C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Root or centrifugal

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 10:07 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Skunkworks
Haha, come on guys... we have 3 basic groups for forced induction, centri, PD and turbo. Just like blonds, brunets and red heads, pick one and have fun... All have pluses and minuses. If there was a true winner then we wouldn't have threads like this .

I'm somewhat neutral because it depends on many variables, too many to list.

Pick what suits you and enjoy. But at the same time look at growth potential, if looking for max effort down the road.

That's it and added nothing to topic at hand.

Mike
Old 02-03-2011, 10:08 AM
logan1080
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Roots style is belt driven therefore it turns according to engine rpm. the power comes on quicker. The centrifugal style runs much like a turbo and takes time to "spool up".
Old 02-03-2011, 10:24 AM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by logan1080
Roots style is belt driven therefore it turns according to engine rpm. the power comes on quicker. The centrifugal style runs much like a turbo and takes time to "spool up".
<looks under his hood>

Man I could have sworn that was a belt driving my centrifugal supercharger? I mean it's been a little while since I put it there for the fourth time, but I seem to recall it being there... Is there another drive mechanism for centris that I am not aware of that makes them different from Roots?
Haven't heard the word "spool up" since my Subaru WRX days... So, please do tell, how does a centrifugal supercharger "spool"? Does it "lag" too?
Old 02-03-2011, 10:24 AM
backchannel
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MARSC6
There certainly haven't been any complaints from me. I just see the more torque down low argument over and over every time this debate comes up. Personally I've never tried to race anyone at 2500 rpms. Downshifting works so much better.
The OP question didn't look like it was about racing. Fun goes to pd hands down. Racing can be debated and then turbo needs to be in the comparison also. My tvs goes 140 in the 1/4 at 3300' and I don't see many centri's at my power level compare.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:32 AM
backchannel
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by old motorhead
Catch a ride in both. Better yet...if you're able to drive both, the decision would be easy.

This is you're best plan to choose - testimonials are just personal opinions, usually without enough info.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:41 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by backchannel
The OP question didn't look like it was about racing. Fun goes to pd hands down. Racing can be debated and then turbo needs to be in the comparison also. My tvs goes 140 in the 1/4 at 3300' and I don't see many centri's at my power level compare.
I would consider all of the FI options fun as long as they're reliable. I guess it really just comes down to personal preference.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:49 PM
logan1080
Pro

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
<looks under his hood>

Man I could have sworn that was a belt driving my centrifugal supercharger? I mean it's been a little while since I put it there for the fourth time, but I seem to recall it being there... Is there another drive mechanism for centris that I am not aware of that makes them different from Roots?
Haven't heard the word "spool up" since my Subaru WRX days... So, please do tell, how does a centrifugal supercharger "spool"? Does it "lag" too?
Haha brain fart, whew that was scary I should get checked out.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:49 PM
aTX427
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Changing out the hood adds $2K that can go to have gone to other mods; however, if I was going with a simple bolt on, I would probably add a TVS and be done with it. If you are interested in a forged high boost setup, centri's get you much more for your money.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:07 AM
coolhand5599
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mrc100
Not likely on finding someone in W.NY to take me 4 ride. Let alone both styles. Np. Mc
Fly to Tampa. We have several people that will let you drive a S/C Vette. You could start with mine
Old 02-04-2011, 03:31 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

A waste would be having a supercharger that only boosts power in an rpm band that you rarely visit on the street
I guess if you mean a watered down centri on a wimpy build.

My centri is at 1PSi at idle, makes 500rwtq at 2700, 600rwtq at 3700, 733rwtq at the Tq peak, and I'm detuned for the winter. A PD to me is like a great start then a big let down after 3000rpm.

My car is 0-60 in 2.4 seconds on the street and I see 1000rpm to 3000rpm in about .3 seconds. I guess thats long enough to experience fast for you but my car keeps the experience going to redline, not falling on its face.

I'll race you for your car to 100mph and I will set my rev limiter to 4000rpms in all gears.

Just ragin on ya. Its all in fun.

All S/Cs have their place.

Last edited by SpinMonster; 02-04-2011 at 03:34 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:19 AM
backchannel
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by coolhand5599
Fly to Tampa. We have several people that will let you drive a S/C Vette. You could start with mine
'Spin' would like to race - it might as well be you - and he's offering to handicap himself.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:07 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

There's a thread over on the Camaro5 board comparing these two. If I was 'puter savvy enough, I'd post a link. There were several interesting posts from Livernois. They install all types of 'chargers. They don't care which one you buy. There claim was that 8psi from a belt driven supercharger, no matter the type or brand, would make similar peak power. They even had dyno charts from two identically prepared LS3 motored Camaros. One had a centri and the other had a Maggie TVS2300.

Both were limited to 8psi. This is going to sound crazy. Going against everything I've "learned" on this site, the TVS Camaro made more power on the low end (expected), but made more all the way up. The centri got close at 6000 rpm, but never passed. HMMM. The centri even fell off faster on the top end. Kinda goes against a couple of "points" folks spout when entering into this discussion. The centrI didn't make more with less boost and the Maggie didn't fall off on the top end.

You guys just about had me convinced to swap my 2300's for centri setups. Glad I read this. Whew.....Guess I'll keep 'em

If anyone is interested, the thread is titled "Magnuson TVS2300 and RWHP". It's in the forced induction section on the Camaro5 board.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:16 AM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The centrI didn't make more with less boost and the Maggie didn't fall off on the top end.
Good to see some info based on facts, an actual comparison under controlled conditions.

I have no ax to grind and as has been mentioned, which you choose is a personal choice that will fit your needs and type of driving.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:28 AM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

A waste would be having a supercharger that only boosts power in an rpm band that you rarely visit on the street
You mean like Ferrari's and Lamborghini's that make killer power at the top of the tach. The higher they spin, the more gobs of power they make, all they way to fuel cut off. Thats the way I like my sports car to perform. Not make 600ft lbs at 1500rpm and top out and choke at 5200rpm like a NY city bus.
Centris make great power long before redline. and the pull is a screaming fast rush to redline.
My Centri car hits redline with alarming speed on the street and because it spins so fast to redline it sees it pretty damn often on the road. I understand matting the pedal on a roots car is pointless since it craps out well before redline. No point in even going up there.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:33 AM
aTX427
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

There's a thread over on the Camaro5 board comparing these two. If I was 'puter savvy enough, I'd post a link. There were several interesting posts from Livernois. They install all types of 'chargers. They don't care which one you buy. There claim was that 8psi from a belt driven supercharger, no matter the type or brand, would make similar peak power. They even had dyno charts from two identically prepared LS3 motored Camaros. One had a centri and the other had a Maggie TVS2300.

Both were limited to 8psi. This is going to sound crazy. Going against everything I've "learned" on this site, the TVS Camaro made more power on the low end (expected), but made more all the way up. The centri got close at 6000 rpm, but never passed. HMMM. The centri even fell off faster on the top end. Kinda goes against a couple of "points" folks spout when entering into this discussion. The centrI didn't make more with less boost and the Maggie didn't fall off on the top end.

You guys just about had me convinced to swap my 2300's for centri setups. Glad I read this. Whew.....Guess I'll keep 'em

If anyone is interested, the thread is titled "Magnuson TVS2300 and RWHP". It's in the forced induction section on the Camaro5 board.
I would expect those results from a bolt on kit and don't think many would argue the results; however, the centri will give you more room for growth. If that is not important, then the top mount works well, but start adding boost (on this platform at least) and they can't make the same power. Ask Vetethreat - he found the limit. Very respectful numbers, but he would be over 1,000hp with an F1R.

Last edited by aTX427; 02-04-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:12 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by aTX427
I would expect those results from a bolt on kit and don't think many would argue the results; however, the centri will give you more room for growth. If that is not important, then the top mount works well, but start adding boost (on this platform at least) and they can't make the same power. Ask Vetethreat - he found the limit. Very respectful numbers, but he would be over 1,000hp with an F1R.
I agree 100%. The OP was wanting a "street" system. At least that's the way I interpreted his initial post. My comments were based on just such a system. No doubt a bigger blower has more room on the top side. I would not try to make much over 700 wheel with a TVS. It can be done, but you reach the laws of diminishing returns pretty quick after that. Just sayin....for a street system (read that, under 700 wheel), there's not a more fun system to be had than the TVS. I'm sure KB and Whipple are in there too. I just have no experience with them. Maybe the bigger t'screws would move that 700 up higher.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Wulverine
Le Mans Master

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I agree 100%. The OP was wanting a "street" system. At least that's the way I interpreted his initial post. My comments were based on just such a system. No doubt a bigger blower has more room on the top side. I would not try to make much over 700 wheel with a TVS. It can be done, but you reach the laws of diminishing returns pretty quick after that. Just sayin....for a street system (read that, under 700 wheel), there's not a more fun system to be had than the TVS. I'm sure KB and Whipple are in there too. I just have no experience with them. Maybe the bigger t'screws would move that 700 up higher.
TVS 2300's typically max out on a GT500 at 650 to 700 rwhp. Stock displacement GT500's are making north of 800rwhp with the big KB and whipple blowers. Heck, my cobra makes 600rwhp at 19psi on a 2.3L whipple with the factory stock longblock. I would love to see what a built 427 would make with a Kb 3.6 LC mammoth or Whipple 3.4L crusher.

Last edited by Wulverine; 02-04-2011 at 11:39 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Root or centrifugal

Old 02-04-2011, 12:10 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Wulverine
TVS 2300's typically max out on a GT500 at 650 to 700 rwhp. Stock displacement GT500's are making north of 800rwhp with the big KB and whipple blowers. Heck, my cobra makes 600rwhp at 19psi on a 2.3L whipple with the factory stock longblock. I would love to see what a built 427 would make with a Kb 3.6 LC mammoth or Whipple 3.4L crusher.
Hood swap is a tough sell with this crowd. Those big twinscrews would even need a bigger hump.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:35 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by NYC6
You mean like Ferrari's and Lamborghini's that make killer power at the top of the tach. The higher they spin, the more gobs of power they make, all they way to fuel cut off. Thats the way I like my sports car to perform. Not make 600ft lbs at 1500rpm and top out and choke at 5200rpm like a NY city bus.
Centris make great power long before redline. and the pull is a screaming fast rush to redline.
My Centri car hits redline with alarming speed on the street and because it spins so fast to redline it sees it pretty damn often on the road. I understand matting the pedal on a roots car is pointless since it craps out well before redline. No point in even going up there.
Pound of boost centri vs pound of boost TVS, there's just not much difference until you get north of 10psi. Absolutely a centri at 12 is pulling harder than a TVS at less boost. When you get north of 10, you're getting into territory that screams for a built motor. I didn't think the OP was talking built motors. A TVS making 615 at 8psi at 6500rpm is pulling just as hard as a centri at 8psi making 615 at 6500rpm. The TVS is just pulling harder all the way up:thumbs. Sure you can easily bump the centri up if you want more power, but it comes with more risk. As some point, you cease having a reliable street machine and get into mod madness.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:00 PM
morganjo5
Instructor

I have a 2008 Z06 with KooKs Long Tube Headers, Bassani Exhaust, Halltech intake and ZR1 wheels and tires - adds about 30 to 35 hp. Even with a running start and then hitting the gas, I smoke the tires. How can you add high low end torque and not make the wheel spin worst. Isn't it best to add torque and hp higher up in the rev band for better performance without additional wheel spin? Thanks.

Z06

Quick Reply: Root or centrifugal