C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever wondered if Methanol Injection is worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 05:14 PM
optimum01
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Dewstein and Powerlabs What I dont get(and it didnt happen this time-yet) is when people who use meth kits go into attack mode if you state you dont use it and would rather get good results without depending on it.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:30 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by optimum01
What I dont get(and it didnt happen this time-yet) is when people who use meth kits go into attack mode if you state you dont use it and would rather get good results without depending on it.
One thing I've learned being in a couple of different forums is that people feel personally insulted any time you say something negative about anything they own.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:04 PM
optimum01
Pro

Yea I can see what you are saying but its not being negative- its just saying congrats but I've gone a different route for such and such reasons....and most of the time people are asking for an opinion about it.You give your opinion and POW!I can see what you mean though I guess. Forums....
Old 09-03-2012, 10:06 PM
TRINIC5
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
One thing I've learned being in a couple of different forums is that people feel personally insulted any time you say something negative about anything they own.
I also agree that some of the top shops here gets their names from other members with motives, they are call followers, followers who make other members believe the shops are top rated, I know it as a fact because my C6 was tuned by one with meth and the motor blewup within a week after it was tuned. I owned a vette since 1997 and have been racing it since then, my C5 never blew a motor, I rebuilt it to forged it and its running since 2004 making over 900rwhp and don't have an issue with the motor and tune.

Now every shop followers have their way of putting their 2cents on the table but I am not a follower, I can proove what one top shop did to my car with his tune and meth, nevermind its back on track and running as sweet as it should, thanks to ADAM (ORANGECRUSHHH) and yes I took the meth out and sold it for half price. I preferred to make 30 less RWHP than to have a band-aid waiting for another disaster.

Now the guys who say they tune the car not to depend on Meth are full of crap because if it don't depend on meth, why use it? Meth helps raise the octane and keep the IAT cool which allows you to run more boost and timing, I believe with every degree of timing there is about a 15hp gained, and some guys are gaining up to 60/80 rwhp with meth and no safety for pump failure.
I am aware that on the IAT table timing can be adjusted and if the temperture rises the timing drops within a few degrees, but it also lost power and therefore it will never be consistent with the possibility of it failing.

Now what most people don't say is that methanol is corrosive and methanol stays in anything overnight forms corrosion and most pumps failed because of the corrosion, I had methanol in my C5 when I first built it before guys was even talking about using it (to avoid another argument I am talking about in 2002)and yes, the pump frozen up and failed within a year.
I believe E85 is the better way to go because of its advailability and durability, although its a little more expensive.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:48 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by TRINIC5
I also agree that some of the top shops here gets their names from other members with motives, they are call followers, followers who make other members believe the shops are top rated, I know it as a fact because my C6 was tuned by one with meth and the motor blewup within a week after it was tuned. I owned a vette since 1997 and have been racing it since then, my C5 never blew a motor, I rebuilt it to forged it and its running since 2004 making over 900rwhp and don't have an issue with the motor and tune.

Now every shop followers have their way of putting their 2cents on the table but I am not a follower, I can proove what one top shop did to my car with his tune and meth, nevermind its back on track and running as sweet as it should, thanks to ADAM (ORANGECRUSHHH) and yes I took the meth out and sold it for half price. I preferred to make 30 less RWHP than to have a band-aid waiting for another disaster.

Now the guys who say they tune the car not to depend on Meth are full of crap because if it don't depend on meth, why use it? Meth helps raise the octane and keep the IAT cool which allows you to run more boost and timing, I believe with every degree of timing there is about a 15hp gained, and some guys are gaining up to 60/80 rwhp with meth and no safety for pump failure.
I am aware that on the IAT table timing can be adjusted and if the temperture rises the timing drops within a few degrees, but it also lost power and therefore it will never be consistent with the possibility of it failing.

Now what most people don't say is that methanol is corrosive and methanol stays in anything overnight forms corrosion and most pumps failed because of the corrosion, I had methanol in my C5 when I first built it before guys was even talking about using it (to avoid another argument I am talking about in 2002)and yes, the pump frozen up and failed within a year.
I believe E85 is the better way to go because of its advailability and durability, although its a little more expensive.

I would agree that if you add timing with the meth there is some risk there. Personally I haven't added any and just like that meth lowers my iats some and also keeps things inside the motor clean. As far as the failure issue, that is highly debatable. I read and hear of many more high end fuel system issues then I do meth system issues and a fuel system problem can also have disastrous results. In your case it was a tuning issue and a bad tune doesn't need meth to blow an engine.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by realcanuk
I would agree that if you add timing with the meth there is some risk there. Personally I haven't added any and just like that meth lowers my iats some and also keeps things inside the motor clean. As far as the failure issue, that is highly debatable. I read and hear of many more high end fuel system issues then I do meth system issues and a fuel system problem can also have disastrous results. In your case it was a tuning issue and a bad tune doesn't need meth to blow an engine.
To your point, the high end fuel systems can have their issues. Adding meth to that equation only increases the chances of something going wrong.

At 1000hp I don't want meth to be anything other than cooling the IAT charge.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:01 PM
TRINIC5
Drifting

Originally Posted by Drewstein
To your point, the high end fuel systems can have their issues. Adding meth to that equation only increases the chances of something going wrong.

At 1000hp I don't want meth to be anything other than cooling the IAT charge.
A nice question, how are you going to use it to cool the IAT charge without allow it to get into the intake system and burn into the cylinder?
Now if it did went into the intake and into the cylinder it will be burning and that will increase the octane and can cause a lost in power if the fuel ratio is rich, a car that was not tuned for the extra percentage of fuel octane can loose power and run very rich..
Old 09-05-2012, 12:26 PM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

A nice question, how are you going to use it to cool the IAT charge without allow it to get into the intake system and burn into the cylinder?
Now if it did went into the intake and into the cylinder it will be burning and that will increase the octane and can cause a lost in power if the fuel ratio is rich, a car that was not tuned for the extra percentage of fuel octane can loose power and run very rich..
Depends on how much you run of the stuff.

Your point further illustrates why I just run the right fuel and call it a day.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:14 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

My car is tuned 100% where it needs to be without methanol. My meth system is there purely to keep IATs from hitting the 170+ range. I'm able to maintain MBT timing without issue because my IATs aren't hitting insane areas. I'm not just dumping a ton of timing into it when it cools the IAT. You over-generalize how people use meth, and it's pretty obvious you have never actually set a system up or tuned a car yourself. If my pump fails, I just default to the normal AFR on pump gas that it can handle, and it pulls timing as IATs rise. My car consistently blows off the 345MTs in third gear, never hiccups, and the plugs look perfect on the meth as well as off the meth. Yes, my car runs "rich" on the meth, but not rich enough to cause misfires or a total loss of power. It is about a 60whp difference between meth on, and meth off with my car.

Your pump probably took a crap because you bought a cheap one. That's just speculation.

You do realize that E85 is hygroscopic, right? It'll absorb water the longer it sits, and that water will form rust on parts, especially injector tips. How do you avoid it? You have to purge the system with gasoline before to long, or use enough E85 to constantly push fresh unsaturated fuel through the system. I won't even get into the alcohol content consistency of E85 which ends up pushing stoich all over the place.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:21 PM
TRINIC5
Drifting

Originally Posted by DSteck
My car is tuned 100% where it needs to be without methanol. My meth system is there purely to keep IATs from hitting the 170+ range. I'm able to maintain MBT timing without issue because my IATs aren't hitting insane areas. I'm not just dumping a ton of timing into it when it cools the IAT. You over-generalize how people use meth, and it's pretty obvious you have never actually set a system up or tuned a car yourself. If my pump fails, I just default to the normal AFR on pump gas that it can handle, and it pulls timing as IATs rise. My car consistently blows off the 345MTs in third gear, never hiccups, and the plugs look perfect on the meth as well as off the meth. Yes, my car runs "rich" on the meth, but not rich enough to cause misfires or a total loss of power. It is about a 60whp difference between meth on, and meth off with my car.

Your pump probably took a crap because you bought a cheap one. That's just speculation.

You do realize that E85 is hygroscopic, right? It'll absorb water the longer it sits, and that water will form rust on parts, especially injector tips. How do you avoid it? You have to purge the system with gasoline before to long, or use enough E85 to constantly push fresh unsaturated fuel through the system. I won't even get into the alcohol content consistency of E85 which ends up pushing stoich all over the place.
Good for you
Old 09-06-2012, 02:34 PM
ANGRY Z
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Drewstein
Depends on how much you run of the stuff.

Your point further illustrates why I just run the right fuel and call it a day.
I feel the same. But hey, to each their own...
Old 09-06-2012, 04:06 PM
optimum01
Pro

I was told by a well known engine builder that when he goes into a motor that used meth its usually a mess. Is this not true?(As per the comment made that it CLEANS your engine?)
Old 09-06-2012, 04:38 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Tech Contributor

Good for you
About what I expected.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:09 PM
optimum01
Pro

Play nice !
Old 09-06-2012, 05:44 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by optimum01
I was told by a well known engine builder that when he goes into a motor that used meth its usually a mess. Is this not true?(As per the comment made that it CLEANS your engine?)
I just changed the heads on my car and the combustion chambers and intake runners were abnormally clean. No carbon at all, thanks to meth.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:58 PM
optimum01
Pro

Thanks! Interesting because you hear alot of "facts" but hard to know whats real sometimes. The statements made about E85 above-that it corrodes injectors and whatnot Well its off topic on this Meth thread but from what I've read here- there have been extensive writeups about E85- they say nothing about its corrosive properties. I have seen threads about Meths corrosive properties... That said I know boat owners who say the 10 % ethanol they put in our fuel in NY messes up their outboards..? I dont know about boats so dont know.Dont run meth either.Dont run E85 either-just trying to make sense of it all....
Old 09-07-2012, 10:19 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Meth was the cheapeast horsepower I've ever bought. My old ECS kit was making ~620 with the restrictor plate in. Meth allowed me to remove the restrictor plate for more boost and add timing (via IAT table) and make ~730.

Get notified of new replies

To Ever wondered if Methanol Injection is worth it?

Old 09-07-2012, 10:39 AM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

i was running water/meth in 1980 on a turbo setup i built....does it work, oh yeah....however corrision, pump failures,clogged injector, line leaks make for high maintainance= pita for daily driver
Old 09-07-2012, 11:02 AM
DSteck
Safety Car

Tech Contributor

It's 2012, not 1980.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:30 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by DSteck
It's 2012, not 1980.
C'mon.... what could have changed in 32 years ?

Quick Reply: Ever wondered if Methanol Injection is worth it?