C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

misfire - all causes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 06:48 PM
zeshawn
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default misfire - all causes?

Simple question, this misfire is driving me nuts. Car will misfire above 7.5PSI of boost, and only above that.

Plugs are #7 gapped to 0.30
Wires are new
Coils are new
plugs are new

1 - What are the non obvious things that can cause a misfire, does a collapsing turbo inlet tube "act" like a misfire? Do I need to furthermore gap down the plugs?

2 - Are there any other ENGINE related issues that I might be over-seeing?

3 - Can high crankcase pressure cause an engine to misfire? Sounds weird to me, but I overheard someone saying this

Any help recommended. Engine is a forged low-comp (9:1) Warhawk with a turbo cam, and TT kit.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:12 PM
drivinfast
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Friend of mine traded in his 05 on an 07 and took the mods off the 05 and put them on the 07. He never figured out his misfire on the 07, taking it to the dealer numerous times after taking the mods off. They eventually lemoned it and he moved on to an 08 for about $500.

Thats no help but they tried everything, new computers, firmware, wires, you name it, and he walked away from it into something better.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:31 PM
Mr.Big
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm down to .028 gap now... I'd give a smaller gap a try...
Old 09-26-2009, 09:54 PM
zeshawn
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mr.Big
hell I might as well try a .025 gap while im at it, if it boosts higher it will be a plug issue, I hope its something as stupid as that though.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:55 PM
zeshawn
Drifting

Originally Posted by drivinfast
Friend of mine traded in his 05 on an 07 and took the mods off the 05 and put them on the 07. He never figured out his misfire on the 07, taking it to the dealer numerous times after taking the mods off. They eventually lemoned it and he moved on to an 08 for about $500.

Thats no help but they tried everything, new computers, firmware, wires, you name it, and he walked away from it into something better.
my car will only misfire over a certain x boost level, so its completely different, and PS nothing is stock in my car, so again too different to compare, and hig resolution would definitely not work with me
Old 09-26-2009, 10:13 PM
backchannel
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Big
Go figure? I started at .028 and had ignition breakdown at 5200 rpm. Tried using coil dwell #'s from one of the blower manu. recommendation and it got worse. Everything was checked with no problems discovered. Tried .035 out of desperation and the problem went away wtf!
Old 09-27-2009, 10:21 PM
0INTMD8
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Was the car ever tuned or are you still running the base file I sent you? If the car hasn't been tuned and you don't know what your air/fuel ratio is I would start there.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:29 PM
zeshawn
Drifting

Originally Posted by backchannel
Go figure? I started at .028 and had ignition breakdown at 5200 rpm. Tried using coil dwell #'s from one of the blower manu. recommendation and it got worse. Everything was checked with no problems discovered. Tried .035 out of desperation and the problem went away wtf!
holy crap, I might as well try that if it did the same on the dyno this time

Originally Posted by INTMD8
Was the car ever tuned or are you still running the base file I sent you? If the car hasn't been tuned and you don't know what your air/fuel ratio is I would start there.
Jim, not yet car is still sitting in the shop waiting for the tuner to come back.

Get notified of new replies

To misfire - all causes?

Quick Reply: misfire - all causes?