hoosiers?
Old 06-24-2009, 05:18 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

My bad your right about the tread wear I was mistaking them with the invos in my mind. Anyhow the Nt05 IS an excellent street tire and it DID hold the power to the ground in my 560 rwhp setup before if you got the tires just alittle warm then would have about 75 percent of first gear and every gear there after. I have 4 people that were witnesses that could tell you.

Guess drag radial it is.

I know there are lots of options with 18's but im not changing my rims. so whats availiable in 19? Just hoosiers?
Toyo Proxes R888 in 305/30R19... Many here run them on stock rims.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Traction Help.....Big rwhp guys chime in.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:26 PM
0HinsonSuperCars
Former Vendor

Location: Birmingham, AL www.hinsonsupercars.com 205-909-9402
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bdasvt
Are these the "old" model or "new" models?
Thanks,,,I know they have been on backorder for a long time that's why I'm asking!
I have a new set of M&H 345's I'm waiting to install but maybe I'll get these instead!
We have had them for about a month.

Seth
Old 06-24-2009, 05:28 PM
1bdasvt
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06-'09

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2009, 05:38 PM
Fast06Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
Toyo Proxes R888 in 305/30R19... Many here run them on stock rims.

How would you compare them to Hoosier R6? I've heard of them being used also with rain grooves cut.

Do they make a wider toyo Proxe? thanks

Quick Reply: Need Traction Help.....Big rwhp guys chime in.