C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the safe max. amount of nitrous a stock LS2 Vette can take ?

Old 09-07-2009, 10:29 AM
TheycallmeDave
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the safe max. amount of nitrous a stock LS2 Vette can take ?

2006 LS2 with headers , 6 speed manual. What is a safe maximum amount of nitrous the engine can take , and approx. how much could i expect to pay to have it installed professionally ? Thanks.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:32 AM
gengiskhan
Intermediate

125 shot imho

$ depends on the kit
little over a grand with a "base kit"
Old 09-07-2009, 11:41 AM
Nasty C6
Burning Brakes

250 shot,to the wheels,i run a 100 bottles through my stock ls2.never hurt a piston.made 600rwhp through an A4.sold that block for $2500,ur tune better be spot on.............
Old 09-07-2009, 12:46 PM
dsp300c
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have been looking around and hear ls motors can take a pretty good shot. it just depends if you have it installed right and actually have a tuner that knows what he is doing. on something like this i wouldn't go cheap on it like some people do. depending on what kit, if you do NANO or just bottle warmer, 1 bottle or 2 and holder, remote bottle opener, window switch, if you want dedicated fuel system, and other random parts like blow down tube, switch plate, gauge, etc you are probably looking at $800-$3,000 in parts and between $500-$1000 for install depending on the shop
The following users liked this post:
C5-Fan (11-12-2017)
Old 09-07-2009, 04:12 PM
TheycallmeDave
Pro

Ok.. im getting prices of about $2500 installed for the NOS wet-plate kit with accessories incl. dyno tune , and no one is telling me to go over 150 h.p. Am i correct in assuming the full nitrous comes in at ANY speed so long as you are WOT , and automatically, for the LS2 application ? Out of curiousity, how much h.p. is lost thru having to retard the timing as required ? Has anyone had problems with the GM engine warranty with nitrous present ? Thanks.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:47 PM
wvu c6
Advanced

Originally Posted by TheycallmeDave
Ok.. im getting prices of about $2500 installed for the NOS wet-plate kit with accessories incl. dyno tune , and no one is telling me to go over 150 h.p. Am i correct in assuming the full nitrous comes in at ANY speed so long as you are WOT , and automatically, for the LS2 application ? Out of curiousity, how much h.p. is lost thru having to retard the timing as required ? Has anyone had problems with the GM engine warranty with nitrous present ? Thanks.
call nick at hsw they have great kits with controlers.the microedge is great.i love mine.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:46 PM
TheycallmeDave
Pro

Originally Posted by wvu c6
call nick at hsw they have great kits with controlers.the microedge is great.i love mine.
Please tell me what HSW stands for ; having trouble finding them on the C.F. Dealer list . Thanks.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:52 PM
spdmn75
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harris Speed works
Old 09-08-2009, 02:59 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

There are really two questions here that should be answered separately.

1) What can a stock LS2 shortblock handle

and
2) What is the limit for not having a fuel puddle with a simple wet plate or wet nozzle feeding into an intake manifold designed for air flow and not to flow a fuel. Nitrous backfires will be more common as the amount of fuel rises. This is why wet plate and single nozzle systems go up to 150 and sometimes 175. Multi-nozzle direct port systems are safer and can then go to the shortblock's limits. Even a forged shortblock would be wise running a single nozzle only to 150 or so for this reason. Fuel will still puddle up top.

Eliminating the second question, a stock shortblock can be OK in the 600 to 650rwhp but the TQ many FI (supercharged cars) run is usually 100 less or about 550rwtq. Yes many guys say they have 700rwhp and 600rwtq but we count failures and not engines that didnt give up the ghost yet. Above 650hp and 550tq shortblocks become less stable. It doesnt fall to zero reliability. There are guys who are over 700rwhp/600rwtq but they dont typically use it much if at all once the dyno is done.

Nitrous is TQ in a bottle and 600rwhp from nitrous is more like 700+rwtq and thats not the same as superchared stress on a motor.

Load on a motor is also tied to the driveline stresses. A car with 700rwhp from boost with street tires isnt seeing the stress of a motor that is riding on drag radials even if the drag radial car has 100 less HP. Spinning tires arent as much a load as hooking. Potential energy is released by climbing in rpm where as hooking creates inertia to the engine spinning.

My vote for limits: 150 shot for a single nozzle and 250 shot for direct port.

With either you better have a good tire or it will simply be a nice burn out. Most street nitrous cars are faster with a 75 shot since they can use it in lower gears. A 75 shot is 100+rwtq making a cam only LS2 with 450/400rw into 525/500+ like a sroker but the TQ peak occurs lower in rpm than 4800......thats a serous pull. A 150 shot will break the tires loose with MT ET streets in 2nd. A 150 shot with break ANY street tire loose in 3rd gear so dont think 345 pilot sports will make you the street king. Obviously, bone stock LS2's will not make the same power as a cammed LS2 so these figures will vary by your mods.

Nitrous rules.

Last edited by SpinMonster; 09-08-2009 at 03:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
C5-Fan (12-24-2017)
Old 09-16-2009, 12:06 PM
GetSum
Instructor

200 shot is the most, unless you do 2 stages. Robert 56 has proved this.
Good Luck. I have 150 shot one my first stage and will be moving to 2nd stage with another 100 shot in 3rd gear. The key is to have a great tune, and I hit the spray in 2nd gear and dead hook. Too many guys hit big shots out of the hole, this is where the most damage is done, and the most load and stress on a motor. thats why I spray in 2nd.
I have a bolton C6. Stock Bottom end.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:12 PM
dicky
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GetSum
Good Luck. I have 150 shot one my first stage and will be moving to 2nd stage with another 100 shot in 3rd gear. The key is to have a great tune, and I hit the spray in 2nd gear and dead hook. Too many guys hit big shots out of the hole, this is where the most damage is done, and the most load and stress on a motor. thats why I spray in 2nd.
what kinda times/MPH are you getting with your bolt on and 150 shot LS2

just curious, one day i might do a 125 dry shot and i have a bolt-on LS2 also

thanks
dicky
Old 09-16-2009, 03:27 PM
TheycallmeDave
Pro

Good info. thanks. What bolt on Heads did you go with ? How long have you been spraying on your C6 ?
Old 09-17-2009, 09:56 AM
GetSum
Instructor

Good info. thanks. What bolt on Heads did you go with ? How long have you been spraying on your C6 ?
Just this season. I did so much reading the last couple of years before I went this route. Here is a good link This Guy IMHO is the best in the business.
http://robertsnitrousservice.com/
Read and learn everything this guy says! it will take weeks but well worth it Pics galore. Its a lot to absorb. Good Luck!
Old 09-17-2009, 10:49 AM
TheycallmeDave
Pro

Just this season. I did so much reading the last couple of years before I went this route. Here is a good link This Guy IMHO is the best in the business.
http://robertsnitrousservice.com/
Read and learn everything this guy says! it will take weeks but well worth it Pics galore. Its a lot to absorb. Good Luck!
Much obliged !
Old 09-18-2009, 06:11 AM
atomicfusion
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Motor Warranty + N20 = VOID

Unless... you remove the kit, change the oil and then take it in.

Get notified of new replies

To Whats the safe max. amount of nitrous a stock LS2 Vette can take ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Whats the safe max. amount of nitrous a stock LS2 Vette can take ?