C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever wondered if Methanol Injection is worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 11:51 AM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

what all do you think is different?...it still does the same thing.....you still need a supply tank, pump, lines, injector/nozzle, controller....

so i dont really get your comments.....
Old 09-07-2012, 12:02 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by RFZ
what all do you think is different?...it still does the same thing.....you still need a supply tank, pump, lines, injector/nozzle, controller....

It does the same thing, but the quality of components has come a long way in that time.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:08 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by RFZ

Improved metallurgy, improved machining capability, improved part quality, improved engineering. These kits don't use an injector anymore. Have you looked into what a modern methanol injection system consists of?

Cars today still do the same thing. Fuel is shot into an engine and a spark plug ignites the mixture. What all could possibly be different?
Old 09-07-2012, 12:24 PM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

haven't looked in a few years...but last time i did i was not impressed....give me a kit that to look at so i can see what improvements have been made....

even if the setups are that much better one still has to maintain it, add fluid and so on....for a daily driver it becomes a hassel....been there done that...
Old 09-07-2012, 12:36 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Tech Contributor

Alky Control. All stainless lines that are compatible with methanol, a pump that is fully compatible with methanol, and a very good controller. Filling the meth tank is not a big deal. I have to fill my 1.7 gallon tank about once a month, and if I don't, my engine still won't blow up. There is no maintenance to the system. Fact is, you have zero experience with a modern system. A 1980 meth kit is moot.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:26 PM
greerracing
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drive and build sprint cars which run off 100 percent methanol. We use mechanical fuel injection which can be very temperamental. First methanol actually usually cleans an engine. When the engines are rebuilt they are usually very clean on the inside no worse than any gas engine I've ever seen.

Next, we run very nice annodized fuel lines that normally don't corrode. What I mean by this is that if you leave the lines completely full of methanol for an extended period of time they won't corrode usually. Now if you introduce oxygen into the lines by draining some of the fuel out of the lines it will cause corrosion to form. Alot of my fuel lines are 3 or 4 years old and look brand new . Now when the cars sit over the winter i do pull the lines apart and blow marvel mystery oil through them, this helps prevent corrosion just in case oxygen is introduced into the system.

Finally meth is one of the greatest fuels out there imho . It has a low flash point and an octane of 116. Also it allows people to get 950 horse out of a NA 410 small block chevy. Its a good fuel if you know how to use it properly and have a system that is built for it.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:59 AM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE Fact is, you have zero experience with a modern system. A 1980 meth kit is moot.[/QUOTE]

...are the pumps now indestructible?...do they never ever fail?...do electrical components never fail?..how about the wiring for it?....

i am not saying they dont work...i know first hand what do....

for a daily driver i would rather have it safe tuned without it...
Old 09-08-2012, 02:00 AM
TRINIC5
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

My point is don't matter what the meth users say, if it goes into the intake it richens the quality of fuel and that makes it capable of more timing which will be required because if not the motor will run too rich and cause failure of spark plugs and poor power, so therefore timing has to be added to run the correct air to fuel ratio.
The whole idea is to cool the IAT but enrich the octane to use more timing and then the meth is dependable and if the meth reservoir runs out of meth at wot, a motor will be required, if the pump failed at WOT, a motor is required.
I have tried meth before in my C5 and in my C6, I no longer use it because of the experienced guys behind my build, meth is a band-aid for additional power and most shops that install it has issues trys to piush it to its level
Old 09-08-2012, 08:08 AM
DSteck
Safety Car

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by RFZ
...are the pumps now indestructible?...do they never ever fail?...do electrical components never fail?..how about the wiring for it?....

i am not saying they dont work...i know first hand what do....

for a daily driver i would rather have it safe tuned without it...
Fuel pumps NEVER fail.

Originally Posted by TRINIC5
My point is don't matter what the meth users say, if it goes into the intake it richens the quality of fuel and that makes it capable of more timing which will be required because if not the motor will run too rich and cause failure of spark plugs and poor power, so therefore timing has to be added to run the correct air to fuel ratio.
The whole idea is to cool the IAT but enrich the octane to use more timing and then the meth is dependable and if the meth reservoir runs out of meth at wot, a motor will be required, if the pump failed at WOT, a motor is required.
I have tried meth before in my C5 and in my C6, I no longer use it because of the experienced guys behind my build, meth is a band-aid for additional power and most shops that install it has issues trys to piush it to its level
Again, obvious you've never tuned or set up anything yourself.

Bring that red sled to St. Louis with some cash so my crippled band-aid meth car can punish it over and over.

And over.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

You have little idea of what you're talking about. I've run out of meth before without an issue. I've actually had a pump go bad after a few years before the waterproof sleeves came out and didn't have an issue.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:01 AM
TRINIC5
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DSteck
Fuel pumps NEVER fail.

Bring that red sled to St. Louis with some cash so my crippled band-aid meth car can punish it over and over.

And over.
Never heard about you but if you believe you can do so then good for you, hope you're enjoying your car and for your knowledge, I do.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:30 AM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DSteck
Fuel pumps NEVER fail.

And over.
looked at the alky control setup and i am still not impressed....even less impressed with your comments////

are you the end all of meth installers the god of tuning?....my last system i setup [ about 10 years ago was way ahead of the alky control setup]
watch your comments about what you think other people know...shows how little you know
Old 09-08-2012, 04:07 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Tech Contributor

Never heard about you but if you believe you can do so then good for you, hope you're enjoying your car and for your knowledge, I do.
Then why do you have others doing it for you?

Originally Posted by RFZ
looked at the alky control setup and i am still not impressed....even less impressed with your comments////

are you the end all of meth installers the god of tuning?....my last system i setup [ about 10 years ago was way ahead of the alky control setup]
watch your comments about what you think other people know...shows how little you know
End all? No. But I'm pretty good at what I do.

I'm failing to see what a setup from ten years ago has to do with anything. You have no experience with a modern meth system, period. End of story.

MANY PEOPLE use meth systems and don't nuke when they run out of meth. There are also many tuners/builders who are too stupid or too lazy to properly set a car up to function with and without methanol.

Even cars I tuned a few years ago are still kicking just fine with meth. One of them was too stupid to know what the low level light was and ran his 18psi F1R 427 at the track on just 93 and still didn't grenade.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:56 AM
obzidian
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Epic fail my friend. Quit while you're ahead. Really.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:05 AM
obzidian
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by RFZ

... and you are showing how much you know. D. is not trying to mislead anyone. Meth gets the job done, can be tune to keep your engine alive and is much easier to maintain then some alternative fuels.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:28 AM
optimum01
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Meth threads never go well
Old 09-09-2012, 02:02 PM
user_name
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some prefer to theorize and lecture all others. The rest of us just do with the 140, 150, 160mph traps, 700. 900. 1100rwhp graphs for years. Guess who is who...lmao

Get notified of new replies

To Ever wondered if Methanol Injection is worth it?

Old 09-09-2012, 03:48 PM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by user_name
Some prefer to theorize and lecture all others. The rest of us just do with the 140, 150, 160mph traps, 700. 900. 1100rwhp graphs for years. Guess who is who...lmao
I would love to see more of these.......I have only seen 1 timeslip of a vette hit 160mph unless it was a full bore race car like Mark's. Would love to see more if you have them.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:57 AM
Dragracer_Art
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I can say is... the negative Nellies should try going over to one of the turbo Buick boards and telling them how unreliable/unsafe meth is... Almost everyone on those sites are running meth.
I'll even provide a link to the sites...

www.turbobuick.com

www.turbobuicks.com

I was running 28-30psi in my Buick V6 with a dual nozzle (M10+M15) system and 93 octane. Beat the snot out of that car and never blew it up. I have complete faith in Julio Don / Razor and his meth kits and have been using it for years. There are a ton of trouble-free 9 and 10-sec Turbo V6 Buicks running around with meth.

Anyone who says "their tuner" recommended against using meth ? needs to find a new tuner. PERIOD.

Last edited by Dragracer_Art; 09-10-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:03 AM
Dragracer_Art
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by White_Lightning
TriniC5 stated that his tuner said meth is for idiots and any shop who uses meth are amatures.. so either He's lying.. or not talking about you.
I believe he's used more than one tuner... one of which I also used for my NA tune.

I will not run their name through the muck, as I like the guys and was pleased with my original NA tune. They are also a forum sponsor.
I just chose to go elsewhere when they were afraid to do my FI/Meth tune. Basically told me to pull my 3.4" pulley and meth off the car before coming for the tune. They only wanted to work with the 3.8" pulley and no meth.

Last edited by Dragracer_Art; 09-10-2012 at 01:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Ever wondered if Methanol Injection is worth it?