C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TVS 2300 or Kenne Bell 2.8

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 03:23 AM
Bad News
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default TVS 2300 or Kenne Bell 2.8

So recently my long-time dream of owning a corvette has become a reality. Well mod fever has already taken over and I am looking for a supercharger kit. My question is what would you recommend between the TVS system and the Kenne Bell which looks like it will be released from TPE in the near future? Im leaning towards the KB because I have long term goals of making 800rwhp with a 402 but I have heard that this is not possible with the TVS without substantial upgrades to help with belt slip.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:30 AM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad News
So recently my long-time dream of owning a corvette has become a reality. Well mod fever has already taken over and I am looking for a supercharger kit. My question is what would you recommend between the TVS system and the Kenne Bell which looks like it will be released from TPE in the near future? Im leaning towards the KB because I have long term goals of making 800rwhp with a 402 but I have heard that this is not possible with the TVS without substantial upgrades to help with belt slip.
The KB is a smaller and more efficient supercharger, but that is a bit of a moot point when you consider that they have been promising a kit for the C6 since 2005, and it has always been "right around the corner" but with no results. TPE has a kit I think, but I've never seen a car put down big power with it. The TVS kit is still a bit unproven at those big numbers, but at least there is a lot more support for it. The safest bet for 800RWHP today (as in, something that is tried and proven and has been done several times before with repeatable results) would be a good centrifugal or turbos.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:17 AM
0East Tx Muscle Cars
Former Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Or why dont you go with a A&A kit? we could do a YSI on it for you and you could smash your 800 HP goal! no problems getting to that mark, no horrible heat soak from a KB. Dont get me wrong, we Sell a 2.8 kit for the C5 corvettes, and maggies also, but the A&A kit is the way to go IMHO! give us a shout with what ever you decided and we can help you out on getting what you need!
Old 01-14-2010, 05:44 PM
Bad News
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the replies. I know that it would be easier to get to my goal with a centri but after reading through posts over the years on the forum I know that roots is what I want. I plan of doing the work myself, can anyone recommend a good place to get the TVS kit and some other supporting mods to go with it?
Old 01-14-2010, 07:38 PM
0East Tx Muscle Cars
Former Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We can get you one! PM sent
Old 01-14-2010, 08:01 PM
TMRoc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad News
Thanks for the replies. I know that it would be easier to get to my goal with a centri but after reading through posts over the years on the forum I know that roots is what I want. I plan of doing the work myself, can anyone recommend a good place to get the TVS kit and some other supporting mods to go with it?

It would help if we knew the are you live in.
What are your long term goals wite the car, street, Dragstrip, Road racing or a combo of all?
Old 01-15-2010, 12:37 AM
Zteve
Racer

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
The KB is a smaller and more efficient supercharger, but that is a bit of a moot point when you consider that they have been promising a kit for the C6 since 2005, and it has always been "right around the corner" but with no results. TPE has a kit I think, but I've never seen a car put down big power with it. The TVS kit is still a bit unproven at those big numbers, but at least there is a lot more support for it. The safest bet for 800RWHP today (as in, something that is tried and proven and has been done several times before with repeatable results) would be a good centrifugal or turbos.
Please post the data detailing the efficiency advantage of the KB over the TVS. I would love to read up on that specific comparison.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:16 AM
Bad News
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TMRoc
It would help if we knew the are you live in.
What are your long term goals wite the car, street, Dragstrip, Road racing or a combo of all?
Im in the Reno/Tahoe area of Nevada. Long term (in about a year) I want to do a 402 stroker and turn up the boost. Like I said I would like to be at the 800rwhp mark. Most of my driving will be on the street with an occasional trip to the dragstrip (a few times a year).
Old 01-15-2010, 08:37 AM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Zteve
Please post the data detailing the efficiency advantage of the KB over the TVS. I would love to read up on that specific comparison.
In very simple terms: The TVS supercharger is a much improved (4 lobe rotors as opposed to 3 lobes and a higher twist rate) roots blower, but it is still a roots blower, which means that all it does is move air from one side of the casing to the other; boost develops as that air packs up in the intake side of the engine and can't all go into the engine.
Conversely, the Kenne Bell unit is a twin screw supercharger; the two different rotors compress air internally, so pressure is developed within the blower. Thermodynamically, this is MUCH more efficient. The efficiency really starts to manifest itself at higher pressure ratios (I.E. more boost), and the blower is physically smaller as well.
I've seen a few comparisons online but right now this chart is all I can dig up.

Please do remember though when comparing superchargers that the supercharger unit is a small factor in the overall kit. The world's best supercharger will still suck and perform terribly when paired up with a poor intercooler, poor intake system, inadequate belt routing, etc etc... Which is why my first comment was to wait untill someone actually has a proven kit out there, and not be a guinea pig.

I will add as a final note that Charlie from RPM motors gave me a ride in a C5Z06 car with a KB blower and it was absolutely INCREDIBLE and I will never forget it. The car felt like it had an 8 liter engine in it; instant, endless power. It was probably about as fast as my car is with a base A&A kit, but the low end torque was unbeatable; it had neck snapping acceleration the moment he hit the gas at 2200RPM in 4rth gear!
Old 01-15-2010, 11:35 AM
stainless40cal
Drifting

In very simple terms: The TVS supercharger is a much improved (4 lobe rotors as opposed to 3 lobes and a higher twist rate) roots blower, but it is still a roots blower, which means that all it does is move air from one side of the casing to the other; boost develops as that air packs up in the intake side of the engine and can't all go into the engine.
Conversely, the Kenne Bell unit is a twin screw supercharger; the two different rotors compress air internally, so pressure is developed within the blower. Thermodynamically, this is MUCH more efficient. The efficiency really starts to manifest itself at higher pressure ratios (I.E. more boost), and the blower is physically smaller as well.
I've seen a few comparisons online but right now this chart is all I can dig up.

Please do remember though when comparing superchargers that the supercharger unit is a small factor in the overall kit. The world's best supercharger will still suck and perform terribly when paired up with a poor intercooler, poor intake system, inadequate belt routing, etc etc... Which is why my first comment was to wait untill someone actually has a proven kit out there, and not be a guinea pig.

I will add as a final note that Charlie from RPM motors gave me a ride in a C5Z06 car with a KB blower and it was absolutely INCREDIBLE and I will never forget it. The car felt like it had an 8 liter engine in it; instant, endless power. It was probably about as fast as my car is with a base A&A kit, but the low end torque was unbeatable; it had neck snapping acceleration the moment he hit the gas at 2200RPM in 4rth gear!

People dont realize how fun Kenne Bell's are untill you have driven or been in one . Its a rush you will not forget!
Old 01-15-2010, 12:16 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by stainless40cal

People dont realize how fun Kenne Bell's are untill you have driven or been in one . Its a rush you will not forget!
Anything weighting 3000-odd pounds and putting down 600horses to the ground is bound to be ridiculous fun
Old 01-15-2010, 04:27 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,336 Likes on 945 Posts

It would be interesting to see what HP is required to spin both blowers fast enough to push 10 psi. You would be similarly impressed with a ride in a TVS motivated vette. Mine is over 600 ft/lbs under 2500 rpm.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:43 PM
0Jeff @ TPE
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06 & '12

We've been doing C6 KB builds for around 16-18 months now. Contrary to popular beliefe the C6 kit is not a Unicorn. It actually exists.

Although it was originally as an in-house build kit only, we've been steadily working on the production kit for some time now. Its literlly right around the corner. As of this week, the only things that we are currently waiting on is the front gears, and rear inlets. The gears are in customs and should be released any day. We have 100 inlets coming, and should be here right as the middle of next week. But Jim Bell himself has been driving his 08 LS3 KB corvette since June 09. The car has already seen hundreds of dyno runs, and thousands of street miles.

Obviously there is a kit build time (ie..assembly) but that is only 3-7 days. A little longer if you want full polish.

The original kit that we had for the C5 had a horrible inlet restriction. Although we have surpassed 800rwhp on a few occasions, it was a real stretch. It pushed the kit pretty had. BUT....... It was not the head unit that was struggling. It was the inlet. Once the inlet was resolved, everything else worked just fine.

If you find yourself in Vegas, swing on by. We always have 1 or 2 KB Corvettes in the shop.

If you are looking to have a shop install your kit, TPE is the leader in GM based KB cars. No one in the world has built more than us. We have built 4 of the 5 highest horsepower KB GM cars on record.

Heres a C6 we did. It had real low boost, and was built as a DD. The inagural drive was its 1800 mile drive home. It went flawlessly.

http://www.totalperformanceengineeri...ages.php?pID=7
Old 01-15-2010, 10:50 PM
csun213
Melting Slicks

If I am not looking for high boost but something safe like about 6psi, would you recommend a TVS2300 or KB?

Just to clear it up, right now I have a Vortech supercharger (kind like A&A) which was installed by Vortech, putting down 515rwhp, 465TQ at 6psi with a safe tune.

When I purchase GS, I would like to get something else but still want to keep it safe. I am having problem with traction now with what I currently have so not really looking to go crazy with the HP. Appreciate any help in making the decision.

I am not in a hurry to purchase the GS so I can wait if KB is intending to finally getting a kit together and not just continuing to string us along.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:31 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by csun213
If I am not looking for high boost but something safe like about 6psi, would you recommend a TVS2300 or KB?
I have 515rwhp, 465TQ at 6psi [and] I am having problem with traction now with what I currently have so not really looking to go crazy with the HP.
I'd recommend staying with a centrifugal supercharger then. Proven, cheaper, and easier to get traction.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:19 AM
Bad News
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I just came across the the new KB system on their website for the 2010 Camaro.

http://www.kennebell.net/supercharge...aro/Camaro.htm

Does anyone know if this is basically the same system that will be used in the Corvette, specifically the head unit? It seems like there in a new "Liquid Cooled" unit available.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:34 AM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Jeff would be the one to ask about anything to do with Kenne Bell.

Get notified of new replies

To TVS 2300 or Kenne Bell 2.8

Old 01-16-2010, 01:41 AM
Bad News
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bullitt4110
Jeff would be the one to ask about anything to do with Kenne Bell.
Thanks just sent him a PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:14 AM
Zteve
Racer

Not sure what these charts have to do with showing the KB to be more efficient. The fact that the KB running at 23.5psi makes more power than the old style Eaton at 14.5psi is only logical since it's running 9 psi more.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:37 AM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Zteve
Not sure what these charts have to do with showing the KB to be more efficient. The fact that the KB running at 23.5psi makes more power than the old style Eaton at 14.5psi is only logical since it's running 9 psi more.
It is showing it is much more efficent running near the same size pulley, making more boost with the same size pulley= more efficent.

Quick Reply: TVS 2300 or Kenne Bell 2.8